Local time:
    02:57
    My System

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI

Quick summary
    * UEFI allows firmware to implement a security policy
    * Secure boot is a UEFI protocol not a Windows 8 feature
    * UEFI secure boot is part of Windows 8 secured boot architecture
    * Windows 8 utilizes secure boot to ensure that the pre-OS environment is secure
    * Secure boot doesn’t “lock out” operating system loaders, but is is a policy that allows firmware to validate authenticity of components
    * OEMs have the ability to customize their firmware to meet the needs of their customers by customizing the level of certificate and policy management on their platform
    * Microsoft does not mandate or control the settings on PC firmware that control or enable secured boot from any operating system other than Windows

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
  2. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Gartner warns that Windows 8 tablets won’t be iPad killers.

A warning to Microsoft from research firm Gartner that the longer the company delays the release of Windows 8, the less of an appeal it might have with consumers and the more the buzz around the new OS will have worn away.

Basically, the upshot is that the longer Microsoft waits, the more ground iOS and Android gains.
    The current buzz around Windows 8 driven by the demonstrations seen at the Build conference might be short-lived if Microsoft’s push to use the new OS across devices comes at a compromise in usability. Moreover, the late arrival might limit its appeal, especially to consumers, as Apple and Android will be more entrenched by then. Microsoft’s platform will find its biggest opportunities in the enterprise segment, where IT departments could benefit from smoother integration with existing Microsoft software.

Gartner: Late arrival of Windows 8 might limit its appeal | ZDNet

zigzag3143 likes this.
  3. Belahzur

Belahzur Banned

Local time:
    14:57
    My System

4. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Get Yourself A Windows 8 Developer Tablet

I’m sure those of you who have been following our coverage of Windows 8 over the last couple of weeks will know that Microsoft gave away a bunch of free tablets to the developers in attendance. There was nearly 5,000 developers in attendance and Microsoft promised them all a free Samsung tablet running the developer preview of Windows 8 so they could get cracking and develop some apps for it.

Get Yourself A Windows 8 Developer Tablet

zigzag3143 likes this.
  5. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

6. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Metro Apps Will Only Be Available From Microsoft’s App Store

I’m sure all of you know about the new Metro UI in Windows 8 which is built up mainly from apps. Microsoft demonstrated just how easy it is to build these apps and all the new elements that they add to the Windows operating system. Microsoft also confirmed that the only way to legally get these Windows 8 Metro Apps will be from the Windows 8 App Store.

Is it just me or does this scenario sound familiar? It looks like Microsoft are following Apple here, by limiting where you can get apps for your PC. One of the main reasons people prefer Windows is because it’s so open, anyone can develop an app or program for it and install it. It doesn’t have to go through a long painful certification process which wastes time and money. I can download a program from anywhere on the web, and if a developer feels like charging me for it, I can buy it through them directly.

Windows 8 Metro Apps Will Only Be Available From Microsoft's App Store
  7. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

8. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Warning, Don’t Use Windows 8

was sold on an iPad 2 before I left for the BUILD conference last week. I told my friends I’d get one. I had gone through all the pros and cons. “I couldn’t wait” to, all of a sudden, be upgraded to a new level coolness.

Then, on a small one hour break from BUILD when I couldn’t find any interesting sessions from an end user point of view, I walked into a BestBuy some 2 miles from the Anaheim Convention Center.

Warning, Don?t Use Windows 8 - Softpedia

9. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Microsoft Thinks They Got Windows 8 Right

Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 Milestone 3 (M3) has been available for download for more than a week now, and news of the upcoming Windows client from Microsoft is bound to have reverberated around the world.

The first taste of Windows 8, offered at BUILD, was certainly met with a great deal of enthusiasm from those attending the conference, as well as for early adopters waiting for the bits with bated breath.

Microsoft Thinks They Got Windows 8 Right - Softpedia

zigzag3143 likes this.
  10. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Windows 8 Tablet: Too Little, Too Late?

Even though Microsoft has yet to produce a media tablet that can compete with the iPad or Android-powered devices, the company's efforts around such a device got some much needed attention last week when it previewed Windows 8, which is geared toward tablets and PCs. But the buzz may have been just a blip.
    In a new report, consulting firm Gartner said Microsoft is so late to the tablet market that it may, in fact, be too late. Gartner is also worried that, to enable its tablet strategy, Microsoft will for the first time develop a version that runs on system-on-a-chip architectures.

Windows 8 Tablet: Too Little, Too Late? - Windows - Microsoft news - Informationweek
  11. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

HTC Shift running Windows 8 (video)

The HTC Shift was a brilliant idea crippled by a misguided implementation.

It was HTC’s first and only Windows laptop which also featured a dual boot environment running Windows Mobile with an HTC overlay but which was not allowed to run Windows Mobile applications.

Microsoft News » HTC Shift running Windows 8 (video)

zigzag3143 likes this.
  12. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Reengineering the Windows boot experience

Phew! We're all back from BUILD and focused on our next milestone. It is fair to say we had an awesome time showing everyone Windows 8 in depth and all of our speakers and Microsoft attendees are unbelievably appreciative for the warm reception you gave the product. We know it is early still--a developer preview--and there are lots of questions. We're going to be answering them in new posts as we focus on using the Windows Developer Preview (WDP) as a baseline--so if you haven't been running it, consider it sort of like a prerequisite for many of the blog posts.

Reengineering the Windows boot experience - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
  13. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Microsoft massively expands its data centres for Windows 8

Microsoft is investing $150 million to expand its new data center in southern Virginia and will build a second data center facility and add 21 megawatts of power capacity at its new location in Boydton, Virginia, even as it is still completing the $499 million first phase of the project.

Microsoft is also believed to be expanding its data centers in West Des Moines, Iowa and Dublin, Ireland.

Microsoft News » Microsoft massively expands its data centres for Windows 8

14. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

Will Metro and Desktop Apps in Windows 8 Divide and Confuse?

Yesterday Robert wrote about what many of use were expecting, that Metro apps in Windows 8 would only be available through the new Windows Store. Windows 8 will support, as we know, both the new style Metro apps and also the traditional desktop software too. But will this dual-software approach cause confusion and division with Windows users?

It can safely be said that the new Metro apps will be predominantly used by users of Tablets and smaller form-factor computer users with touch screens. There will be some other useful applications for Metro apps however, especially with young children, the elderly, people with learning or physical difficulties and disabilities and whole sections of society classed as computer novices. Metro therefore can have an extremely wide reach straight out of the launch door.

Will Metro and Desktop Apps in Windows 8 Divide and Confuse?
  15. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

50 Windows 8 tips, tricks and secrets

Tutorial: Hints and tips to help you get more from Windows 8

Need some Windows 8 tips? Here's 50

It's far from finished, but the Developer Preview edition of Windows 8 is already packed with important additions, from the colourful Metro interface, to a revamped Explorer, appealing desktop applets, useful system repair options, and more.

In places, though, Windows 8 is also very different to what's gone before. So if you've installed the new Windows 8 build, perhaps on a virtual machine but found yourself a little lost, don't worry - read our Windows 8 tips and tricks and you'll soon be back on track, and taking a close-up view at some of the best features Windows 8 has to offer.

50 Windows 8 tips, tricks and secrets | News | TechRadar UK
    zigzag3143 likes this.