1. This is a legacy read only section. Please do not add anything new to this forum as the new Resources Section replaces this now.

Windows 7 Hints and Tips.

1. Jelly Bean

Jelly Bean Local PC Noobie.... Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    03:00
    My System

Add-ons:

Add-ons can cause slow loading pages.

Open IE8/Tools/Manage Add-ons/scroll right in the list view o see which add-on is taking the most time to load.

Quick Launch is missing:

Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars / New Toolbar.

In the folder selection dialog, enter the following string and hit OK:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Turn off the lock the taskbar setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that Show text and Show title are disabled and the view is set to small icons.

Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again.

Vista looking Task Bar:

Right-click on the taskbar and choose the properties dialog. Select the small icons checkbox and under the taskbar buttons setting, choose combine when taskbar is full.

ISO burner:

Double-click on any DVD or CD .ISO image and a little box popsup.You can now burn an ISO.

Windows 7 install from USB pen drive:

Take a 4GB USB 2.0 thumbdrive, reformat it as FAT32, and simply copy the contents of the Windows 7 Beta ISO image to the memory stick using xcopy e:\ f:\ /e /f (where e: was the DVD drive and f: was the removable drive location).

Nic Fillinghams Top 15 Apps and Codecs Pack downloads:

01. Windows Live Essentials suite - FREE
    Includes Windows Live Messenger, Photo Gallery, Writer & Mail. Also includes Silverlight

02. Live Mesh - FREE
    All my files are synced across my various machines with Live Mesh. I also take full advantage of the 5GB of cloud storage

03. WinRAR - Shareware (US$29)
    My favorite compression and archiving tool. Supports basically any archive format you throw at it including ISO and Linux archives

04. AVG Free Anti-Virus - FREE
    Light weight, free anti-virus protection. Does require updates to be manually installed though

05. Firefox (plus Flash & DownThemAll) - FREE
    IE8 is my default browser however it is still in beta and there are a few web sites out there that render better in Firefox. DownThemAll is an amazing download utility that dramatically speeds up download times

06. VLC Media Player - FREE
    Basically a Quicktime replacement as VLC can playback most *.MOV files

07. Xvid Codec - FREE
    *Update* Windows Media Player 12 (found in the Windows 7 beta) natively supports Xvid, Divx and MP4 codecs however if (like me) you have a couple of videos in your collection that don't play correctly try installing the Xvid codec.
    For decoding Xvid, Divx and MP4 video files in Windows Media Player

08. AC3 Filter - FREE
    *Update* As above - you may not need this codec but if you find you're not getting any sound when plating back a video file it might an AC3/DTS issue.
    Audio filter that enables Windows Media Player to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks

09. ImgBurn - FREE
    *Update* Windows 7 burns ISO images natively so this tool is mainly used for creating ISO images.
    Great CD/DVD burning and ISO creation utility

10. Easy CD-DA Extractor - 30 Day Free Trial (US$37)
    *Update* I primarily use Easy CD-DA Extractor for converting from one file format to the other ie. lossless to MP3 and for the odd CD that WMP12 is unable to rip for me.
    "The Swiss Army Knife of Digital Audio" pretty much sums up Easy CD-DA Extractor. I still buy physical CD's from real music stores,... how crazy is that!! Easy CD-DA Extractor allows me to back-up my discs and convert to MP3 for storage on my Windows Home Server

11. Paint.NET - FREE
    *Update* The new Paint application in Windows 7 is a great update but if you need to work with some basic layers or some more advanced features then Paint.NET is a great tool.
    Simple yet powerful free Photoshop alternative. Not quite as comprehensive as GIMP but does the basics and does them well

12. SharePod - FREE
    iTunes alternative for transferring tracks on (and off) ipods

13. Skype (version 4.0 Beta 3) - FREE
    I think we all know what Skype is

14. FileZilla - FREE
    Light weight, free FTP Utility. Supports file resume

15. Microsoft Office 2007 - 60 Day Free Trial (from US$80)
    Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are my essentials although Windows Live Mail is a great alternative if you don't need the complexity of Outlook

2. Jelly Bean

Local time:
    My System

Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts:

Win+Up Maximise

Win+Down Restore/Maximise

Win+Left Snap to Left

Win+Right Snap to Right

Win+Shift+Left Jump to Left Monitor

Win+Shift+Right Jump to Right Monitor

Win+Home Minimise/Restore all other Windows

Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry/Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.

