Which laptop is best for me (emits the least radiation)?

1. nuked&fried

nuked&fried New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    02:48
    My System

Hi,

I have a problem that seems to be pretty unusual among the general population of computer users - I'm sensitive to the electromagnetic radiation that a laptop emits. I actually get a physiological response from laptop radiation it seems - which includes several uncomfortable/troubling symptoms.

Since I'm not a computer engineer or electrical engineer - and my computer literacy is quite low - I've been having quite a time trying to figure out which laptop model/configuration would be the least of the evils for me. I have focused less on the wireless card - and more on things I can "control" a little more easily - like the processor and graphics card. I have even taken note of the thickness of the laptop body when looking at prospective laptops - since my experience with my current laptop (an old Dell Latitude D600) has been that the cooler this laptop is, the less severe my symptoms are. For ex., when I have propped this laptop up so that more air can circulate underneath it - I have noticed a reduction/relief of my symptoms. It seems to me that thickness is more conducive to better air circulation/coolness within the body of the laptop. Thinner is not really better for folks like me.

But I suspect that there is a "non-heat" component of radiation that is bothering me - that perhaps has something to do with the power/speed of the processor. I have not "tested" that many laptops/processors at all - so I don't know for sure if this is the issue, or if it is something(s) else about the laptop that is bothering me.

Anyway - I've been looking at three different versions of the same-brand laptop, trying to determine which would be the least of the evils. They are:

ASUS 15.6" laptop (Model: K50IJ-BNC5), which has

Intel® Pentium® processor T4500
    Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz system bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.3GHz processor speed

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

ASUS 15.6" laptop (Model: A52F-XA1), which has

Intel Pentium Dual Core P6100 processor (2.0GHz, 3MB L3 cache), with integrated Intel HD graphics

ASUS 15.6" laptop (Model: A52F-X3), which has

Intel Core i3-350M (2.26 GHz), with integrated Intel HD graphics

All of them have 4GB RAM. The build/bodystyle of the last two laptops are indentical. The build of the first laptop is very similar to the other two - but is designed to vent heat out of the back and keep the handrest/mousepad area cool (which perhaps makes me this model the best one for me, not sure).

Which of these laptops should I get? Supposedly the latest Core-is/Arrandale processors are advertised to run cooler than the previous generation processors (the Intel P6100 is a 32nm, Arrandale chip like the Core i3, but lacks some of the "power" features of the Core i3). But in real-world operation, I wonder if the greater power of the 32nm-style processors would lead to a greater electromagnetic field, and give me more symptoms? Perhaps the "simpler" Intel Pentium T4500 would be better for me?

Here are the "specs" of each processor:

Intel Pentium T4500:
    Intel® Pentium® Processor T4500 (1M Cache, 2.30 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)

Intel Pentium P6100:
    Intel® Pentium® Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SLBUR

Intel Core i3-350M:
    Intel® Core

I notice that the P6100 is designed to run at a 90-degree Celcius maximum temperature, while the other two processors have a 105-degree maxiumum operating temperature. Would this indicate that the 6100 would be better for me because it is cooler? Or is the reverse true - the 90-degree max operating temperature means that it would start dissipating heat sooner than the other processors - and I would "feel" the dissipating heat more and the fans would have to work harder/longer to keep the processor near it's maximum operating temperature?

Also - I've heard/read that there may be "power-saving" options that may involve "underclocking" and/or "undervolting" these processors - that may lead to some relief. Would all three of these processors have the same ability/flexibility to be underclocked? Can I use these power-saving options when the laptop is plugged into the wall?

Thanks for your help and patience as I try to figure this stuff out...
  2. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

Here is some useful guidance from someome familiar with those concerns.

Outside of compliance with FCC Title 47, Part 15, control of ELF EMR and RF EMR is not really a design specification in laptops.

Usage habits and user environment are under your control and can serve to minimize your exposure and to mitigate the effects of EMR.

You may consider using lead film wraps under the laptop or laptop cooling device. The wraps are commonly used to protect photographic film from x-ray exposure. Lead aprons are also available.

Contrary to popular belief, aluminum foil suits or hats do not provide protection from either ELF or RF EMR.
    georgeks likes this.
  3. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

And, get the ASUS 15.6" laptop (Model: A52F-X3).
  4. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

5. nuked&fried

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the tips and the link - I'm going to have to explore that site more in-depth if I can scrounge up the energy.

Sadly, I don't have as much control over my situation as I would like. It would be nice if I were the proprieter of the home where I live, and/or I had more space - so I could configure things to (drastically) decrease my exposure. I would love to get rid of this WiFi that is frying me - but the people who make the household decisions don't seem to be affected by it like I am, and (what's worse) - they don't believe the WiFi is doing me any harm (despite the alarming symptoms I keep trying to tell them about). They buy into the industry and government line about how "harmless" it's supposed to be - but my mind/body seems to be telling me something very different.

(Btw, if you or anyone could tell me why I seem to be so affected by this AT&T WiFi - even when I turn the power of the router down to the minimum level - while the Comcast WiFi that we used to have seemed to be pretty innocuous, I would be enlightened. What would be so different about the AT&T wireless signals? At least I would know a little about this evil device that's adding to my demise.)

I admit my usage habits could use some big-time improvement. I think the Internet is to me what cocaine is to coke addicts, almost. I have a full-blown addiction. So it's been a real struggle to try to reign in my nasty habit. The sheer amount of time I spend on the computer may have played a hand in triggering my sensitivity - but then again, back in the good 'ol (pre-WiFi) days, I spent practically as much time on my old desktop and didn't seem to be affected by it. And I know people who spend about as much time on the computer as I do - and they don't seem to have any sensitivity.

