My Cursor has completely vanished off the screen on my laptop!

1. morti31

morti31 New Member

Local time:
    02:10
    My System

Well....I woke up this morning turned on my laptop...get to the opening screen on Vista...and find out there's no cursor on the screen.

I was a bit confused at why it wasn't there because you don't have to plug anything (being a laptop). So I move it around....nothing comes of it.

So I log in (using just my keyboard) and restart....Same thing happens...there's no cursor.
    So I think, well maybe if I wait a couple of hours then it may come back (for some reason), so I switch off my Laptop completely, and wait.

I turn it back on....it's the same, no cursor...so now I'm getting a little worried because I need my laptop for various different things because it has a lot of my needed files on it, yeah granted I can do most things that I want to do with my keyboard but it's a right pain in the neck.
    So I get my USB mouse, plug it into the USB slot... doesn't work. So now I don't know what to do...and I'm using my rubbish PC to post this and hopefully get a good reply to get my cursor back!

Thanks in Advance,

Morts

2. madmonkey

madmonkey Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello morti31, welcome to PCHF. Well need to do a little investigation first.

Can you go to Control Panel, Mouse, and move to the Hardware tab. Can you what devices listed here, and what is showing for "Device Status"? (assuming you know how to get here by using the keyboard?)

3. morti31

morti31 New Member

Local time:
    My System

Yeah got there...it doesn't have a device down as listed...it's just completely blank...any ideas?

4. madmonkey

madmonkey Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

OK, go back to Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, followed by Device Manager.

Are there any devices listed with exclaimation of question marks shown agaist them?

5. Mark K

Mark K New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    My System

I've experienced this on a few laptops at work. Never happens to PC's with Vista, only Laptops.

Some things to try,

1. Turn mouse pointer trail on
    Right click desktop -> Personalize -> Mouse Pointers -> Pointer Options -> Turn on "Display Pointer Trails"

2. Disable mouse shadow
    Go to control panel -> mouse -> go to pointers tab -> uncheck the option "enable pointer shadow"->apply the settings

The first option fixed this problem for me, but its only a temporary fix not an official one.