PLEASE HELP: UKASH Virus, can't even start in safe mode...

1. AChicago

AChicago New Member

Local time:
    15:56
    My System

I have recently contracted a U.S. Ukash virus that states:

Your computer is locked! Your computer is blocked because of the offense of the law of United States of America for the following violations......... the virus wants me to pay $100 to "Pay the penalty".

I have looked all over the internet for solutions to remove the virus and many people have found success by running malwarebytes or combofix while in the safe mode. My computer cannot even start successfully in safe mode, safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt.

Please, please... this seems like a problem for someone who really knows their computer virus stuff. I desperately need to save this computer. Thank you for any help!

2. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    06:56
    My System

Can you run your computer at all.Does it boot up. ?

3. AChicago

AChicago New Member

Local time:
    My System

Yes it'll boot up. There are currently two options... 1) let it boot up "naturally" and starts Windows and quickly the Virus screen pops up or 2) I hit F8 to get the black screen and I can choose any of the options, however, it comes back to the black screen and says there was a problem starting up.

4. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

Are you able to get the Start button....If so I want you to download this program from another computer, onto a thumb drive and run it on your computer.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from Malwarebytes.org
    Alternate link: Download Mirror

(Note: if you already have the program installed, just follow the directions. No need to re-download or re-install!)

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

(Note: if you already have the program installed, open Malwarebytes from the Start Menu or Desktop shortcut, click the Update tab, and click Check for Updates, before doing the scan as instructed below!)
    Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
    The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. If you are prompted to restart, please allow it to restart your computer. Failure to do this, will cause the infection to still be active on the computer.
    Please save the log to a location you will remember.
    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    The log can also be found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
    Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.
    If Malwarebytes fails to download please use the following link:

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-download-exe-random.php

5. AChicago

AChicago New Member

Local time:
    My System

I'm at work now and downloaded Malwarebytes, Combofix and AVG onto a thumb drive. Just to clarify, my computer currently is unable to start-up in safe mode. It will try for a few minutes and then go back to the black screen with my safe mode options. How do you suggest I access the thumb drive information?

6. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

You should find that info in C:\ drive.Right click on Start>Explore.I will be at the bottom of the list possibly marked 'Removable Drive'