I don't use my laptop on my lap - I stopped doing that a long time ago. So I don't think the lead on the underside would help my situation much. Whatever is bothering me seems to be emanating from the top of the open laptop and possibly the screen. It seems that finding some way to get more air circulating underneath it could help.
  6. nuked&fried

Local time:
    My System

So you recommend the laptop with the most powerful processor. Could you shed some light on the reasons why you think this one would be best?
  7. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

It is only the most powerful sometimes. Most of the time, it is actually operating at a reduced frequency as a matter of design. Total EMR output, therefore, is the lowest of the three.
  8. nuked&fried

Local time:
    My System

Ahh - interesting. What you just said seems to match up with some customer reviews of the laptops. With the Core i3 laptop, there were some strong statements about how cool-running it is. There weren't quite the strong proclamations of coolness with the P6100 laptop that you might expect.

I guess the same is true of the Core i5 and Core i7? I mean, I'm sure they probably run hotter than the Core i3 - but would those chips also have a lower EMR output than the P6100 or the T4500?
  9. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    01:48
    My System

Antman - your assistance in this thread is *appreciated* :mrgreen:
  10. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

You are asking a watch builder "What time is it?"

It is necessary to look at the full range of processors in the Core i# group. Operating frequency of the CPU and Integrated GPU are not the only consideration and may actually be less important than the chips Thermal Design Power (TDP). In this regard, I find the ultra-low power i5 chips interesting.

The greater challenge is balancing the heat produced by operating frequencies and the heat produced by the absorption of EMR energy. You are likely aware that EMR is converted to heat within materials that absorb it (law of conservation). Again, this brings my interest back to the ultra-low power i5 chips.

Also, let's not lose the distinction between the flame and the coal. Are you aware that higher end laptops may include a chassis frame composed of magnesium alloy "magnalium", while lower cost machines are entirely plastic? As volatile as magnesium is, it also has a fairly high EMR conductivity.

Further, when considering individual laptops, keep in mind that more bells also means more EMR. The inclusion of a webcam or more USB ports means more internal wiring - and these circuits broadcast EMR.

btw - have you seen this cooling pad?

List of Intel Core i3 microprocessors
    List of Intel Core i5 microprocessors
    List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors

New dual-core mobile processors and desktop processors will arrive in February 2011
  11. nuked&fried

Local time:
    My System

Hi Antman - sorry for the delay. I suffer from various maladies that prevent me from responding to posts the way that I would want to. I appreciate your patience as I try to fight through the fog. Glad I found a watchmaker. :mrgreen:

Oh, I'm aware of the Thermal Design Power factor - that value is very much on my mind as I try to make these decisions. But all of the current-generation 15" notebooks have processors with the same TDP - 35...or at least the vast majority of the well-established brands do. So I was trying to focus on other characteristics that might distinguish these 35 Watt processors from each other. Also, someone told me that even though these processors' "max" TDP may be reported as the same - their "average" operating thermal output may be different. Unfortunately Intel doesn't give more information in this area.

As far as the ultra-low power i5 chip is concerned - I haven't really come across a 15" notebook with one of those installed. I may have - but from what I've seen, it seems that companies install this low-power chip when they want to pair it with a monster graphics chip....such as in gaming laptops. So whatever "gain" I would have with the low-voltage i5 may be lost by the beefed-up graphics.

And I'm afraid that you may overestimate my understanding of this emr shebang...I can't say that I have a good grasp of the emr-heat conversion concept. I think the only reason I have some familiarity with the processor's role in emr is because an "Antman"-like samaritan advised me of it (this person advised me to look for an ultra-low voltage chip - but those only seem to come in tiny netbooks, with those microscopic 10"-12" screens. My eyes are too bad to be looking at a screen that small.).

So are you saying that a more cheaply-made plastic laptop would be better than the more hoity-toity metal ones (such as the Macbook Pro)? Here I thought that the aluminum provided some shielding from certain frequencies of the emr (although it conducts the heat well).

I was in a store today looking at various laptops and "discovered" the "Power Managment" feature. It made an awesome impression - I was somewhat blown away by the wide flexibility of the configuration options. I love how, with many laptop models - the processor has "infinite" adjustability...all the way from 100% to near-zero, I guess. And it seems that I noticed significant relief of my symptoms when I made power adjustments to the processor, graphics card, and wireless LAN card. But the symptoms wouldn't disappear entirely. I didn't check to see if the webcam circuitry could be turned off. Perhaps that would make a further difference?

Do you know if the Macbooks have the same number/level of "power management" options? Would Macbooks give me the same control over the processor power, graphics card, wireless card, etc.?
  12. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

13. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

I mean exactly the opposite.
  14. johnwillyums

johnwillyums Member Bronze Member

Colne, Lancashire, UK-Decayed small cotton town on
    Local time:
    07:48
    My System

Seems to me that a black tourmaline pendant plus a large cactus would be the most economical way to go .
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can be a long ongoing process and very expensive by the hour.
    Also a lead apron sounds like it might carry it's own problems.
  15. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

JohnWillyums - thank you for your learned advice. With sincere enthusiasm, I look forward to your participation in this forum.

nuked&fried - John is a favorite friend of mine. John is well-read, possessing extensive and current knowledge.

I cannot really comment on the Apple. My wife made me eat an apple once and things haven't been the same since. ;)