The Witcher, complicated SLi FPS issue

Solved
  1. dannyland

dannyland New Member Gold Member

Local time:
    02:52
    My System

Since getting the new WHQL 260.99 driver, I've had to basically revamp and retweak all of these damn profiles. This thread is for The Witcher which originally was fixed with the lights shining through the walls and such, except I had to redo it because of the new driver. nHancer has been effectively rendered useless with this new driver. So, I will be on a posting spree as I will be on a quest to fix most of these issues with certain games since these problems are very new and have no sound solutions at the moment.

Things to note:
    1. nHancer 2.5.9 obviously doesn't work for the games I am having problems with.
    2. That program Nvidia inspector is also completely useless since the goober making it decided to toss out the compatibility tab.
    3. I've just had to download nvidia's SLi profile manager, which is more effective than nHancer and doesn't make me want to blow my brains out like inspector does.

So, I recently bought The Witcher on steam. I had pirated it before but, I've recently decided that a steam collection is much more satisfying. During that pirated session, I could run the game with out any drops, stutters, lights shinning through walls after some tweaking. But now that the drivers have changed nvidia has undone all my hard work.
    Now the steam version of the game (its not a Steam issue, already tested without overlay so don't waste a post by suggesting it) has some drops, but its extremely erratic. I'm using quad SLi 2x 295 GTX's and it worked before. 60 frames flat, no stuttering or drops. To get the lights to go away, I have swapped the default SLi profile with a copy of Crysis's SLi default profile and that got rid of the lights. But I'm wondering how I get my seemless stutter free 60 frame experience back. #!#

What I have tried myself:
    1. OCed the GPU to see if the frame rates increased at all in the scenes (opening fight) increased at all. No Luck same frame rate.
    2. Disabled steam overlay. No luck steam is not the issue.
    3. Disabled all non essential windows services. No Luck
    4. Using Crysis SLi defaults which removed the light bleeding but didn't fix the frame rate. NOTE: THIS IS A FIX FOR PEOPLE USING THE NEW 260.99 DRIVER. (I will post it upon request).
    5. Verified integrity of files, nothing missing.

This could be SLi micro-stuttering but I highly doubt it since I had no problems before.

Specs:
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66 OCed to 3.6Ghz
    2x 295 GTX Quad SLi
    6GB of DDR3 triple channel RAM @ 1600Mhz
  2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    05:52
    My System

Hello dannyland,it seems we have another thread from another member with some issue with Witcher also.. I am going to open your thread for more input..
  3. dannyland

Local time:
    My System

Ya, I saw his but it is unrelated.
  4. pupuplader

pupuplader Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    03:52
    My System

Hey dannyland,

Just a reminder of the forum rules:

No discussion about illegal, pirated or stolen software/movies/games/music
    No discussion about Torrents or private tracker sites or forums

I would also say not just for having the games on steam but the fact that buying the game supports the developer to keep making what you love.

Anyway...

Try running the launcher directly from the application folder. I am not very familiar with sli profiles, I have only worked with crossfire setups so far...

I have started looking into it and will let you know what I find out.

Regards,
    Devin
  5. dannyland

Local time:
    My System

Solved? Weird, today it has decided to cooperate. I'm still not sure what the issue was. I changed a ton of stuff early today and yesterday. I'm running on Quad SLi and only getting slight stuttering on the animations, but thats just the aurora engine. No bleeding lights. One of the things I did was change my Global settings in the nvidia control panel to Single Display Performance Mode from Multi. I only have 1 monitor, so its odd that was the default. I'm not sure how this would have effected performance. The Crysis SLi profile worked, and I'm pretty sure I did a reboot right after tweaking these settings, so. The light bleeding was fixed immediately, I don't know if the reboot is required to get the tweaks to work appropriately. I removed nHancers Witcher profile and just made one in the nvidia control panel as well. I've also set lots of non-gaming programs to single GPU mode as well as NBA 2K11 which mixed a ton of performance issues there. The FPS still seems unstable thought, although it doesn't really dip below 55 and seems steady with stuttering here and there. I'm going to wait until both AMD and Nvidia decide to fix microstuttering before I upgrade my SLi setup again.
    However I should note, that I did not launch from steam today, I launched straight from the launcher like you suggested. I don't know if that completed some sort of installation or properly registered the SLi profile with the application.
    Anyways,
    Cheers
  6. pupuplader

Local time:
    My System

7. dannyland

Local time:
    My System

Thanks, that helped a bit, but apparently this isn't micro stuttering, something different that has to do with SLI and Crossfire. But thanks. Fans @ 100% sound like a flipping jet engine #!#
  8. pupuplader

Local time:
    My System

I have aftermarket cooling on mine... nice and quite. I always hated the noise of the stock fans.

I will keep my eyes open if I find something else that might help.

Regards,
    Devin
  9. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    05:52
    My System

This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.