The edges of my screen are cut off.

Solved
  1. Cheeeese

Cheeeese New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    14:27
    My System

So I recently built myself a computer and decided to use a Hannspree TV for the monitor. Everything was fine when I was connected using a DVI-VGA cable, but I was only able to get 1680x1050 as my max resolution so I used a DVI-HDMI cable and was able to go to 1920x1200 resolution which is the TV's native resolution, but when I do this the edges of the screen are cut off.

Unfortunately I do not have the box of the TV anymore so I don't know what the box said about the make, but I believe it is HT09, even though the sticker on the back says T280H and that is also what my computer recognizes it as, whether I use VGA or HDMI. I believe it is HT09 because googling T280H yields nothing but people who have the problem of their HT09 TV's doing the same thing. I am using a BFG GeForce GTX 260 graphics card, run Windows Home Premium 64 bit, my motherboard is an Intel DH55HC, and processor is an Intel i3-540.

I read another thread about someone having the same problem with this TV who also used the same OS and graphics card, but it did not help me at all. Oh and all my drivers are up to date as far as I know.
  2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    19:27
    My System

Hello Cheeeeseand welcome to PC Help Forum *wel

We have a great team of techs here so I am sure we will be able to provide you with some useful suggestions ;)

I have opened your thread to catch a techs eye...someone will be with you shortly

Regards,

Smokeycheech :D
  3. toubib32

toubib32 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    20:27
    My System

Hello Cheeeese :)

1. Are you sure is compatible to run under Windows 7. If not sure run:Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
    2. Set the resolution marked recommended in screen properties. For 28 inch widescreen LCD monitor the recommended resolution is 1920 x 1200@60Hz or 1920 x 1200@50Hz
    3. Some of the video cards have an option to select FULL screen option and need to enable to get FULL screen using the image settings in the On Screen Display (OSD) Menu. So check the settings of your video card
  4. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    13:27
    My System

That's actually normal on TV's. What you need to do is open nvidia control panel and then under display go to adjust desktop size and position. Select your TV and then click on Resize desktop. It will then put sliders on your TV screen, adjust the sliders until the desktop fits your screen.
    Cheeeese likes this.
  5. matt1122

matt1122 New Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Welcome to PCHF, Cheese!

I believe you'll find Xeno's solution most helpful.

If you don't see nvidia control panel on the menu when you right-click on the desktop, you may want to download the latest nvidia drivers for your video card at nvidia.com!
  6. Cheeeese

Local time:
    My System

It didn't let me resize the desktop, it said that my HDTV signal format wouldn't allow me to, so I went to the screen resolution tab and simply switched it from HDMI - HDTV sound enabled to HDMI - HDTV sound disabled and it worked like a charm, I can see everything again! *ye%

Thank you very much for the help Xeno!
  7. Cheeeese

Local time:
    My System

Just found that this isn't a permanent fix, anytime my computer goes to sleep or I restart it the problem reappears, which is not a big deal because I can quickly fix it again doing the same thing I posted above. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a more permanent fix, again though, not a big deal.
  8. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

That's odd that disabling the sound would fix it like that. There is another way to do it, but it may take a bit of work.

In Nvidia control panel go to change resolution and then click on the customize button. In the box that pops up check the "Enable resolutions not exposed by the disply" checkbox and look under the HD section for a resolution that is slightly less than the 1920x1200 and has the same refresh rate that your TV uses. If there is then check it click OK, and try it out and see if it works.

If you don't see a custom resolution or find one that works, this is where the work comes in. Click the customize button again and then click on the create custom resolution button. In the custom resolution box adjust your horizontal and vertical down. The resolution of your screen is basically 16:10 so you want to keep that. That means for every 16 pixels you go down on the horizontal you want to go down 10 on the vertical. The first resolution I would try on yours would be 1840x1150 and see how that works. After you change the horizontal and vertical resolution, make sure the refresh rate is correct for your TV, the color depth should be 32 bit and then the scan type should be the type your TV's native resolution uses. a TV that's 1080i uses interlaced and a TV that is 720p uses progressive, as an example, it just depends on what your TV is listed as. Once you have all that set, click the Test button and it will check to see if that resolution is usable.
  9. Cheeeese

Local time:
    My System

Hmm well like I said in my first post I no longer have the box/manual and my googling hasn't gotten me much, so I am not entirely sure on the screen type (progressive or interlaced), and not wanting to mess anything up, I will just leave it how it is. Quickly changing one setting everytime I boot up is solved enough for me.

Thanks a lot for the help.
  10. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

You're welcome. That's not a big deal if you don't know which it is, when you hit the test button it will tell you if it will work or not. If it doesn't work, just try changing it to the other one. If you're OK with changing that setting when you reboot that's cool with me though.

I'll go ahead and mark this as solved, but if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hope to see you around the forum.

Xeno1
  11. Arctos

Arctos Banned

Local time:
    04:27
    My System

I have found that most LCD televisions have a default native screen resolution of 1360 x 768 when used as a computer monitor.

The 32" Samsung LCD I'm using as secondary monitor runs on this resolution.

It also states in the manuakl not to exceed this size as damage to the television can happen...