Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogman3

Frogman3 Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    07:32
    My System

So I noticed a nice new process running todya - syswow64. It's in my windows folder and I can't seem to delete it ( dang win 7 permissions won't let me). I try t delete it and it informs me that I need permisison from trusted installer (which happens to be a new "user" on the security tab. I right click teh fodler, go to security and attempt to give myself permission for "full control" but everything is grayed out. I'm fairly new to win 7 and not quite sure how to get around this.

I've tried scanning with avast and it finds nothing. I downloaded malware bytes and again, it finds nothing. I'm no expert on how to get aroudn this stupid permisisons stuff windows 7 put in, so any advice would be great.

You guys helped me a ton in the past!

Attached Files:

2. Frogman3

Local time:
    My System

Oh here's the scans

Attached Files:

3. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    02:32
    My System

Hello Frogman3

Thanks for those logs and i have moved your thread here.Our security staff will be with you ASAP..
  4. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    16:32
    My System

I can asure you it is not malware.Its a file that you cannot delete.It is needed.WoW64 stands for "Windows on 64-bit Windows", and it contains all the 32-bit binary files required for compatibility, which run on top of the 64 bit Windows.WOW64 knows that the Setup wizard is a 32-bit application running within an emulator. It also knows that 64- and 32-bit code cannot be mixed. As such, the WOW64 emulator aliases an alias to the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder. This means that any time a 32-bit application needs to read or write anything to or from the \Windows\System32 folder, the WOW64 emulator transparently redirects the request to the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
  5. Frogman3

Local time:
    My System

Thank you very much for you assistance. I had just assumed it was a virus, given that I had never seen the process run before, and after a quick google search, all signs seemed to confirm my fears. In hindsight, I suppose it could've been related to the fact that many viruses have been embedding themselves in that folder. I also apologize for my poor spelling in the original post. I had written it under much sleep deprivation.

Again, thank you for your clarifcation! :mrgreen:
  6. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    16:32
    My System

Your welcome.Glad to have assisted.Your logs are clean and showed no signs of malware.

EDIT:This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.