Security, Router and Anti-Virus?

1. pennstate

pennstate New Member

Local time:
    11:43
    My System

Hello, first post on these forums, so I hope I am posting this question in the right place. I also want to say long time reader and this is a great place for help so that's why I'm turning here.

On to the question...Today I turned on my laptop which runs Windows 7 and have come across a reoccurring issue. I've had the laptop for less than 6 months. I currently run McAfee Antivirus and a Malwarebytes program as well.

Today my computer shutoff on me (battery full) while surfing the internet and running a virus scan. When I restarted my desktop is black, no icons except McAfee and the recycle bin and the start menu and bottom bar look to be in safe mode. The startup takes a long time. A message pops up instructing that (i'm paraphrasing) windows failed to start vital programs (I should have taken the message down, but now when I start up no issues at all and things appear normal!) Is this part of a virus? If so next issue...

I've also been having issues with my McAfee lately (and have months ago too) where the program automatically turns off the automatic real-time scanning and firewall protection. There is no way to fix it, because it automatically switches back when I manually change it. ALSO when I click to run a scan a message within the McAfee window appears that says "An unexpected problem has occurred during your scan. Please click OK to go back to the Home Page and then try running scan again" but I can't find anyway around this.

I've been having the same issue with my desktop's McAfee program as well, but none of the other problems listed and both computers have separate McAffee accounts.

Long story short, I have been wondering (I'm moderately skilled with computers, but not much when it comes to networking and setting up networks) would a better and security enable router assist in some of these constant virus and trojan issues that the anti-virus software isn't handling? I have an old D-Link router which doesn't allow me to set up security on our wireless network. The options are there but nothing changes/works and I've been told the company no longer provides support on the product.

My question to you is, would getting a newer router with WPA or better security help alleviate some of these issues? I also get the whole redirect problems on computers and devices in my house but no where else.

I hope this is the right forum on the boards to post this. I know it covers a few different areas, sorry for the long winded post but I wanted provide enough details for someone to help. I look forward to response/help. Hope everyone is having wonderful holidays!

P.S. if it matters I have verizon high speed internet and modem.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    17:43
    My System

i think the big problem is mcafee,its a program with a larg footprint and takes a lot of memory ... so i suggest to remove mc afee first complete and switch off the internet connection also, then restart and see what happens next ....

3. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    16:43
    My System

Hi there pennstate.

It sounds like you may be looking for suggestions to a security re-think on your PC. As you are suffering from constant re-infection, I would first suggest that you run thru the Pre-Work (link below in my signature). Once we have established that your PC is "clean" we can advise you on further steps to prolonged protection.

4. Morpheus

Local time:
    My System

indeed, the main thing is to bring your pc back to a clean state, so go to the save modus to click a few times on F8, and when you get into the save mode screen, shoose start up in save mode without internet connection.... after that start up your MBAM and scan the whole pc not a quick scan, but before that try to update your MBAM first before you go to save modus oke?

5. pennstate

pennstate New Member

Local time:
    11:43
    My System

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'm going to try both of these things today and get back to you with both results. Morpheus, I have done what you have suggested before and its got rid of the black screen/missing icon issue (even without completing a scan) but issues always come back. I should have mentioned I also NEVER visit potentially dangerous sites, download items, click pop-up/unknown ads, etc. I've learned my lesson on old computers.

Anyway, I will get back to you later today with the results. Thank you.

6. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    16:43
    My System

Sounds good.

7. Morpheus

Local time:
    My System

oke let us know how the condition is about your pc soon :mrgreen:

8. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    10:43
    My System

Hello PennState :)

Please ensure that the member assisting you with malware removal advice wears the [​IMG] badge before accepting their assistance. It may be that those offering to assist do "know their stuff", but *we* aren't familiar with their skills or training. Those that wear the [​IMG] badge have either completed training here or have been verified to have successfully completed training elsewhere.

xXBludnmunyXx likes this.
  9. Morpheus

Local time:
    My System

hello dciadmin,
    oke i understand that you are don't know anything about me and want to be sure that other members get good advice about they pc problems,so how can i get a pc sec staff, where can i do a test?

greetings

10. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    10:43
    My System

I've left you a visitor message with the appropriate contact info. Our best to you, Morepheus!