overclock failed followed by BSOD

1. killerjava

killerjava New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    06:40
    My System

Hey guys, I am new around here and I need some guidance.

My pc has been overclocked for over a year and it was only about a week ago where I started to have issues, did not install anything new, only updates and what not.

Here is my PC's spec's:

Motherboard : Asus Maximum IV extreme-z
    CPU: I7 2600K 3.4 ghz (was at 4.6 stable for over a year)
    CPU Cooler: Notua NH-D14
    Video Card: Radeon HD 6850 (have an alternate of HD 5770)
    Cosair vengence 2 4 gig sticks (low profile I believe)

Anyway I cam home from work, my PC was on but died, no response from keyboard or mouse. Turned it off and turned it on, told me I "overclocked failed". So I put all of my bios settings to default and was able to boot into windows.

Started to reseearch on possible problems, CPU, MoBo, Video card, RAM, HDD, and PSU. However, everything runs fine when NOT under load.

I have ran, prime95 (crashes after 20 minutes it can take to almost an hour for it to crash). Ran memtest86, no errors to report there. If HDD failed then I wouldn't be able to boot, unless it was bad sectors.

I took a screen shot of my bios and it looked like this.
    IMG_20130423_193226.jpg

I don't like the wierd things on it, I cannot even see all the settings in the BIOS especially like that.

I would add the crash dump files but its way too big. However i have attached what I got from WinDbg.

I have tested with the other video card I have (Radeon HD 5770), everything appears to be all good however, my pc crashes after running anything. I am really running out of ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. NBK*Twitch

NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    05:40
    My System

First let me welcome you to PCHF, I am NBK*Twitch and I will be assisting you with this issue.

From the details you have given above this sounds like a simple overheating issue.

Things to try -

1. Open the case and use a can of air to blow it out. After doing so reboot the machine and see if the problem occurs. If it does see 2.

2. Reapply thermal paste onto your CPU. First wipe off the old thermal paste with alcohol and a cloth or cutip. Then put a dab of new thermal paste and make smear it evenly on your cpu. After doing so reboot your machine and see if your problem still occurs.

For a video on cleaning your cpu and applying thermal paste see here -
  3. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

Thank you for responding to my issue/problem, I have been monitoring the heat from the CPU, and under load it never goes beyond 42 degrees. and in idle it can go as low as 25 degrees celsius, not sure what that is in F. So I don't think thermal paste will do much, but if you insist me on doing that. Then I will.

Also to your first suggestion, my case has been open since last monday, april 22nd, 2013. Also the room that it is in, never really gets that hot unless the sun is shining in it. But even then. I don't think an overheating is the issue on this one.

However the graphics card gets to around 60 degrees when I do gpu test. using MSIKombuster.
  4. NBK*Twitch

Local time:
    My System

Seeing that it crashes under pressure from prime95 this indicates either overheating or your CPU going bad in general.

I like to start with the simple stuff before jumping straight to replacing hardware.

It is all the process of elimination ;).
  5. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

This is my temperature running prime 95, and all cores are at 100%, since I have turbo boost enabled its clocked at 3.8ghz, but can fluctuate between 1.6 and 3.4 when not being used for much.

Here is the screen shot
    temp_under_load.png
  6. NBK*Twitch

Local time:
    My System

Well if you do not want to follow my suggestion so we can find the problem I will not be able to assist you.

Reapplying thermal paste will not hurt anything. No software based hardware monitor is 100% accurate.

I would like to rule out overheating before jumping to hardware problems and replacements..
  7. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

I will add thermal paste in a few minutes and I will get back to you.
  8. NBK*Twitch

Local time:
    My System

Remember to clean off the original thermal paste first ;).
  9. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

Okay so I added new thermal paste. And I still get the same temperatures. Yes, I did take off the old thermal paste that was there and put some new stuff on.

After that I figured to let it run for a little while. Restarted went into bios to check the temperature of the cpu. It was the same as before, around 25-27 degrees Celsius (I don't know what that is in F).
  10. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

update: I still have not overclocked my pc nor has it been used much the last few days. Been busy with other things. So my pc has not crashed as a result. I am sure if i put it under load it would crash again.

Any other ideas?
  11. NBK*Twitch

Local time:
    My System

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Since it has not crashed recently go ahead and try running prime95 again.

If it does crash then, your issue is most likely the CPU. You will need to either borrow a compatible CPU or get a new one. Or if you happen to have a warranty on it you could ship it back and get a replacement. (RMA)
  12. killerjava

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for all the help. I don't know if you would know this, but would a faulty CPU cause my BIOS to look so weird? as if the resolution was not set correctly? Or would that be considered as a video card problem?

If I recall correctly it was okay before my pc started crashing. However I never went into the bios since I first built my PC. So any information regarding the BIOS screen looking weird is appreciated.

Thanks.
  13. NBK*Twitch

Local time:
    My System

Seeing as it is a custom bios screen it could either be the programming itself or the motherboard. If you are not having any graphic related issues elsewhere i'd place my bets on the programming.

Your BIOS issue and BSOD/crashing issues is most likely two completely separate issues.