Windows 7 black screen when coming out of Hibernation...

1. ncs22

ncs22 Member Silver Member

Local time:
    09:46
    My System

Hi. I have a brand new laptop (HP Envy 17) with Windows 7 Home Premium. Sometimes, when I come out of Hibernation mode (especially a long-duration Hibernation), I get a black screen that does not go away without me putting the computer into Sleep mode first. The sequence of events goes like this:

1. The "HP" logo appears after I hit the power switch.
    2. The message "Resuming Windows" appears.
    3. A black screen appears briefly with a blinking cursor in the upper-left hand corner.
    4. The screen goes completely black (a "truer" black than the one from step 3).
    5. I can get rid of this black screen by shutting the lid of my laptop (which sends it into Sleep mode), and then lifting the lid again...in this case the screen appears which allows me to click my username to access the desktop.

NOTE: When coming out of Hibernation, there are times when the black screen from step 4 lasts only a few seconds...but the fact that sometimes it lasts permanently (without my intervention) bothers me.

Can someone please help me resolve this?

Thanks...
  2. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    My System

First step should be to update your video driver.

How To Find Drivers:
    - - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
    - - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads

I would also run a system file check to verify and repair system files. Let us know what it says at the end of its run.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker -
  3. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    My System

This thread has expired and is now Closed.
    If you have a similar issue, please open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

If you feel this is in error feel free to Pm me as to why.

Ken J