VDS Error code: D@01010004

1. DoubleOZero

DoubleOZero New Member

Local time:
    02:26
    My System

Hello! I have a rather odd issue that's been going on for a couple of weeks that's really had me baffled, so I was hoping I could share it here as I found some good quality content on this site.

Due to recent spring storms, power went out to the house while my desktop was up and running. Desktop was surge protected, thankfully. However, once power came back on and I booted back up, I started getting BSOD's followed by looping boots. So, bad sign, that. It took me a little while just to get the system to load Windows. I finally reseated two of my four RAM sticks, then viola, everything booted up fine, no BSOD, no issues whatsoever. It was sluggish for a little while, but since then everything has been pretty normal. I've been gaming heavily and leaving it running for a day or two at a time with hardly any issues, and various system diagnostics tests (Norton Antivirus, Norton Utilities -- hard disk health checks, etc. -- MEMTEST, so on) have revealed no problems whatsoever.

However, I see some here-and-there brief odd issues. For example, a couple of days ago, Windows just hung on loading. Once it hung during post, then it hung at the login screen. Reboot, golden. Windows loaded swiftly and painlessly.

So all this time I've been watching my event logs, and I haven't yet seen anything very telling, until today, when I came upon this:

Event 1, VDS Basic Provider
    Unexpected failure. Error code: D@01010004

Now today I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever. I've just been monitoring the logs nonetheless to see if I can catch a problem before it has a chance to grow into something worse, given how odd the above described past couple of weeks have been. So, the error's there, but I'm not experiencing any actual issues (yet).

From what I've gathered googling about, this sounds like a hard drive issue. But no hard drive health tests I've yet run can turn up any problems -- everything continues to check out.

System is as follows:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (recently upgraded from Home to Ultimate)
    Hitachi 2TB HDD
    8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 5870
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor
    ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Of note, I do have a WD external 2TB drive attached, so I'm not sure if that could be having any issues, alternatively. It seems to be behaving just fine other than the fact I have it full to capacity for the moment with backups. I also had a 1TB WD drive attached recently, but it went bad for an unrelated reason and is currently in the RMA process.

Lastly, I have since learned my lesson and recently purchased a UPS. :mrgreen:
  2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    08:26
    My System

Hi there and welcome to PCHF

Thanks for that info, can you please click on the BSOD link, below in my signature and follow the process. Attach the logs back here and one of our BSOD experts will help you further.
  3. DoubleOZero

DoubleOZero New Member

Local time:
    02:26
    My System

Uploaded and attached here. Thank you!

Today a little more of the same -- Left the box shut down all day, so booted up cold this evening, hung on post. Restarted, loaded up just fine. Event log for today looks alright.

Attached Files:

4. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello and welcome DoubleOZero :)

Thank you for posting your logs,I have moved your thread to the Win 7/Vista BSOD section and one of our BSOD experts will be along as soon as possible.

Regards,

Airman24
  5. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello DoubleOZero,

My Sincere apologies that you have not had a response to your latest post,let me find a Bsod expert for you,I'm sure someone will be with you very shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Airman24....:)
    zigzag3143 likes this.
  6. madmonkey

madmonkey Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello DoubleOZero, sorry for the delay in this thread, seems to have slipped through our net.

Your definitely on the right path here, the logs show the stop errors occur when performing disk operations, half of the time it seems to occur when accessing the page file on the disk. This seems to be the result of disk data corruption, which would be consistent with a power failure. I don't believe it's a hardware problem with the disk itself, although I certainly wouldn't rule it out completely, as I have no way to explain why the system froze several times during startup.. which could potentially be caused by either. Physical disk problems often manifest themselves as bad clusters if it's a problem with a disk platter, or IO errors (for example) which appear in the event logs and/or in the dump files posted here. Bottom line.. no real evidence that this is a hardware problem.

Also, in your event log, the last portion of your system log is flooded with "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.", so this is further evidence of HDD related problems.

As you probably know, it is not always possible to resolve corrupted data, as it's not always obvious that the data is corrupt, and even when it is found to be corrupt, then what data do we put back in it's place? So ideally, the cleanest way to resolve corruption issues is to perform a clean installation. In circumstances where this may not be possible, can you follow the guide below (ignore any sections you may have already done), in the following order:

Disk Space
    Since you mentioned that the disk is already at capacity, you should already be aware that there needs to be considerable amount of free space available for the system to work with. If there is no free space on the system partition, then Windows will not be able to properly function.

CHKDSK
    chkdsk (check disk) can be run a number of ways, but from within Windows:
    - Go to My Computer or Computer on the desktop or start menu.
    - Right click on your disk here, and go to Properties
    - Click on the Tools tab, and under "Error checking", click Check Now.
    - Tick both check boxes here, followed by Start

When the PC restarts, it will begin scanning the disk for problems. This process may take a few hours or so depending on disk size, speed etc.

At this point, you can either keep an eye on the screen and note any errors which have been detected and/or fixed, which may be important in diagnosing the problem further. Or, the results of the scan will be logged as an event in the event log. To access the event log, once your back in Windows, right click on My Computer / Computer and go to Manage. In the Event Viewer in the left hand pane, click on Application which will come under Windows Logs in later versions of Windows. The log you'll be looking for will be a "winlogon" event. Double click on it to view the details.

Reset Page File
    Note: This section only applies if no problems have been found above.

The following instructions will resolve any page file problems:
    - Right click on My Computer / Computer on the desktop or start menu, and click on Properties
    - On the Advanced tab (or Advanced system settings), click Settings under Performance.
    - In the Advanced tab, click Change.
    Note: You may have to untick the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives if this option is available.

- For the page file on the current drive, select No paging file and then click Set. -you'll receive a warning here, please continue.
    - Now click System managed size and click Set again.
    - Finally, click [OK] a few times and restart the PC.
  7. madmonkey

madmonkey Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello DoubleOZero, has this helped at all? if so, an update would be great, we can then mark this thread as answered/solved.

-----
    [​IMG] Thread marked [Pending]