Mouse wheel scroll speed

1. lucianp

lucianp Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    19:40
    My System

I do a lot of research and am forever scrolling through docs and pages. I want to use the mouse wheel to auto scroll. By clicking on the wheel you get the up/down arrows and then by sightly moving the mouse up or down, it starts scrolling. However the scroll rate is too fast.

How can I regulate the speed? Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel tab does not give any options for this.

When I am scrolling html the rate is not too bad but I save a lot of notes etc to OneNote and scrolling in that is a lot faster.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

btw, the mouse is an MS Gateway 2000, about 15 years old and still going strong.
  2. Jelly Bean

Jelly Bean Local PC Noobie.... Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    01:40
    My System

Hello.Go into control panel and change mouse scroll from there.Mouse properties.
  3. lucianp

Local time:
    My System

Hello JellyBean,
    My Post:
    Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel tab does not give any options for this.
    Your reply:
    Hello.Go into control panel and change mouse scroll from there.Mouse properties.
    as I said from my original post, I don't have that option.
    On the Wheel tab, it says "Roll the wheel one notch to scroll".
    I then have one of two options.
    select a number of lines to scroll at a time
    one screen at a time.
    Options on other tabs allow for Double-click speed (Buttons tab) and Pointer speed (Pointer options tab)

Mouse movement and click rates are ok. I just want to get this scroll working. Also where it says "Roll the wheel one notch to scroll", if I touch the wheel after I have selected, it deselects. The only way that I get scroll movement is by moving the mouse slightly up or down.

thanks
  4. DIIRE

DIIRE Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    13:40
    My System

When you click the mouse wheel and it brings up the autoscroll where just moving the mouse scrolls through the page, the speed is controlled by how far away the mouse pointer is from the up/down arrows. The closer it is to the arrows the slower it scrolls. When you put the mouse pointer on the dot in the center is stops scrolling. Hope this helps.

As for just rolling the mouse wheel - try increasing the number of lines it scrolls at a time and see if this helps.
  5. lucianp

Local time:
    My System

The mouse does what it is supposed to do with html and scrolls at a decent readable pace which I can regulate with no problem.

When I try to do the same thing in Office 2003 - Word or OneNote it either moves too fast, even when just moving a tad from the arrows, or doesn't move at all.

Is there a registry setting for mouse movement when using Office?

thanks
  6. DIIRE

DIIRE Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    13:40
    My System

There are only registry settings to control the number lines the mouse scrolls - which is the same as whats in control panel mouse settings.

I tested scrolling in Word on my pc and it works the same way as when browsing the web for me. The further away you move it - the faster it scrolls.

Maybe if you slow down your pointer speed this may help to stop it scrolling so fast.
  7. lucianp

Local time:
    My System

It works ok on html but not with office 2003 apps. I'm sure that I have a problem with the office setup. I've used this same disk for a long time and I think that I've only experienced office problems since installing on my present pc.

I've uninstalled / reinstalled twice already and the problems that I have with word are still there. I'm not sure what to do.

When I reinstalled, I uninstalled, did a registry clean using cclean and Glary Registry Repair, removed old files etc. but still have the same problem.

I think the problem is not the mouse wheel at all but office setup.

I suppose the correct thing to do would be open a new thread regarding office reinstall.