Windows update won't install

1. suspended

suspended Active Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    23:43
    My System

Your goal with the Belarc Advisor is to ensure that your system is completely up tp date. That is the function of windows update. Until your system is completely updated you will have serious security weaknesses.

On the right side of the report it tells you whether your system is up to date. If not,then click on the section to find what updates are missing. These will have to be installed manually from the standalone installs on Microsoft.com. Some updates may be dependent on another update being installed.

If you have many updates which keep failing in your update history then this is a sign that something is drastically wrong with windows update and a repair install would be in order. Please provide us with a copy of your Belarc Advisor to determine the next step.

Attached Files:

2. Dewyd

Dewyd Member Silver Member

Local time:
    My System

SecuPro; You do not have to disable "bits", it is not dependent on "wuauserv".

One Liner:
    net stop wuauserv&rd /s /q %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution&net start wuaserv

R. Thanks Secupro. I entered your command as shown, but got a message: "The Windows update service is stopping. The Windows update service was stopped successfully. The service name is invalid. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185."

I saw the spelling of "wuaserv" was different than the "wuauserv" spelled previously. So I re-entered the same command above with the "wuauserv" spelling. Then got the following message: "System error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as a installed service. The system cannot find the file specified. The Windows update service was started successfully.

I just checked Windows update and I see a big Red X. Then shows most recent check for updates: Never. So I will restart the computer and run a update check to see what happens?

Thanks, Dewyd.
  3. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

So I restarted and the M.S. NET Framework [MSNF] 2.0 update still won't install. Windows update installs the other security updates, but not MSNF 2.0.

Belarc Advisor shows MSNF 2.0.50727.4016, being on my computer. Computer Management-Services-lists MSNF 2.0 as "stopped", with a manual start up. This was the same way yesterday, so I started it and set it to automatic.

Today Windows updated MS Visual C++ 2005 SP1 [KB2538242]. I re-scanned Belarc Advisor and it lists two MS Sec. Update as missing, one of which is the update I just installed? So I'm not to sure about that? Although it lists the other problematic update MSNF 2.0.

I already tried installing the 2.0 update from the MS site, no go.

MSNF 2.0 according to Computer Management, doesn't rely on other programs, and vice versa.

I only seem to have a update problem with the one we are talking about. Otherwise updates have been installing normally.

Do you think uninstalling MSNF 2.0, and re-installing a 2.0 version with the update already in the package would work?

Lastly, can I highlight the parts of the Belarc Advisor chart that I want to post, copy it, but I don't know what to do next, and post it here? I'm not sure how to do that [post it here]?

Thanks, Dewyd.
  4. jenae

jenae New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    04:43
    My System

Hi, bit of a case of too many cooks, You DO need to run the cmd as admin and you can string them together however the example given has the wrong syntax, You are trying to delete a windows folder and all it's contents SoftwareDistribution , from a cmd as admin type:-

net stop wuauserv (press enter)

next :-

net stop BITS (press enter)

next:-

rd /s /q %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution (press enter)

Next:-

Net start wuauserv (press enter)

Next:-

Net start BITS (press enter)

This is the safest way for you now.

It has nothing to do with service dependencies, both wuauserv and BITS have a handle on the sotwaredistribution folder.
  5. SecuPro

SecuPro ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ Elite Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

BITS has no influence on the wu cache at all if wuauserv is not active or stopped.

net stop wuauserv&rd /s /q %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution&net start wuaserv
    Syntax is right, service name isn't.
  6. suspended

Local time:
    My System

Since this is the only update you are having problems with according to Belar Advisor, there is no need to upload the Belarc Report. Those red x's are something new they added since the last time I saw the report.

To review then, this is the one and only MSNF 2.0 update that will not install. MSNF 2.0 SP2 installed on 1-5-12 after 6 failed attempts. An update should install on the first try. Maybe you should look at your update history to determine why it failed so many times.

I believe the only way to uninstall MSNF 2.0 SP2 is through windows update/installed updates since you said it does not appear in control panel. This would be my next step in progression to solving this problem.

Uninstall it from windows update, then do a check for updates from windows update. It should then appear again in the list of updates to be installed. It may have become corrupted during the 6 attempts to install it in the first place.
  7. suspended

Local time:
    My System

I have been able to gather together some information for Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 as it applies to Windows Vista. I hope it helps in the resolution of the problem.

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 is preinstalled in Windows Vista SP0. Any attempt to install Microsoft .Net 2.0 in Windows Vista SP0 will fail with the error message that the software is already installed. Since I don't have Windows Vista SP0, I do not know which updates are applicable to Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0, but this is irrelevant because the OP has Windows Vista SP2 installed.

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 is preinstalled in Windows Vista SP1. Any attempt to install Microsoft .Net 2.0 SP1 in Windows Vista SP1 wll fail with the error message that the software is already installed. Since I don't have Windows Vista SP1, I do not know which updates are applicable to Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP1, but this is irrelevant because the OP has Windows Vista SP2 installed.

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 is preinstalled in Windows Vista SP2. Any attempt to install Microsoft .Net 2.0 SP2 in Windows Vista SP2 will fail with the error message that the software is already installed. Since I do have Windows Vista SP2, I do know which updates are applicable to Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and this is relevant because some confusion exists as to what was installed by windows update.

Since Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 came preinstalled with Windows Vista SP2, it cannot be reinstalled. If it has become corrupted, then a repair install for Windows Vista SP2 is in order. The OP is confusing KB2656362 a security update with the actual installation of Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Sp2.

