Turn off Power Saving Mode?

1. Jake_Ashworth

Jake_Ashworth New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    15:23
    My System

My monitor keeps going into "powersave mode."
    I have a dell studio 8100 cpu with a dell ST2210 monitor and every time I try to play a game, after about 5-10 minutes everything shuts down, I get a message telling me that the monitor is entering "power saving mode" and the only way to disable it is to manually shut down the the computer and reboot. This is extremely frustrating and if anyone could offer any assistance or even just tell me how to disable this "power saving mode" I would greatly appreciate it!
  2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Elite Member

Local time:
    10:23
    My System

Hello Jake_Ashworth,and welcome to the PCHF

First try this link.......Documentation

I am going to open your thread for more input.........
  3. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    09:23
    My System

Hello & Welcome, Jake :)

The link provided by Vger has *exactly* the information I was going to provide you :) Have you had a chance to review it yet?
  4. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

I have, and I don't know if it matters, but I have Windows 7, not Vista, and its a desktop, not a laptop. I have changed every possible setting I can think would affect this but it hasn't changed anything. Games just completely shut down after like 10 minutes and the speakers make a loud buzzing noise. I find myself rebooting my computer 15 times in a hour of gaming.
  5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    My System

So you have gone into Control Panel and altered the Power Settings to be "Always On"?
  6. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

yes, I have. I have changed every setting I can possibly find relating to power to make it maximum everything. Hasn't solved the problem. But it isn't always the same amount of time before it goes into "power save mode." sometimes it will be two minutes after starting a game and sometimes it will be 30 to 45 minutes. But it always happens.
  7. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

I don't think this is being caused by your power settings, I think your video card is overheating enough that it's losing video and crashing your computer.

If you could, download and install speedfan from it's link in my signature. Once installed run it and click on configuration. In the temp tab click on each temp it list and then check the log checkbox that will appear at the bottom. Do the same for each of the voltages under the voltage tab. Then go to the log tab and check the enabled checkbox. When you have all of that done try running your game until it does the same thing again and then upload the log here. The log will be in C:\Program files\Speedfan and will be named something like this - SFLog20100801.csv.
  8. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

okay i downloaded that program and ran it until it crashed, and I have the log, but this website is telling me that the file is invalid and won't let me upload it.
  9. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Oh, sorry, I forgot about that. Just change the file extension to .txt instead of .csv.
  10. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

sorry, (maybe "some experience" was a little generous), but how exactly do I change the file extension? like, where? It won't let me just type it in when i select it in the upload box.
  11. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

That's easy. Just right click on the file on your computer and then click rename. Rename it Speedfan.txt. Once you rename it on your computer then it will let you upload it. If you are running windows 7 or vista it may keep the .csv file extension when you first try to rename it, if that's the case just highlight the .csv and then hit the backspace button. If it gives you a warning about renaming the file extension causing the file to become unusable click yes anyway.
  12. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

I can rename the file, and like you said it keeps the .csv, but even when i highlight that part, it won't let me delete it. I'm sorry this is so much trouble lol. Is this just to prove that it is the heating of the graphics card that is the problem? Because I'm pretty sure you're right since the game crashes much less often when I'm playing at night and it's cooler. Sometimes i can play for hours at night without it crashing. So assuming that is the problem, is there anything I could realistically do to fix it?
  13. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Yes, it will show your temps so that I can see if it's overheating or not.

There are a couple of other things to try. One is do you know how to zip a file? If you do then just zip the file and upload it. the other is to upload it to a file host. The other would be to upload it to Megaupload. Just follow this link and then click Browse to browse to the file, then in the send box just put in something like speedfan file and click send. When it gets done uploading the file it will give you a link to the file, post that link here in a post. - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
  14. Jake_Ashworth

Local time:
    My System

okay! awesome, I think it attached properly... I tried that megaupload and it kept telling me an error occurred, but I think I zipped it and attached it.

Attached Files:

15. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Awesome, that worked. I hate to ask you this, but can you run it one more time? This log is only 3 seconds long. There is one temp on it that is extremely high, but I need to make sure that it's not a phantom temp, which speedfan is prone to give on some systems, so I need one that is at least a couple of minutes long if possible. When you run it you need to leave speedfan running after you start the log until the system shuts down on it's own.