SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe

Solved
  1. sodapop554

sodapop554 Member Elite Member

Local time:
    03:26
    My System

Just today I've noticed something new to be occurring that never happened before until my graphics card crashed recently which resulted in a Blue Screen of death. Upon opening Windows Task Manager occasionally there will be 2 processes running that disappear once the Task Manager has been open for a couple minutes.

SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe

I've seen these 2 processes running before however it was quite rare. Now if I leave Task Manager closed for quite a while then re-open it, these 2 tasks reappear & won't disappear until I've left Task Manager open for a couple minutes. This is a regular occurrence I've noticed for the past few hours today. Although they're not using up a whole lot of memory or CPU it does strike me as odd why they're re-appearing every time I open Task Manager when it's been closed for over 5 minutes or so.

What could this mean? Could Defragmenting help even though my HDD is only 2% fragmented? What should I do?
  2. jenae

jenae New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    My System

re: SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe

Hi, these are part of windows Indexing and effect the speed of search's. Most users do not need this feature so we turn it off.

Double click computer select properties and uncheck, "index this drive for faster searches" select apply and put a bullet in "apply changes to drive C:\ subfolders & files" OK out.
  3. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

Well I did it although even after I provided administrative rights it still kept encountering errors for many files that it could not apply the changes to, 1 of these was "C:\Commo...\Alphabet.xml" where it said "access denied". This happened many other times to many other files I didn't note down. In addition after it finished I opened Task Manager only to see SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe still running. Although they're gone now I'll keep an eye out to see if they come back. Aside from that though were those errors anything I should worry about? Since the only way to get past them was for me to click "ignore all".

*EDIT: Also the option you told me to check off isn't worded exactly the same. For me it says "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". That is what I unchecked which resulted in all what I said above. Did I do the right thing or what?
  4. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

Yup, SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe are still appearing the same as before. So now what do I do?
  5. jenae

Local time:
    My System

Hi, yes little different to Vista (what I was using) still the same outcome though, "Ignore all" is normal here. Did you select "apply" and restart?
  6. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

Okay I just now restarted it although upon opening Task Manager I noticed that the two tasks were running. True they did disappear like always I'll have to wait & see until tomorrow if they keep appearing as often as they were before, if they don't then that means it worked. In addition will having this disabled make my computer run faster or slower? By that I don't just mean file searching, I mean also in performance or like when I use my custom shortcut key to open Firefox.
  7. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

It didn't work, SearchFilterHost.exe & SearchProtocolHost.exe are still showing up in Task Manager just as often as before. Should I just re-enable what you said to disable or will everything else on my computer except for file searching run faster with it disabled?
  8. jenae

Local time:
    My System

Hi, do you have all your windows updates current and SP1? This problem used to cause issues with .xml files (i tunes), however it is supposed to be fixed , you may need to go to services and disable windows search as well, this does not effect regular non indexed search's, and can always be re enabled if you need.

Go to start, search and type:-services.msc press enter right click on "windows search" select properties and set to disable (stop service first). Restart.
  9. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

Alright but before I do, will that effect my computers performance? Like will it slow down or speed up anything browser related or the speed for opening or saving documents? Could it even slow down or speed up my antivirus scans?
  10. jenae

Local time:
    My System

Hi, no apart from slightly slower search's it will not effect your computer. It will of course eliminate your current problem. This is safe to do. As I said it is easily undone as well.
  11. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

Alright I'll do it right now then let you know how it turns out.
  12. sodapop554

Local time:
    My System

It worked! Thanks so much!*ye%
  13. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System