Win+Space Peek at the desktop

Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the Z-order

Win+P External display options (mirror, extend desktop, etc)

Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but still handy!)

Win+#
    (# = a number key) Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.

Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.

Win + +
    Win + -
    (plus or minus key) Zoom in or out.

Windows Explorer:

Alt+P Show/hide Preview Pane

Taskbar modifiers:

Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance

Middle click on icon Open a new instance

Ctrl + Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges

Shift + Right-click on icon Show window menu (Restore / Minimize / Move / etc)

Note: Normally you can just right-click on the window thumbnail to get this menu

Shift + Right-click on grouped icon Menu with Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.

Ctrl + Click on grouped icon Cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group

3. Jelly Bean

Local time:
    My System

Reverting back to Vista:

If you used the upgrade to Windows 7 then you decide ewwwww I do not like that?

If you find issues trying to uninstall the upgrade or revert back to Vista and find it impossible.

Or you find it impossible to reinstall Vista.

Pop in the Vista disk and run a repair.

This will get you back up and running with Vista.

However you may find Vista a little buggy,if you do then I am afraid it is reinstall Vista.

4. Jelly Bean

Local time:
    My System

Shake Windows off your Desktop:

To clear the desktop:

Left click and hold on the Title Bar of the window you only want to show on the desktop.

Shake the window a bit by quickly dragging it left and right.

When the desktop clears, drop.

To restore the desktop:

Left click and hold on the Title Bar of the same window.

Shake the window a bit by quickly dragging it left and right.

When the minimized windows return to the desktop, drop (release the left click) the window.

Windows 7 secrets:

To open command prompt:

Just hold down the Shift Key and right click on the desktop.

And then you can choose Open Command Window Here from the menu.

But then again just right click on a folder and choose Open command prompt window here.

Try this Secret:

When you right click on a file/icon you see the usal items in the list,Open/Send to and so on.

Hold down the Shift key while right-clicking on the icon, and then try the Send To menu.

Wow loads of things in the list of send to.

If you want any of those to show up normally without holding down the Shift key, you can create shortcuts in the Send To folder. Just type the following into the location bar:

shell:sendto

And then drag shortcuts to your preferred folders into this folder.

Uncover the jumplists:

One of the best new features of the new UI is the jumplists. Right click on a Taskbar icon and you’ll be presented with a series of shortcut options for that application – selecting a recently-played album in Windows Media Player, for example. You’ll also find jumplists sprouting from application listings on the Start menu.

Unpin the default apps:

Microsoft has cheekily pinned Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer to the Taskbar, ensuring they remain a constant presence on your desktop. If you want to get shot of them, right click on the app’s Taskbar icon and select Unpin This Program From Taskbar. If you want to replace them with your favourite software, open the application of your choice, right click on its Taskbar icon and select Pin This Program To Taskbar.

Silence User Account Controls:

To stop UAC interrupting your working day every two-and-a-half-minutes with another inane request, type UAC into the new Windows Start menu search bar, select the Change User Account Control Settings option and drag the slider right down to Never Notify. Just take a little extra care with your day-to-day computing, as you’ll almost certainly be running without security software.

Sort out the System Tray:

The System Tray now has an overspill area, allowing you to relegate attention-hungry applications to a hidden sin bin. Click on the little up arrow on the left-hand side of the System Tray and click Customize to pick and choose which System Tray icons you want to see, and how much you want them to bother you with alerts.

Boost the text size:

The huge screens and high resolutions of today’s flat panel monitors can make it difficult to read on-screen text, particularly if you use your PC as a Media Center on the main living room television. Windows 7 allows you to boost the size of text on screen to up to 150% of its normal size to make it more readable. Right click on the desktop, choose Screen Resolution and select the Make Text And Other Items Larger or Smaller.

