[Resolved] S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status Bad

1. Cavanaughd

Cavanaughd New Member

Local time:
    21:34
    My System

I was in the process of loading XP Pro onto a spare PC (800Mhz - IBM CLone). I had to change the 1st Boot Device (in Bois Set-up) to CDROM so that the PC would load XP. Set-up require Particitioning, formating as well as selection of NTFS (?) versus FAT. Just prior to XP being fully installed I got a message saying the system was shutting down to prevent damage. Each time I try to restart to finish the intall I get the following "S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status Bad" followed by "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace Press F1 to Resume", then a request to hit Ctrl/Alt.Delete to move forwad. I cannot get beyond this point. Harddrive shot??

2. GaRHaR

GaRHaR Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    10:34
    My System

Hi Cavanaughd, welcome to the PCHF.

Terribly sorry that noone has replied to your post.

SMART was a technology introduced a few years back to monitor the hard drives and give you an idea as to if they're going to die soon.

From the sounds of it, yours has died - although if you do a low level format, you might be able to save it (but doubtful).
    If it's an older computer that wasn't being used....upgrade your current hard drive, put that one in the old box :)

3. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Elite PCHF Werewolf Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    02:34
    My System

If this drive has not already died, as GarHar suggests, and you need your data off it and you are having difficulty doing it, then try the deep freeze method.
    Get a ziplock bag or a bag from which the air can be removed and place it in the bag then in the freezer overnight.
    Re-connect it and you may get some data off it.
    For anyone thinking I'm having a laugh, look here.
    Freeze your hard drive to recover data: Myth or reality? - [Geeks are Sexy] technology news

4. Cavanaughd

Cavanaughd New Member

Local time:
    21:34
    My System

Thanks!

:mrgreen:
    Thanks for your reply! I suspected the harddrive was dead. Not a great loss I got the 800 Mhz PC for free and was in the process of building it for my kids. Now I will just install a new harddrive (I had no data on it).
    Dave

5. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Elite PCHF Werewolf Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    My System

Thank you for letting us know Dave. :mrgreen:

6. upgrader

upgrader Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System