The security updates(in the order they are presented by window update) which apply to Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 for Windows Vista SP2 are:

(1) Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-078 - Critical : Vulnerability in .NET Framework and Microsoft Silverlight Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2604930) KB2572075

(2) Microsoft Security Bulletin MS12-016 - Critical : Vulnerabilities in .NET Framework and Microsoft Silverlight Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2651026) KB2633874

(3) Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-100 - Critical : Vulnerabilities in .NET Framework Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2638420) KB2656362

Please ensure that all three of these updates are installed or in process of being installed. You may want to return to square one and uninstall any of the updates that may be already installed. Then let windows update find and install the updates in the order in which they appear.
  8. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

suspended: Thanks for the info.

I meant, but did not include the word "security" to the below sentence.

I also checked my previous Windows security updates and I found that on 1-5-12, after 6 failed attempts M.S. NETFramework 2.0 SP2 security update [KB265632], successfully installed.

So I presume that the Windows update [KB2633874], is trying to update that program, but not succeeding for some reason?

I never heard of SP0?

I will try uninstalling the updates if I can and post back.

Thanks, dewd.
  9. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    00:43
    My System

Save The Tool Below to your desktop Right Click Run AS Admin.
    FarbarServiceScanner

[​IMG]

Tick "All" options.
    Press "Scan".
    It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
  10. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

SecuPro appreciate your replies, could you respond to my post #32 and tell me what you think?

Thanks, dewyd.
  11. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

Malnutrition:

Thanks for your post.

I ran that scanner and it came back okay or legit. It gave me no option to save to my desktop or run as admin. Just save and run the scanner. If I did something incorrectly?, let me know. When the FSS.txt log came up, I right clicked to copy, but the word "copy" was grey, so no log?

Just for the record, I also tried disabling the M.S.S.E. firewall and virus protection and tried installing that problem update, but that didn't install the update either.

This problem update is constantly trying to update, trying to and does shut down my computer at inopportune times. Like when I am in the middle of doing something important, drafting paperwork, meeting, or presentation of paperwork, etc. Very annoying.

Thanks, Dewyd.
  12. suspended

Local time:
    My System

I can't understand why you don't have KB2572075. You might want to install that from the standalone install on Microsoft.com.

I had an instance where an update wouldn't install because it was already partially installed due to a bad shutdown. I eventually found the update in the registry and deleted the packages for it and then it was able to install.

The packages for this update KB2633874 are at the following locations in the registry. Make sure you delete all the keys. Backup your registry by taking a restore point prior to deleting the keys:
    Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ApplicabilityEvaluationCache\Package_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_7_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874_client_2~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874_client~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0

To delete the registry keys you will have to take ownership and give the administrators group full control of the following registry key:

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

Make sure you tick the "apply to subcontainers" block when you give permissions so it filters down through all of the subkeys.
  13. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    00:43
    My System

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.ph...48a38eb328614e

Install the program then run it go straight to option 4 Create a system restore point,Also back up the registry.
    Select the items shown ticked, after the reboot then try again
    [​IMG]

Then hit the start button let it run its course if the programme doesnt automatically reboot your machine then do so manually.
  14. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

suspended; I can't understand why you don't have KB2572075. You might want to install that from the standalone install on Microsoft.com.

R. I'm not sure what or where you got "I don't have KB2572075" from? Actually, I tried uninstalling this update 3 times from Windows installed updates, but it was still there upon restart, so...?

I had an instance where an update wouldn't install because it was already partially installed due to a bad shutdown. I eventually found the update in the registry and deleted the packages for it and then it was able to install.

R. This is what I referred to and asked previously in this thread. Just go to the source [registry] and delete the malfunctioning security update package, or the whole M.S. NetFramework 2.0 program and reinstall it, if possible?

The packages for this update KB2633874 are at the following locations in the registry. Make sure you delete all the keys. Backup your registry by taking a restore point prior to deleting the keys:
    Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ApplicabilityEvaluationCache\Package_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_7_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874_client_2~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874_client~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2633874~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0

To delete the registry keys you will have to take ownership and give the administrators group full control of the following registry key:

R. This part [in blue] I'm not following completely, how do I do this part? To bad revo doesn't pick up this Network 2.0 program. Revo does a good job of finding subkeys & other related stuff to delete.

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

Make sure you tick the "apply to subcontainers" block when you give permissions so it filters down through all of the subkeys.

R. Where will I see this part?

Thanks, Dewyd
  15. Dewyd

Local time:
    My System

Malnutrition; Download Windows Repair (all in one) from
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.ph...48a38eb328614e

R. Okay, so I did all this and went to Windows updates and the same two updates were still there, still wouldn't install.

I also started having a problem with M.S. Visual C++ SP1 Redistributable Package [KB2538242], trying to keep installing itself. This program has installed itself successfully several times.

So now I have two updates continuously trying to update, install, fails, reverts back to where it was before, shuts down, then restarts, sign back in, where was I before?, etc. several times a day, fun stuff? So like I've spent 4-6 hrs. today alone with this.

I also ran tdsskiller twice which came back clean, with the exception of one unsigned driver file: NTIDrvr. I got this before and was told I am okay with this driver.

I also ran Malwarebytes scanner which came back okay.

I have Combo Fix on my computer, wonder if this would work a fix?

Thanks, Dewyd.