Stretch out on extra displays:

It’s now far easier to extend the Windows desktop on to secondary displays. Simply press Windows +P and you’ll be presented with options to extend, duplicate or show your desktop only on the secondary display.

5. bf2gamer

bf2gamer New Member Gold Member

Local time:
    04:00
    My System

I don't know if you got this, I didn't see it, but
    Win + Tab
    Arranges your windows so that you can scroll through them. Pretty cool :D

Smokeycheech and timmy toad like this.
  6. corporategeek

corporategeek New Member

Local time:
    05:00
    My System

7. techygueind

techygueind New Member

Local time:
    My System

Graderman likes this.
  8. jay2

jay2 Games developer/shop owner Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Shakin' Windows

One handy little user interface improvement that Microsoft has added to the mix allows you to drag windows to the edges of your screen to anchor them there, or to the top to maximise something. However, there's another neat little trick in a similar vein that you can use.

If you grab a title bar of a window and shake it around with the mouse, you'll find that everything flies out of the way and leaves you with a pristine desktop and the window you were holding. Much more Zen, no?

Problem Steps Recorder

Once you've convinced your parents that they need to upgrade to Windows 7, and they've bought it and you popped round to install it for them, they'll invariably find something that doesn't work - something that you can't fix over the phone and have to actually be there to sort out.

Well, instead of trying to talk them through installing a remote desktop viewer like VNC, you can now just ask them to press the Windows key, tap in "PSR", hit enter, and then hit record before trying to do whatever it is they're trying to do. Once they're done, the recording is saved as a zipped MHTML file that they can email to you so you can see exactly where they're going wrong.

Resource Monitor

Seasoned Windows fans will know that when the system locks up, the first thing you want to check is the Task Manager. You can still do that, but there's now a better option instead, called the Resource Monitor. This lets you take a look in considerably more detail about exactly what's going on with your CPU, RAM, disk and network.

To access it, just hit the Windows key and type "resmon" before hitting enter. It'll bring up an overview of all the processes that are currently active on your computer, and exactly what they're doing. You can then do something about that irritating program that won't stop crashing.

So what do you do? Well, you can force quit something like you would in Task Manager, but you can also right-click a process and hit "Analyze Wait Chain" to see more info about why it isn't doing anything - it could be waiting for a response from another process, for example. With Resource Monitor you'll hopefully be able to track down the issue more quickly.

Desktop slideshows

So you've seen that most of the default themes that comes with Windows have auto-changing backgrounds, and you'd like to get in on that action. How do you do it? Well, it's actually pretty simple. All you have to do is right-click an empty part of the desktop and hit "personalize". From there, hit "desktop background" near the bottom and pick a folder full of pictures that you'd like to rotate through, and select how often you'd like to rotate.

How would you like a desktop wallpaper that automatically updates from an RSS feed? That functionality appeared in the beta, though it was buggy and seemed to have been removed from the final version. However - there's a way round the limitation.

Visit the feed you want to get pictures from in Internet Explorer, and then subscribe to it. On the right-hand-side you should have a "View feed properties..." option. Hit that and then enable the "Automatically download attached files" option. Close the window, and re-open it, then hit "View files" and use that folder as your rotating background folder as above. Voila!

Colour and ClearType Calibration

Lastly, if you view a lot of images, movies or play games a lot on your computer - and doesn't everyone? - then you might want to make sure that your monitor is calibrated to display colours correctly. You can do this very easily with a wizard included in Windows 7 called the Display Colour Calibration Wizard.

To access it, all you have to do is hit the Windows key, type DCCW and hit enter, and the wizard will appear and take you through all the steps necessary to make sure your display has its gamma, brightness and contrast set correctly. After that, you'll have the option to view the ClearType calibration wizard.

10. Bring back the "classic" Start menu

[​IMG]Windows 7's Start menu is a powerful thing, offering program and file launching as you type and allowing for smart pinning of whatever you frequently access. If you're really attached to the Windows 2000/XP-style Start system, though, CSMenu restores a "classic" look to Windows 7 by installing a companion Start menu on your taskbar. Want to eliminate that new-fangled Start menu and use only your classic model? Grab StartKiller and wipe away all signs of progress—er, change. We meant change. (Original post)

9. Logon changer customizes password screens

[​IMG]You can customize a lot of your system's look in Windows 7, but the login/password screen remains fairly opaque and unchangeable. Tweaks.com offers a Logon Changer for Windows 7 that simply takes a JPG file (256K or less, so be sure to re-size and compress) and applies it to your background. If you don't mind doing a little registry hacking, there's a manual work-around for logon changing, but the Logon Changer is worth the install/uninstall if you know what you want to keep as your logon screen. (Original post)

8. Create recovery discs for pre-installed Windows 7

[​IMG]If you moved up to Windows 7 by way of a new computer purchase, you may have found that getting a full Windows 7 disc, or even a system recovery disc, was an "option" that cost a good bit of extra cash. If you'd like to ensure you can save your system from common boot-up and system errors in the future, NeoSmart offers its own Windows 7 System Recovery Discs that can repair damaged files, restore System Restore points, and even pull in full backups for restoration. If you upgraded to 7 from a student discount package that only delivered a single .exe file, Download Squad explains how to make a DVD upgrade disc from student discount files. (Original post)

7. Pull up incoming Gmail from the taskbar

[​IMG]If Gmail is your primary inbox, Gmail Notifier Plus not only subtly informs of you of new mail by changing its taskbar icon, but provides a subject line preview of new messages when you hover over its icon. You also get shortcuts to compose a new message and pop open your inbox in your browser, and head to any of your messages individually. Neat stuff, especially if you'd rather have a more firm control over when your inbox can have your attention—just close down Gmail Notifier Plus when it's time to get cranking. (Original post)

6. WinFox makes Firefox work with Jump Lists

[​IMG]Support for Windows 7's helpful jump lists won't show up in Firefox until version 3.7. In the meantime, those who want to access their current tabs and most frequently visited sites can do so with WinFox, a helpful little add-on that you pin to your taskbar to access Firefox from. Copy Winfox to your Firefox program directory, install it, and pin the "Winfox" application to your taskbar. Now you can pin favorite pages to your jump list by dragging their tabs down, see the favicons of the sites you've got open, and get a read on how many tabs you're running in the Firefox icon. (Original post)

5. Hulu Desktop adds streaming TV to Windows Media Center

[​IMG]Windows 7's Media Center was impressive enough for Adam to bust out his Buster Poindexter headline, and the only thing you might say it's missing is access to streaming television. Since Media Center just added CBS, the one big hold-out is Hulu—which Hulu Desktop Integration brings in with a clever little app. Launch the Hulu app from Media Center, and Media Center shuts down, opens the full-screen Hulu Desktop app, and then switches back to Media Center when you're done in Hulu. That's a nice thing, because since it uses the official channel to get at Hulu, the chances of it being locked out by Hulu are slim. (Original post)
    4. Add stacks to your desktop

[​IMG]Windows 7's taskbar is getting a lot of notice, and some say it's more useful than Mac OS X's Dock—except it's missing the very neat "Stacks" feature. Missing, that is, until you grab StandaloneStack or 7stacks, which both do a great job of creating blow-up menus of folders and apps from single icons on your taskbar. Add a storage folder or custom collection of shortcuts to your taskbar, and you'll never have to hunt down that "Computer" link in the Start menu again just to get to the right file. (Original posts: StandaloneStack, 7Stacks)

3. Tweak hard-to-find settings

[​IMG]It's always a good idea to see what kind of settings you can change from your new OS' Control Panel, but Microsoft only lets you play with so many check boxes and sliders. Apps like Ultimate Windows Tweaker, along with XdN Tweaker, have been digging deep into the guts of Windows since Vista first arrived (and sometimes before XP showed up), and they let you seriously fine-tun your system. Want only certain Aero 3D effects on your desktop? Need to change Windows 7's window-snapping behavior? These apps have you covered. The hardest part is knowing when to say when on a settings-changing binge. (Original post)

2. Make Alt+Tab switching more intuitive

[​IMG]The familiar Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut gained a little visual overhaul in Windows 7, but it still offers just basic window switching. VistaSwitcher, a more powerful app and window switcher, improves on it in just the right ways. Besides an intriguingly different look, the app supports keyboard shortcuts that let you minimize or tile windows from your Alt+Tab screen, close down programs or file windows in bulk, and, with a Ctrl+Alt+Tab press, switch only between the open windows of the particular program you're using, like a browser or image editor. Despite the name, VistaSwitcher works perfectly well on Windows 7. (Original post)

1. Install all your necessary apps at once

[​IMG]The first few times you re-installed an operating system, it probably felt like an adventure, something fun, a test of your tech prowess. At this point, though, you might just want to skip the part where you spend an hour grabbing Firefox, Picasa, an anti-virus app, WinAmp and other must-have apps from the net. Ninite is your ticket out of redundant installations. Head to the web site, click off the apps you need from a huge range of good, free software, and download the customized installer app that results. Double-click, hit start, and do something constructive while Ninite installs everything you asked for, with very few, if any, questions or promp

9. Jelly Bean

Local time:
    My System

10. jay2

jay2 Games developer/shop owner Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

11. Falcon1

Falcon1 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    21:00
    My System

Windows 7 GodMode

Here is a great little tool for W7 and Vista 32 Bit users. Excerpt taken from ZDNET in which anyone can be a member and get e-mails daily...Falcon. Enjoy:mrgreen:

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder. To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    Users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.
    The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

A warning: This can cause a beta version of Windows x64 or a component to crash, do this at your own risk. [SecuPro]

12. iferhat

iferhat New Member

Local time:
    11:30
    My System

HOW TO CLEAR YOUR WINDOWS 7 UPDATE HISTORY CACHE AND DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE PERMANENTLY

This is for experts uses and I totally do not promote disabling Windows Update and clearing update history. This is for educational purposes and maintainable for Windows 7.

1. Click on "START" menu and choose "RUN"

2. Type in "MSCONFIG" and press "OK"

3. Now you will see a small "System Configuration" window.

4. Click on the "Services" tab and collate by Name and find "Windows Update" (Un-tick this box for Windows Update)

5. Choose "Apply" or "OK" either way restart your Windows 7 OS PC.

6. Click on "START" menu, choose "RUN" again.

7. Copy and Paste "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\" without (") in to Run and Choose "OK".

8. A folder will open up "Delete" everything in that folder. (This is where your "Windows Update History" is kept)

10. Finished, when you have done all 10 step you will have disabled all Windows Updates and cleared your history cache. So when you click on update you cant and if you check your update history you will have none.

All the best,

Ferhat Yildirim
    Sydney, Australia

13. iferhat

iferhat New Member

Local time:
    11:30
    My System

HOW TO DISABLE UAC EASY THROUGH USER ACCOUNT CONTROL SETTINGS

This is for experts uses and I totally do not promote disabling Windows USER ACCOUNT CONTROL (UAC) This is for educational purposes and maintainable for Windows 7.

1. Go to User Account Control Settings "simply open Start menu and type "UAC"

2. Type in "UAC and Click on the "Change User Account Control Settings".

3. Drop the tab all the way down to turn UAC off.

4. Finished, When you have done all 4 steps you will have disabled UAC and you wont get a pop-up window ever again to run as Admin again.

All the Best,

Ferhat Yildirim
    Sydney, Australia

14. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi vinal11,

Welcome back,

I happy to hear that the information in this thread was able to help you..:)

Regards,

Airman24.

15. Bugsy

Bugsy New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    My System

Here is just a Basic Guide on how to perform System File Scan within Windows 7;

Go to Start > All Program > Accessories > Right Click Command Prompt and Run As Administrator;

Type In sfc /scannow and hit enter then let it complete the scan.

Screenshot 1
    [​IMG]

Screenshot 2
    [​IMG]

Screenshot 3
    [​IMG]

The System File Checker will look for any system files/.dll file's that are corrupt and will attempt to fix these normally following a re start of your computer.

This can also be run in safemode too by selecting Safemode with command prompt privilage.

Hope you found this useful!

DragonMaster Jay likes this.