Programs open with windows photo viewer

1. wade92le

wade92le New Member

Local time:
    03:27
    My System

Pretty much all of my desktop icons have changed to the windows photo viewer icon and they all open with windows photo viewer I will click firefox and windows photo viewer pops up and says "Windows photo viewer can't open this picture because Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer"

soooo I can't access most of my programs now. please help thanks!
  2. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello Wade92le,

Welcome to PC Help Forum :)

Could you please click on System Specs in my signature and follow the instructions as this would be very beneficial for our techs and enable the best response for any future issues.

I have also marked your thread as open to attract the attention of our Tech team and talented forum members,someone will be with you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Airman24
  3. godsagirl

godsagirl New Member Silver Member

Local time:
    22:27
    My System

4. wade92le

wade92le New Member

Local time:
    My System

I can't!! it opens in windows photo viewer lol. (now the link, but the programs the thread wants me to download) :( The only reason I am able to access firefox is because there's an icon on my desktop that is one of my favorites in firefox and for some reason that's one of the only programs that works.
  5. Airman24

Local time:
    My System

Hi Wade92le,

I would like to ask if you can try safe mode with networking or do you have access to another PC that you could download the prework and then transfer to your PC ?

Regards,

Airman24
  6. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:27
    My System

7. Airman24

Local time:
    My System

Hi Wade92le,

I would like to ask if you require any further assistance,an update would be most appreciated please.

marked as pending

Regards,

Airman24...:)
  8. Menauhant

Menauhant New Member

Local time:
    My System

This is how I fixed the exact same problem. Every short cut and program on a friends laptop were somehow associated to open with Windows Picture Viewer. I was able to open the control panel, once there I created a new user. Once the new user was set I logged off and logged on as the new user. After that I rolled the PC back to an earlier date. It took about 5 mins and then the PC was back to where it was a few days earlier. The new user name was gone because it was created after the roll back date and there was the original user. I logged in and all Icons were now correct and all programs opened properly. I hope this helps somebody. Now if we only knew why or how this happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  9. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:27
    My System

Hi Menauhant,
    Welcome to PCHF.

That's a nice fix for that problem that I never thought of trying before.

What usually causes the problem to occur in the first place though is that someone right clicks on an .exe file accidentally, clicks open with and then chooses photo viewer or some other application. Once they do that all .exe files are then associated with photo viewer or whatever program and try to open with it.