Secret iPhone Feature Tracks Owners' Whereabouts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    15:13
    My System

Security researchers have discovered a hidden iPhone feature that secretly tracks and saves the meanderings of the phone - and presumably its owner.
    The tracking feature was described in a presentation at the Where 2.0 Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. According to the researchers, Pete Warden, founder of Data Science Toolkit and Alasdair Allan a researcher at Exeter University in the UK, the tracking feature records the phone's movements, including what cell phone towers and Wifi hotspots it connects to, when and where. While that information isn't shared with Apple, it is retained even when iPhone users update their hardware, suggesting that Apple had plans to use the data at a later time.

Secret iPhone Feature Tracks Owners' Whereabouts | threatpost

2. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

This thread is open for discussion.

3. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    22:13
    My System

4. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    My System

iOS is watching you ... always watching!

Remember when the iPhone had that antenna bug? Well, it turns out that it now it is a bug, a bug that silently tracks your movements.Yesterday a story broke that iOS devices are secretly logging your locations multiple times a day and storing this information is an unencrypted file that’s stored on your iDevice, and also copied to your PC/Mac when you sync with iTunes. But just how much of a big deal is this?

iOS is watching you ... always watching! | ZDNet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.