Restoring Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

1. Rubay

Rubay New Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

Hi, I found a similar thread but it did not seem to have a solution to this problem

I had Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my Dell originally and took it to a repair shop. I let the guy reinstall Windows to make it "like new" and he installed Media Center 2002. It is not the same. The remote doesn't work and reading about it, it looks like an inferior system with less capabilities.

I'm going to take it back to him tomorrow, but I'm reading about this and kind of panicking. Did he just permanently ruin my ability to restore 2005? Do you have to have 2005 on there already in order to restore 2005?

My DVD RW and CD RW drives are no longer recognized when I install a disk and I'm wondering if it's because they are incompatible with 2002. He says he was using them the CD drive during the reinstallation so I'm just baffled.

I ordered MCE 2005 off ebay because I wanted to have a repair disk in case my son mucks the computer up in the future (giving it to him as a gift) and I thought I could use it to fix this if this repair guy doesn't make this right. Am I screwed?
  2. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    07:43
    My System

Welcome to PCHF, Rubay :)

Does your Dell have a Factory Restore partition? That's what many vendors provide in leu of OS disks. Use of the Factory Restore partition would reinstall the system to the way it was when it left the factory. To access Factory Restore Partitions, it's often F11 or F12 immediately following a reboot. I'm about to head off for work, but before I go I'll get your issue marked as OPEN to attract the attention of the experts that frequent PCHF.

It would be most helpful if you could complete your [​IMG] portion of the User Profile (instructions also available in the PINK link below). That would put your system's information in the small computer icon just right of your name. Be sure to note if this is a desktop or laptop system. The System Specs information will "travel with you" at PCHF so we don't have to ask for it again. Be sure to mark them to be visible. The default is NOT to show them.

Please know that our Community of Volunteers come from locations around the world so time zones play a big part in how quickly the person with the answer is available to address your question. Your patience is appreciated!
  3. Lord Chance

Lord Chance Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello Rubay and welcome,:)

DCiAdmin is correct. If the Tech used your Restore partition then it was probably MCE 2002. I would be sure to ask your tech. If the Tech made a mistake then give him a chance to correct it. If you have a legal copy of MCE 2005 then you will have to do a clean install.:)
  4. Lord Chance

Local time:
    My System

How are things going Rubay? Get things squared away? :)
  5. Rubay

Rubay New Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

No factory restore partition. it is weird- properties says it's MCE 2002 but elsewhere it says 2004 and IN Media Center it says it's running 2005. Not how it was originally, but I'm just going to accept it unless I run into problems. Tech claims all versions of MCE are the same, which doesn't make sense to me when I read about them online. I just want to know I have the most supported version. I know there is no longer support out there, but I believe I read that 2005 had the longest running suport (ie updates). This system had so many issues over the last 7 years, I just don't want to be stuck with an even older, more buggy one.
  6. Lord Chance

Local time:
    My System

Unfortunately MCE never really had much support to begin with. Media Center was an OS Addon that did not really become popular. Most of the people who used it only saw minor fixes and upgrades. Perhaps this link will help. Have a look.

Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
  7. Arctos

Arctos You may call me Arctos. Elite Member

Local time:
    22:43
    My System

Waiting for a response from the OP, marked as Pending...