My sound has disappeared

Solved
  1. olddude

olddude Member PCHF $Donator Gold Member

Local time:
    05:15
    My System

Hey guys I'm not sure what I have going on here but I don't seem to have sounds coming out of my speakers anymore. I think it may have something to do with a tool bar I installed on my computer a few weeks ago but i can't say for sure. I don't even remember what the name of the tool bar was but it was for searching the web for service and user manuals of pretty much anything you could think of. One of my endless searches led me to this site that offered this tool bar and it seemed safe so I tried it and used it several times and everything was ok. This bar had several different apps that came with the bar and one was a radio station button where you could listen to different radio stations across the nation. I used it several times while messing around on the computer and I didn't have any strange things happening.

The next possibility is that one day my wife was working on her work laptop at home because she had hurt her back and couldn't drive her car so she stayed home. It was uncomfortable for her to type on the laptop the way she had to sit and she decided to borrow my wireless keyboard and mouse from my computer while I was working. She didn't shut my computer off, she just pulled the USB controller out of the port it was in and took all the stuff and plugged it in to hers.

I don't know if either of these two things caused the sound to go away but all this happened at about the same time. I did notice that when I did plug my wireless connector back in to my computer it would not wake up so I had to reboot it and had trouble getting it to boot up. when I pushed in the power button it would act like it wanted to start but never came on but the computer sounded like it wanted to take off. I could hear the cooling fans running, the screen was black and then the fans started to race to the point I thought they were going to spin off their shafts so I hit the power switch to cut it off and waited for a few seconds and tried it again with the same results. After several tries like this I just unplugged the power cord and waited several seconds and plugged it back in and it booted slowly and finally came up. I ran a AV scan that found nothing strange and rebooted and it did the same thing until I unplugged the computer power cord and it came on but very slowly.

I ran a deep clean scan from my Advanced system care program and it did clear up some problems but found no adware or spyware. I ran CCcleaner with the same results. Please note that after I ran these two programs the boot problem seemed to go away and the machine would boot normally but really slow. I spent 2 days looking for problems and running Avast, and several other different spyware programs that found nothing out of the ordinary, well my superantispyware program did find a couple of adware things that always come up as soon as you go on to the web.

All this time I still had sound but later found out I had sound only when I was listening to one of the radio stations on that tool bar. Other than that I didn't have any sound at all. I found this out when I was trying to watch a utube video and couldn't get the sound to work. Sound would work off the tool bar while listening to the stations on the bar but nowhere else. I finally figured out how to uninstall the tool bar but once I did I still have no sound.

I didn't know where to put this because I don't know if it is an adware problem or if I have a hardware/software problem. I have gone through the windows troubleshooting several times and done everything it suggest but still no sound. Also the little speaker icon is gone from taskbar even though it is checked in the dialog box in properties.

2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

3. olddude

Local time:
    My System

4. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

What's your Dell Service Tag or Express Code?

5. olddude

Local time:
    My System

It's a Dell optiplex GX620
    service tag 6BL2391

code 13761191413

6. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

Thanks. If you have never installed a soundcard (add-on) into your PC, go here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19 download and install the Chipset drivers.

After a reboot, go into Control Panel > Sound Devices and make sure that the sound card/chip is recognized.

7. olddude

Local time:
    My System

I did that yesterday, there was one critical update and an optional one for my machine. I downloaded the critical one, should I have downloaded both?

8. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

I don't think it's related to drivers...more levels. Did you triple check all of the sound tabs in control panel?

9. olddude

Local time:
    My System

Yes I did but really don't know what I'm looking at they all look the same as they did before. There was also a Bios upgrade available which I also downloaded. I haven't seen much of a change but the machine does seem to load a little faster on start up. I don't know if that download really helped but it does seem to load faster. Of course with all the other stuff I did yesterday anything could get the credit.

I noticed the drivers for everything still shows the same older dates in the properties for each thing listed. They are are showing as operating properly but they have been showing that all along.

10. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

Do you have a volume icon by the clock?

11. olddude

Local time:
    My System

No, I thought I mentioned that before....sorry. When I look at the sounds and audio properties box there is a box with a check mark in it for adding the icon to the taskbar but it does not show up there.

12. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

Plz post a screenshot

13. olddude

Local time:
    My System

Of my desk top???

14. Hengis

Local time:
    My System

No, I would like to see your sound icon by the clock and also the contents of the audio tabs (not voice).

15. olddude

Local time:
    My System

Hopefully this was what you wanted.

Attached Files: