Sound not working on dell laptop

1. sbpkwlg

sbpkwlg New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    04:51
    My System

[FONT=&quot]I have a dell inspiron 6400 and this weekend the sound stopped working. I think the problem is going to be that my sound card is messed up, but I wanted to see if you guys could help me any. It started this weekend after my screen came lose and tilted back some when I picked it up and the computer completely shut off. The screw was a little lose and it was enough to make it fall back when the laptop was plugged in and I assume that's why it shut off because I tightened the screw and it hasn't shut off again but the sound stopped working.

There is no sound from the speakers or from headphones. I have checked every setting I know and it is not muted any place that I could find. I have uninstalled the drivers and restated to let windows reinstall the drivers and I have uninstalled the audio device from the device manager and let windows find that again and both did not work. When I go to control panel/sound while I have music playing there is a bar beside the device that is going up and down like it thinks it is playing something, but I still can't hear anything. I also have used Replay Music in the past so I tried that and it does not detect that anything is playing like it use to. I have run a virus scan with AVG and also ran Malware and found nothing. Any suggestions?[/FONT]
  2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    05:51
    My System

Hello sbpkwlg,and welcome to the PCHF...

Something may have come loose/ bent when it fell back....

I am going to open your thread for more input...Also i am going to move to our laptop support forum....
  3. sbpkwlg

Local time:
    My System

Thanks. This afternoon I did get into the computer and it looked like everything that connects to the speakers were still in and a friend and I couldn't find anything that looked like it was loose, but I am by far not an expert.
  4. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    10:51
    My System

First of all click Start > Run and type in devmgmt.msc and click OK
    Are there any items with a yellow exclamation mark next to them? (!)

Then assuming that is fine, click Start > Run > type in sndvol32 and click OK

Check that nothing is muted

Then click Start > Control Panel > Sound & Audio Devices > Audio Tab > Default Playback Device

And make sure that the correct device is selected for playback. After you make a selection click Apply > OK

Then try opening an audio file and see if you can hear sound. Then exit the application (if you can't hear sound), select another playback device then open the audio application again.

If none of that works then most likely it is a hardware issue and something has been damaged.
  5. monkeymagic

monkeymagic guinness gives you strength Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi spbkwlg,
    is you laptop still in warrenty, dell may fix your sound card issue if it does not show damage by yourself.
    Run the dell diagnostics shown in this link
    dell diags . you will be asked if you hear a beep code from the speakers. you will press (N) for no. If you contact dell tech support this is the first thing they will ask you to do. They may ask you to try it in safe mode.

here is a copy of the owners manual for you laptop
    inspiron 6400 manual

MM
  6. sbpkwlg

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the sndvol and nothing was muted and neither of the playback devices listed worked though they could both tell when I started the music. Unfortunately, my laptop is not under warranty.
  7. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Try using the 3.5mm jack (stereo headphone) cable. Connect one end to the green port on the laptop and the other end to the connector next to the VGA port on the back of the TV.

Then in Sound & Audio Devices > Audio Tab set the Default Playback device to Realtek HD Audio Output. Assuming you have a Realtek sound card.

Then try playing audio. Check that the sound is turned up in the audio application. eg the volume slider.

If that still isn't working and there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager then you can try a complete uninstall and manual reinstall of the drivers. Sometimes an automatic update of drivers will install drivers that aren't 100% compatible.

Especially Dell PC's might only be compatible with the drivers from the Dell website.

To uninstall:

If you are on Vista or Windows 7 then you will need to disable automatic driver updates. Follow this guide:

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...ows-vista-from-downloading-automatic-updates/

Make a note of the manufacturer or vendor of your soundcard (eg Realtek)
    Restart the laptop
    Press F8 repeatedly
    Select Safe Mode
    Login
    Click Start > Run > type in system32 > click OK
    Right click the gray column (Name, Size, etc)
    Choose More...
    Tick the box for Company and click OK
    Click the Company column that appeared
    Delete all files with the company listed as your card manufacturer eg all Realtek Semiconductor Corp. files if your manufacturer is Realtek
    Restart the PC
    Download and install the drivers from the Dell website
  8. sbpkwlg

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and deleted all the sigmatel files I could, and then downloaded them from Dell's website, but still no sound.
  9. vger

Local time:
    My System

Well as it seems this sound problem is internal hardware,unless you want to get it fixed at a shop,then you could try this.......DealExtreme: $2.92 USB Sound Adapter

And it's only $2.92 not bad...
  10. vger

Local time:
    My System

Hello sbpkwlg,do you still require assistance?
  11. vger

Local time:
    My System

This thread that has been marked as Pending for two weeks or more and has not been responded to, has now expired and therefore been closed.
    If you were unable to post due to reasons beyond your control then Private Message me, (Vger) as I closed the thread and I will re-open it for you.