Philips Freevents MT1800, help?

Solved
  1. bethanypinder

bethanypinder New Member

Local time:
    08:31
    My System

So, I have had my Philips Freevents MT1800 for approximately 6 years now.
    Last year in July 2010, my computer lost one of it's crucial files (Can't quite remember which file). So I did a Philips System Recovery and everything fine.. until now. For the past 3 months, my computer had been working very slow (bang your head against the wall and throw the computer out of the window sort of slow!) so I decided to do a system recovery. What I didn't realise is this would have more oncoming problems.

So, first I did Philips System Recovery, I started at 8:30 pm, expecting it to finish at 1:00 am, as it had a lot of files on the computer and a "my old file structure" folder containing all folders from the last System Recovery that I did. At about 11pm, the computer restarted as if it was finished, but instead said that Windows couldn't start as WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG.msi was missing. All it would allow me to do was insert the Windows XP disk that I didn't get with the computer.

All this added up to us using a recovery diagnostic disk, and using an application which would totally format the hard drive, so we set that going in hope that it would format the HDD to install a different OS. This also failed.
    We came to the conclusion the the HDD was broken. So, we went out a bought a 100% compatible Hard Drive, which works.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.

We then found out that the SATA port was broken. We then switched the bus to IDE (I believe) and all was good.

BUT THERE'S MORE..

We installed Windows XP Professional and booted computer, everything works. Well, not quite everything.
    We are missing numerous drivers, and to get these drivers we have to connect to the internet.. but the computer doesn't have Hi-speed USB Ports, any service packs, about 15-20 missing drivers for things that the computer knows are there or drivers for its built in wireless internet connector, meaning we can't get these drivers.

Is there any way we can get our Windows XP Professional 2002 Version to connect to the internet? We have tried connecting it with an Ethernet cable, but this doesn't work either. Can anyone identify the problem?

Thank you!
    bethanypinder :)

EDIT: I think I may have put this is the wrong section, so if it is possible to move, please do so :)

2. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

Hello Bethany, and welcome to the forum
    I've marked your thread as Open to encourage a response from the Techs and talented forum members amongst us..

Thanks for your patience :mrgreen:

3. bethanypinder

bethanypinder New Member

Local time:
    My System

Thank you! :D

4. Aleksandr

Aleksandr New Member Silver Member

Local time:
    03:31
    My System

Have you tried going to your manufacturer's website (with another computer) to see which drivers are available there? Which OS was installed there before?

5. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Bethany, did you get this resolved yet, or are you still looking for help?

6. bethanypinder

bethanypinder New Member

Local time:
    My System

Problem has been resolved.
    Thankfully, I installed an Alternative OS (Windows 7) which already has all the drivers I needed.