Nexus 7 Will Not Charge - ASUS Warranty

1. dodoegg1

dodoegg1 Member Silver Member

Local time:
    13:43
    My System

Hi, my sluggish Nexus 7 will now not charge! No reason why and not sure how long its been failing to do so as I charge every night but have noticed its not been full bar for some time.
    it has 3% battery left, tried numerous ways of charging it but it just will not charge up.

I've attempted registering the product on Asustek website and its a farce, badly translated and typically doesn't proceed onto next screens with a bunch of errors at every screen.
    I managed to waste a good 45 minutes and got to the important 'register your product' screen, only for their shambles of a website to fail to recognise the Serial Number "SN" which I have entered numerous times and attempted variants 0 and O etc.

How would I exercise my warranty when I cannot register it due to their shoddy website?

If anybody fancies getting so angry that you'd want to punch things, then head on over to the website and try to register your tablet. The drop down menu doesn't have TABLET as an option as that would be too helpful. So you'll need to select Eee Pad and then Nexus 7 on the dropdown from there.

Nexus 7 is not rooted

Questions for the experts then are;
    1- How do I get this faulty piece of kit sent back to ASUS to deal with, to get a refund/ replacement (hopefully the former as its such an over rated pile of BS)
    2- How can I back up game data? Got a few save games such as GTA 3 on there, don't wana lose em if I end up with a new Nexus its one of the few things its good for.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/attachments/asus-jpg.43916/
  2. mike_bike_kite

mike_bike_kite Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

I'm no expert but ....

Charging: have you tried connecting the N7 to your computer via usb? does it show up? if it does then does it charge via the computer's usb? if it doesn't show up then could you try another cable just to check the cable isn't broke.

Backup: If you can get it to charge this way then backup your N7 via the tablet settings > backup (you'll need an account for this).

Slugish: The N7 should be one of the faster tablets out there. What size memory is yours and is the memory full (settings > storage)? If you delete some stuff does it speed up? You seem to imply that the N7 is always slugish but you also say you don't want to lose your GTA3 game data - this implies it's fast enough to play GTA3 or at least it has been in the past.

Warranty: Did you buy it via credit card or still have the receipt or an order number. If so then just tell them it's failed, give them the details, and say you'll post it back to them.

To me it just sounds like you've filled the memory and need to delete stuff.

Mike
  3. dodoegg1

Local time:
    My System

Hi Mike thanks for your response. I'll reply in bold to your questions;

4. mike_bike_kite

Local time:
    My System

My suspicion is that the device is simply out of memory and no program can run. Have you checked that no other program is filling the memory once you've deleted something? Under settings > storage it will show how much is actually free (unsure if this is what you did before). Then click apps to see what apps are using the most storage. Can you delete any? Try and get the memory usage down to 3/4 and check to see if anything tries to fill it up again.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that the charging has failed as well as all the apps going slugish. I'm hoping that the app that reports the current charge is just refusing to run without memory. I might be hoping for a lot but I have loads of devices and I've never had a charger fail on me - I've snapped leads before and my dear son often manages to tear the sockets out of devices as he wanders off forgetting that it's plugged into something else.

If you had the 8GB model then I'd recommend sending it back as there's a fair chance they'd replace it with a 16GB version. As it stands, if nothing else works and you've tried everything above (and no-one suggests anything else), then I'd just do a factory reset and see if that helps. Keep it plugged into the wall though.

Mike

PS I'm still not an expert on these things but I do own one.
  5. mike_bike_kite

Local time:
    My System

Did you try anything? is it working now?
  6. dodoegg1

Local time:
    My System

nope, I am sending it back

It had more than 2Gb free space. A device of this quality shouldn't suddenly fail because it needs more 2gb otherwise there would be warnings in the manual.

So I am getting a refund and may buy another after xmas if there is a price drop. Probably not though, I could taken it or leave it, wasn't impressed. Loads of things annoyed me about it, the small x at the top of webpages making it unecessarily difficult to close a tab. Just didnt seem that well thought out. Like everyone seems to say, its just a big phone but without a sim card slot.
  7. dodoegg1

Local time:
    My System

And for anyone who one day may have the same problem- ASUS also have a contact us tab so I went via that route and they offered to examine and repair/ replace. I would have taken them up on this but HMV offered a refund and pay for postage, so that was the better deal as who knows what ASUS would have sent back... maybe one of those lifted screen units.

My only worry is that the device won't be wiped clean. Every account I have was logged in, emails, facebook etc.
  8. LINKTOTHEPAST

LINKTOTHEPAST Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    08:43
    My System

This was an interesting read. I actually tried the Nexus 7 this week. Overall it is a nice device when travelling on the road. But the one thing that disappointed me was the lack of a (micro) SD card slot. A comparable device is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2: Similar in shape and size, it has the SD Card slot but only has a 1 ghz dual core processor. It becomes apparent when scrolling through applications as it gets a little laggy at times.
  9. pheimill

pheimill New Member

Local time:
    08:43
    My System

To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
    2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.
    3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see “Power Off Device.”
    4. Choose that option with the Power button.
    5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
    6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

got fix from:
    https://plus.google.com/ DerekRoss/posts/563EVVEPMDS
  10. mike_bike_kite

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for posting that pheimill, it's nice to know if an issue does arise then there's a simple fix.
    I use mine constantly but I've never had the slightest issue - I love it to bits to be honest.
  11. Harold_ot

Harold_ot New Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

My son's new Nexus 7 wouldn't charge at all. I tried the advice above and it didn't help in our case. I found advice that said the battery could be loose. After finding a video on opening the case, I shifted the battery closer to the connector and pushed the connectors together. After closing the case I started it up and it works fine. The opening for the battery is an 1/8 inch too wide, allowing the battery to shift and loosen the connections.
  12. Yitz

Yitz New Member

Local time:
    15:43
    My System

My Nexus 7 had faulty glass, which soon broke, Even though there is no hint in the warranty that glass is not covered, Asus refuses to fix it under warranty. They want $160 for the repair - when the whole thing cost $200 new. And I didn't even find that out until after weeks of run-around, broken web site, bad phone service, weeks of delay for email response, etc., as in the case described above.

This was a nice little device. Too bad Asus ruined it by not caring about their customers.
  13. mike_bike_kite

Local time:
    My System

It's possible to buy warranties that cover the glass. It may even be possible in future to buy products that use gorilla glass which is almost unbreakable. My preferred option is just to buy a nice leather cover (this is mine) - it makes the N7 far nicer to use and protects it far better - I've dropped mine a few times and nothing has broken (yet). You can but replacement screens on ebay for about $90 but it's probably easier just buying a new device and purchasing the extended warranty next time.

I had a quick scan of the web to see what people said. One guy put it quite succinctly "If any of you guys owned a company that made excellent tablets and sold them at practically cost, would you replace peoples broken screens for free?".

Mike
  14. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

:mrgreen: