Windows 8 - On going Leaks, etc...

1. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    21:41
    My System

How will Windows 8 tablets fare against Amazon's Kindle Fire?

Windows 8 tablets, expected out in 2012, have some new and formidable competition from Amazon’s newly announced Kindle Fire tablet.

Almost every analysis I’ve read today about the just announced Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon pits the Kindle Fire against the iPad and various Android tablets.

Even though Windows 8 tablets are still possibly a year away from shipping, Microsoft needs to be factored in here, too..

Will potential new tablet buyers want this?

How will Windows 8 tablets fare against Amazon's Kindle Fire? | ZDNet
  2. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Preview Sends Feedback Automatically, Including Software and Hardware Info

Early adopters get to play with the Developer Preview of Windows 8 for free and Microsoft gets feedback in return.

This quid pro quo arrangement must already be familiar to all testers of the company’s software products, since it traditionally governs all pre-releases of future technologies from the Redmond giant.

Of course, Microsoft makes no secret about harvesting user data from early adopters testing Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 Milestone 3 (M3).

Windows 8 Preview Sends Feedback Automatically, Including Software and Hardware Info - Softpedia

3. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Don’t Use Expired Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 M3 - After March 8, 2012

Early adopters currently testing the first public development milestone of Windows 8 lose all rights to use the Developer Preview release once Build 8102 Milestone 3 (M3) has passed its expiration deadline, according to Microsoft.

As is the case with all pre-release software, and Windows 8 Build 8102 M3 is as pre-release as it gets, Windows Developer Preview is time-bombed.

This means that Microsoft has slapped an expiration date onto the first public test Build of Windows 8.

Don?t Use Expired Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 M3 - After March 8, 2012 - Softpedia
  4. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Charms, Tiles, Apps, Start Screen International Terminology

The Windows Developer Preview is quite limited in terms of localization, which is understandable, especially considering that the Build 8102 release still belongs to the Milestone 3 (M3) stage of the development process.

For the time being, Microsoft is offering the three Developer Preview Builds of Windows 8 exclusively in English, but as the operating system will reach Beta, additional language flavors are bound to be offered to testers worldwide.

Further on the development process, the Redmond company will localize Windows 8 into tens of languages, getting it ready for international release.

Windows 8 Charms, Tiles, Apps, Start Screen International Terminology - Softpedia
  5. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Build 8102 Can Keep Consuming Battery When Switching from Sleep to Hibernation

In certain scenarios, early adopters testing the Windows Developer Preview can find that their devices have drained the battery even if they put Windows 8 Build 8102 Milestone 3 (M3) to sleep.

Microsoft has confirmed an issue with Windows 8 Developer Preview in which the operating system keeps on consuming battery power despite testers putting their devices to sleep.

While some early adopters running the Windows 8 Developer Preview might experience this issue, not all testers can come across it.

Windows 8 Build 8102 Can Keep Consuming Battery When Switching from Sleep to Hibernation - Softpedia
  6. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

What Will Windows 8 Mobile Be Like?

In the past several months, we’ve gotten our first look at what Microsoft’s Windows 8 will look like for the PC and tablet platform. The main interface has been overhauled to resemble the current Windows 7 interface and to be more tablet-friendly. Given these changes in the PC and tablet space, it’s only natural that we wonder what the mobile version of Windows 8 will look like. Currently, not much has been confirmed about the upcoming update, other than that its code name is Apollo. Here, we’ll look a little deeper into what’s been said so far and try to imagine what Apollo will be like.

What Will Windows 8 Mobile Be Like?

7. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

CSS3 text-shadow in IE10 on 8

IE10 in the Windows Developer Preview introduces support for hardware-accelerated CSS3 text-shadow. Text-shadow is one of the top requested features from Web developers. It enables text effects that were previously difficult or impossible to accomplish in a standards-friendly way without resorting to inline images of text.

More...
    CSS3 text-shadow in IE10 - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    zigzag3143 likes this.
  8. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Where is Microsoft Heading with Windows 8?

With the entire tech world buzzing about the Windows Developer Preview for Windows 8, everyone is wondering what Microsoft is exactly planning with the early versions of Windows 8. And then, even when someone has a valid idea of Microsoft’s strategy...

Where is Microsoft Heading with Windows 8? | WindowsTalk.org
  9. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Metro Apps Can Run Even If Suspended Tanks to Background Tasks

Some aspects for Metro apps in Windows 8 can remain active and continue running even if the user has pushed them to the background, suspending them.

The new Metro platform of the next major iteration of the Windows client suspends any opened Metro apps that customers are not using, providing a fully immersive experience only for the application that’s in focus.

“The foreground app is assumed to be the most important to the user, so this app receives all the resources of the system,” Microsoft reveals.

Windows 8 Metro Apps Can Run Even If Suspended Tanks to Background Tasks - Softpedia
  10. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 AV Detected Only 50% of Malware Samples Thrown at It, Says Sophos

The built-in security solution of Windows 8, Windows Defender, managed to detect only half of the malicious code samples thrown at it in a very basic test by Chester Wisniewski, a senior security advisor at Sophos Canada.

Wisniewski revealed that he installed the Windows Developer Preview in a virtual machine and tested it against a selection of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux malware.

The conclusion? Wisniewski stresses that the Windows 8 antivirus still has a long way to go.

Windows 8 AV Detected Only 50% of Malware Samples Thrown at It, Says Sophos - Softpedia

11. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    04:41
    My System

Kedar likes this.
  12. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    09:41
    My System

== Re-located to Windows 8 Forum ==
  13. XPforever

XPforever Pessimism is the foundation of survival. Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    04:41
    My System

14. KimBa

KimBa New Member

Local time:
    10:41
    My System

What kind of advance do I have as a Windows 8 user?