1. teymur

teymur New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    20:03
    My System

Hi Everybody:)
    I`m new here, hope someone can help me.
    I have a problem with my vaio laptop (vgn-fz38m):
    screen is not working but all other lights and other staff are working.
    when i turning on laptop there is a double diit sound and black screen(is not turning on) after while i here windows`s welcome sound...
    Is that problem related with screen or video card or something else??? and if you know about prices of gone hardware can you give some information?
  2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    17:03
    My System

Hello Teymur and welcome to PC Help Forum *wel

We have a great team of techs here so I am sure we will be able to provide you with some useful suggestions ;)

I have opened your thread to catch a techs eye...someone will be with you shortly

Regards,

Smokeycheech :D
  3. OPEN

OPEN New Member PCHF $Donator Silver Member

Local time:
    My System

Ensure your brightness level is on maximum.

Hit Key -- Fn + the appropriate other one
  4. madmonkey

madmonkey Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello teymur, welcome to PCHF.

Are you able to connect an external monitor to the laptop to see if it's the video card or the monitor?

If your hearing any sound like that at the back of the monitor, it would indicate that the problem is most likely the laptop screen. Whan you hear the Windows welcome sound, if you look closely at the screen, can you see a faint image of your desktop or welcome screen?

If it's a hardware failure, then pretty much any replacement like that when it comes to laptops can be fairly expensive. The onboard graphics card is usually an integrated component of the motherboard, which means that you have to replace the entire board. Display and backlights are usually cheaper but still quite expensive too (around £80 / 100 qəpik I believe for the Vaio), and then there's the repair cost on top of that. I wouldn't recommend trying to fix this one yourself unless your very technically minded.
  5. teymur

Local time:
    My System

Thanks everybody for giving suggestions and helping:)
    I connected my laptop to external monitor and no picture come..
    I also looked closely to laptops monitor couldn`t see anything
    it seems that problem related with video card so the motherboard have to be changed, isn`t it?
  6. madmonkey

Local time:
    My System

Looks like it.. just one more thing, since I didn't mention it above. Your listed as experienced, but I thought I would check just to be sure. When you connected the external monitor up, did you use the switch monitor function on the keyboard, normally FN + F7 I believe the the Vaio?
  7. teymur

Local time:
    My System

yes i did it, also checked windows + P key no action:(
  8. madmonkey

Local time:
    My System

onboard video chipset it seems.. not sure if it would be worth the cost of repair if it's out of warranty, and there's also the sound at the back of the monitor to think about. Potentially more than one problem even though you would have to be pretty unlucky unless the laptop took a knock.

It is the more expensive range of laptops, but in terms of spec, you can buy an Acer for half the price you originally paid for the Sony, plus a few extra's such as Windows 7... just some things to think about.
  9. teymur

Local time:
    My System

yes for repairing of laptop needed pretty much amount and I have already bought a new one.it is HP yes as you say it is for half price of vaio and it has newer prosessor.
    Great thanks for suggestions...I really like this forum :)
    now i have another small problem, the language of windows is italiano(as it bought from italy) want to change it to english but it seems that is off-topic here :)
  10. madmonkey

Local time:
    My System

Awesome.

You should be able to change it by going to Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Region and Language (assuming your running Windows 7 - slightly different between Windows versions). Once your in your Region and Language settings, there's 4 tabs, three in which you need to change it from Italian. Recommend also changing your time zone as well (if you haven't already) by click on Date and Time > Change time zone whilst your there.

If you do have any problems.. you shouldn't do.. but it will probably be a question left for a new thread if this is OK. :)