Outlook 2010 does not display embedded images

1. Jani

Jani New Member

Local time:
    04:00
    My System

I have Office 2010 on both office and home computers. A sig is automatically added to the office email when it is sent to outside systems. It has graphics in it. On my home computer, any embedded graphics are received as a bunch of attachments. They appear to be gif images, but I can't open them. Then, in the body of the email, there are links which also cannot be opened, like this:
    [cid:image852216.gif@a98f2e2f.38a44270]. If you right-click on the hyper link and open it, it puts it into an email, in the "To" field. Who knows where that email would go! I have checked all the items in the File menu, including the Trust Center settings. I have made my office self a trusted sender. I have made sure that the emails go as HTML. I have also sent the same emails to a hotmail account, and they are received there with no problems. After many hours trying to get to the bottom of this, I really don't know what to do next. I found an answer from "Dave" on this forum, suggesting that although the message may have been composed in HTML, it might go out as plain text. But the header of the mail says "HTML", and I checked that. I certainly hope somebody has an answer for this.
  2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:00
    My System

Hi there and welcome to PCHF

Your thread is marked as Open and is ready for a Tech with the relevant knowledge to assist you.
  3. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    06:00
    My System

4. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:00
    My System

Jani, please tell us if Antman's recommended fix has helped you with this.
  5. Jani

Jani New Member

Local time:
    04:00
    My System

Antman, thank you very much indeed for your excellent and easy to understand answer. I was indeed receiving messages which had been sent in HTML in plain text. The link in Antman's answer "Don't receive all messages in plain text" was particularly helpful. The sender was definitely sending HTML, so I logged on to comcast's webmail and found that it was not receiving HTML.

I checked all the settings, and the webmail client was set up to receive and display HTML. I started a chat with a comcast analyst, and after about 2 hours, he had to escalate the problem, which seems to be local to my account. Apparently, it's not downloading the HTML properly. Other comcast users can receive images, but I can't. So now I'm waiting for the second-line support person to get back to me.

Antman's reply was instrumental in my narrowing the problem down to the ISP. Thanks a lot for the help. If and when the solution is made known to me, I'll post here again so that it could help someone else