Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kefler

kefler New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    00:34
    My System

Hi everyone. This week I noticed that I am no longer able to watch any videos on Spike.com. I also went to MTV.com and VH1.com, and I found that I can no longer watch any videos from those sites, either. All I get is a blank black screen where the video should play, and nothing else happens; BTW, I tried watching the videos on browsers IE8 & FF. Yet I can watch videos from CBS.com, NBC.com, youtube.com, historychannel.com, A&E.com. I have the latest version of Flash Player installed on IE & FF. I was able to watch the “Coal” episode from Spike.com 1-½ weeks ago with no problem. This is the URL for the episode of “Coal” I'm trying to watch on Spike.com: http://www.spike.com/video-clips/5ische/coal-coal-episode-2-preview-act-1-of-no-easy-way-out

My computer & router have been rebooted since I noticed the problem with watching videos. Yesterday, McAfee detected and quarantined Exploit-CVE2010-0840, and no other issues were detected. My Java software from Sun Systems was already up-to-date, but I went ahead and uninstalled then re-installed it anyway (thought I‘d mention the exploit just in case). I cleared cookies and temp files (I do that on a regular basis). I uninstalled Flash Player and then reinstalled the latest version 10.2.159.1, but it didn’t solve the problem. I just ran a scan with Malwarebytes, and no malware was found.

I'm on a Windows 7 PC. I have the latest version of Flash Player 10.2.159.1. It’s strange that I can watch videos on some sites, but not on other sites.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Elite PCHF Werewolf Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    05:34
    My System

Hello Kefler

Welcome to PC Help Forum

It seems that exploit specifically attacks Java so it might be wise to go through our malware procedure.

Please click this link called Prework and follow the instructions, please read the instructions very carefully, once you have acknowledged this in this thread I shall move it to the Security forum and a member of the Security Team will assist you as soon as possible.

Polite note to other PCHF members:

Please do not post any further advice pertaining to this issue, any posts that are made will be removed.

Thank you.

3. kefler

Local time:
    My System

I've completed the prework and attached the files. This morning, I ran another full scan with malwarebytes and nothing was found. I also ran a full scan with McAfee, and nothing was found. I've left Exploit-CVE2010-0840 in quarantine in McAfee; this trojan was detected on April 12. I don't notice any symptoms other than not being able to watch videos on spike.com, mtv.com, and vh1.com. It's a possibility that I may have trouble viewing videos on other sites as well. I have no problems whatsoever watching videos on youtube, cbs.com, abc.com historychannel.com, a&e.com, hgtv.com, and hulu.com (unless the hulu.com video is located on one of the problem sites like spike.com, etc.). The only other thing I noticed within the past week is that when I go to the time.gov website and click on my time zone, it takes much longer than usual to display the current time...this site uses a java platform.

Thank you for helping me. I'll try to come back here later tonight.

PS, I'm curious about something that maybe someone can provide an answer to. When I updated to the latest version of Flash Player in IE and FF early this morning, I checked the certificate for Adobe Systems Inc. The certificate for flash that I installed in FF is valid until 12-16-2012, yet the certificate for flash that I installed in IE was valid until March 17, so it's now expired. Both downloads originated from adobe.com and both are for version 10.2.159.1. I can't understand why one certificate is valid but the other is not when the downloads came from the same site. Nevertheless, I can't view videos from the sites I mentioned in IE or FF or even Chrome.

Attached Files:

4. Wolfeymole

Local time:
    My System

Thanks Kefler

Please be patient while a member of the Security Team assists you.

Thank you.

5. kefler

Local time:
    My System

I found a way to be able to watch videos from the sites I mentioned. I opened the Flash Player: Settings Manager, and at Website Settings Storage Panel, I put a check mark in the box for Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer. This is the only thing that worked so I could watch videos on those sites. I hate to have third party flash content stored on my computer, though. I don't know any other way around this unless someone here knows of a different solution.

