Wireless setup for Brother 2170W

Solved
  1. Saphira2021

Saphira2021 Member PCHF $Donator Gold Member

Local time:
    16:30
    My System

I am trying to set up Brother laser printer for wireless printing. printer is brand new. i follow the setup wizard but it is unable to find my network. i have read on the internet that it is a difficult setup, but i am not able to get anywhere. i already disabled firewall as it instructs and was trying for a setup with usb cable as suggested for easier setup. it is not working for me. one of the reasons i think is because it said that the other side of printer cable is supposed to be plugged into the router for the setup, but my router does not have usb slot.
    I have 4 functional wireless computers on the network, WAP (what ever that means) and locked network.
    I follow instructions well, but these don't show me anything i can follow.
    ?*?don't know what to do. any help? thanks!
  2. pupuplader

pupuplader Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    14:30
    My System

Hey ebaskin welcome back,

I have opened your thread so you can get some input.

Regards,
    Pupuplader
  3. fixit

fixit New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:30
    My System

hello ebaskin

your printer is it the hl 2170w ? .
    i think you may be mistaken when reading the setup as you say it has a usb cable ,but your router does not have a usb port . the problem you are having is that this printer has 3 ways of being set up ,
    1) it can be set up by connecting a usb cable to the printer and connecting the other end to your computer .
    2 ) it can be set up using a cat 5 ethernet cable ,one end plugged into your printer and the other end plugged into your router . and
    3 ) it will connect wirelessly direct from printer to the wireless router .

the manual does say the easiest way to INITIALLY set the wireless connection between your printer and router up is to use an ethernet cable
    and configure
    in Infrastructure mode, using a network cable temporarily

the instructions i have found are here http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc002312/hl2170w_eng_qsg_2.pdf

and go to page 22 of the manual ,this should help in setting your system up to use the printer wirelessly after the initial setup using the ethernet cable

please note the manual says if you have previously set up (or possibly tried unsuccessfully) then it is recommended to reset the printer back to defaults and start over by inserting the driver disk and following the instructions to install the driver .

i hope this has shed a little light on your issue and please let us know if you need more guidance :)

4. Saphira2021

Saphira2021 Member PCHF $Donator Gold Member

Local time:
    My System

please mark this solved. thank you for your help
  5. pupuplader

pupuplader Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    14:30
    My System

Marked as solved ebaskin.

See you around the forum.
  6. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.