No wireless signal from wireless router

Solved
  1. acerbicshaun

acerbicshaun New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    21:34
    My System

I just moved and was setting up my PC with an external modem and a Belkin Wireless G router so that my laptop and my wife's macbook could have internet access here at the new place.

I've got the PC up and running with the internet but have not been able to get the wireless router to send out anything for the laptops. The closest we had was she was able to connect for about 90 seconds before the wireless signal disappeared completely.

On the suggestion of a friend, I've installed a Dynex desktop 10/100mbps PCI network card as the PC's original ethernet port would not hold any ethernet cable whatsoever.

Right now, the laptops can connect to the default "belkin54g" network but there is no internet access provided when doing so. The router itself has its wireless logo lit up, the modem logo lit up, the port number lit up (I've tried different ports) but the internet logo on the router does not light up ... which obviously indicates its not sending out an internet signal.

Before I bang my head completely through the wall here, I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance on getting this issue resolved.
  2. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    02:34
    My System

Hello Acerbicshaun,

Welcome to PC Help Forum :)I hope you enjoy your time here.

Could you please click on PC Specs at the end of this post and follow the instructions on posting your PC specs,this would enable the best response for any future issues.;)

I have also marked your thread as open to attract the attention of our Tech team and talented forum members,someone will be with you as soon as possible.

Please click here>>>[​IMG]

Regards,

Airman24.:)
  3. acerbicshaun

Local time:
    My System

Done.
  4. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    20:34
    My System

Hello Acerbicshaun :)

So you've got Internet on the desktop PC? But nothing to the Wireless laptops, huh?

The desktop is connected to the same Belkin router that provides the wireless, correct? You have the modem connected into the Internet port on the modem and NOT one of the numbered ports, correct?
  5. acerbicshaun

Local time:
    My System

Internet is fine on PC but router doesnt appear to be sending an internet signal, though it is sending a wireless network signal.

Current configuration:
    Cable hooked to cable modem; ethernet cord running from modem to WAN port on router; another ethernet cord running from #2 spot on router to the PCI netowrk card jack installed last night.

Modem is a Zoom USB/Ethernet cable modem, router is a Belkin Wireless G Router.
  6. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

You said you've just moved, right? This is rather foggy as I haven't messed with a cable modem for a while.

Since moving and connecting to the modem, have you reset your router back to factory and reestablished the home network? It seems like I used to have power everything off, power on the modem, power on the router then the wired computer. Reconfigure the home network and then all was good. Have you tried that?
  7. acerbicshaun

Local time:
    My System

I'm having trouble getting into the router to reset factory defaults but not getting anywhere there. The default for Belkins, as I understand it, would be 192.168.2.1 (also tried 192.168.2.2) ... nothing. I went through and did the ipconfig and got IP address of 75.138.176.213 ... tried that as an alternative, and nothing there either
  8. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

Please see this from Belkin on how to reset the Router to factory defaults.
  9. acerbicshaun

Local time:
    My System

We eventually came to the conclusion the router was no longer any good. Its several years old, hasn't been used since the summer of 2007.

Purchased a new router and everything is up and running with no problem.
  10. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

Glad to hear that it was an easy resolution, acer! Thanks also for the update.

Marked as SOLVED. See you around the forum often, I hope!