And then there's still the other issue with the trojan/possible malware.

6. Wolfeymole

Local time:
    My System

There is indeed Kefler and I must sincerely apologise that you have not been attended to yet after 13 hours from your original post.

7. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    14:34
    My System

Hi.Welcome to the forum

Please run all these programs..

Download the TDSSKiller.exe and extract to your Desktop.

Execute TDSSKiller.exe by doubleclicking on it. You may be prompted to restart your machine. Type Y at the prompt.
    Once complete, a log will be produced at root. It will be named
    UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.
    for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_27.1.2010_15.31.43_log.txt.

Attach that log here please.

====================================================

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these places:
    Majorgeeks or Besttechie

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    * Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
    * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.Do so.
    * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    * Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

===============================================

Download Combofix from Bleepingcomputer or Geekstogo and place it on your Desktop
    * Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.Combofix may be slow to start and appear to be doing nothing before it starts scanning.Just leave it,it will start.
    You can get help on disabling your protection programs here : How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
    Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Caution.....
    Never use this program to remove files.Only use it with help from an experienced user.Wrongful use can damage your computer.This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use. ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a qualified helper

8. kefler

Local time:
    My System

Hi Pancake,

For TDSSKiller.exe, I wasn't prompted to restart my computer. The system scan results are: "Infection: not found." I attached the log.

I already have Malwarebytes installed on my computer. I made sure it is up-to-date and then scanned. The result: "no malicious items were detected." I attached that log for you.

I have not downloaded combofix (I didn't want to install it unless you told me that it's necessary now).

From all the info I've provided so far with the scans and logs, would you say that my sytem is clean? I still have "Exploit-CVE2010-0840" in quarantine. Is it necessary at this point to download combofix?

Thank you for helping.

Attached Files:

9. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

If "Exploit-CVE2010-0840" is in quarantine then its not a problem.You can delete it from there.But I would like to see a log from Combofix just to see all is well.

10. kefler

Local time:
    My System

To remove the OTL, aswMBR, and TDSSKiller programs from my computer, all I need to do is delete the files on my Desktop where they are located? So there's no *uninistall* involved?

In Extras.txt --- Shell Spawning --- there are a number of "Reg Error: Key error" & "File not found" entries. This isn't of great concern, right?

I decided not to download combofix (I'm a little nervous about this program). I don't notice anything strange with the computer, and I fixed the video problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

11. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

OK.Hope it all goes well.

12. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Kefler.

There is uninstall involved. Provided you use ComboFix it will actually uninstall everything :)

No, nothing to worry about. They're just orphaned entries that are essentially useless. The only reason we don't remove them is they're no threat. The risk of putting your machine in an unstable state when removing them is pretty high.

I would strongly suggest you follow up with ComboFix. The warnings are indeed there for a reason, and the tool has the ability to delete things that are legitimate. It has also gone nuts in the past and removed all the folders on a machine but, the developer is quick about fixing the bugs.

We are all trained in its use so in the even that something happens, however unlikely, our Security Team can get you out of a bad situation.

13. kefler

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush. Before you responded, I had removed the OTL and aswMBR programs by sending them to the recycle bin. Was it wrong to do this? I didn't find those programs in my "uninstall a program" list in the Control Panel. I kept TDSSKiller on my desktop.

What do you mean by "The warnings are indeed there for a reason"? What warnings?

Still not sure about going ahead with the combofix download. I'll need to think about it more.

Thanks for answering my questions...I'll be back in about 12 hours or so. :)

14. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi,

Basically the Clean Up option in OTL will do what you did, with the added benefit of cleaning up other progams, directories, etc. You're good :)

The screens you go through when first running ComboFix that warn you it is a powerful tool, etc.

15. kefler

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for explaining things to me, Crush.

At this time, I'm not going to download combofix. My computer is running well right now, so I think everything is okay.

Thanks for your help.