Not able to Burn CD's on my Dell

Solved
  1. lostoam311

lostoam311 Member Silver Member

Local time:
    20:19
    My System

I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505. I recently had it rebooted because of a virus so now I'm slowly learning what does and doesn't work on it... I would like to burn MUSIC CD's on my Dell, but every time I do, the CD Burner spins and spins, but nothing burns, then it says cancelling burn... Please select a Slower burn setting, so I do, but it gives me the same error message... This was all using iTunes... So I tried using another program, Sprint Media Manager... It didn't work either... I don't see any burning programs on my Dell start menu. My Dell Service Tag # is DHNQW91. I downloaded the driver underneath CD and DVD after entering my service tag at dell.com and extracted it all, restarted my computer and still doesn't work... Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Jon
  2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:19
    My System

Have you talk to Dell about this? A Tech will address your problem.....thanks for your patience....
  3. lostoam311

Local time:
    My System

Thank you for the quick reply Vger! I have not talked to Dell.. My computer is out of warranty by a few years and I don't have the cash to pay them $50 an hour... LOL Therefore, I'm here trying to get some help... I've gone to windows update at microsoft.com and I know it has something to do with my burner because I tried two different programs, iTunes and Sprint Media Manager... I don't have any CD Burning Software loaded on my computer and I know for a fact that when I bought my computer NEW, it definitely had software, but I don't remember what it was called and this particular Dell model didn't come with any boot CD's... I even called up Dell when I got my computer and asked where the CD's were and they told me it didn't come with it... sort of fishy if you ask me, but I had the Computer Nerds, that's the name of their biz I swear, make me a reboot CD... In the meantime, I appreciate your help in helping me to burn a music CD! Thanks
  4. vger

Local time:
    My System

Your welcome,let me see if i can get a tech involved,so thanks for your patience......
  5. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    02:19
    My System

6. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello Lostoam311,

Let me provide a couple of suggestions. The first one is to ensure that your drive is being seen by the PC as it should.

Please follow Steps 2 - 4 in the attached URL. That has solved many a CD/DVD issue for me.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Barugon’s Cave (^_^)

My 2nd recommendation is for a CD/DVD burning software called CDBurnerXP. Great little freebie. Here's its link
    CDBurnerXP: Downloads

I have used this software for well over a year and am *very pleased*. I'm sure you will be as well.

Let us know your status after the above 2 suggestions have been implemented.
  7. lostoam311

Local time:
    My System

my computer reads cd's and dvd's when I put them in... I downloaded infrarecorder from ELPMEK's link and tried to burn a music cd that way, but it still won't work... It says 'Burn completed', but when I take the CD out and put it back in my computer or I even tried putting it in my car, and it Still Won't Work... ahhhhhh.... I put other "Burned" CD's in my computer and it plays them perfect! It just won't burn a CD....
    I also downloaded CDBurnerXP: Downloads, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer... Even after restarting....
    It was working fine before my computer was restored.... There's gotta be a driver or something missing... Of course, I'm not the expert, that's why I'm here... LOL
    Do you have any other suggestions or downloads???
    Thanks,
    Jon
  8. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    02:19
    My System

9. vger

Local time:
    My System

Hello,do you still require help?
  10. lostoam311

Local time:
    My System

Hi, thanks for the responses!!! I couldn't figure it out on my own, so I took it back to the computer repair company and they did a few tests and somehow that 2009 super virus that I had a few weeks back destroyed my CD burner.... They said the laser thing that burns the CD's is broken.... So I guess it's just my 6 year old Dell getting old... Time for a new one...
  11. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for letting us know. I'll get this marked as RESOLVED.

If you decide to try building your own replacement system, PCHF has staff that can assist. Looking foward to seeing you around the forum!
    vger likes this.