Mouse and Keyboard stop working at times

Solved
  1. forester

forester New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    22:45
    My System

Why hello there,

I have two issues actually and I'm wondering if they are connected in some way. First off, my original issue was that once in a blue moon my mouse will suddenly stop working. Nothing will work in my usb ports actually. The mouse works fine on my laptop though. Also the device drivers are updated as well.

Secondly, just the other day my keyboard just suddenly stopped working. That's when I got real scared. I didn't have time to check if the keyboard worked on my laptop, but when I got home today and turned my computer on the keyboard was working fine.

I'm definitely a beginner/very little experience kind of guy with computers, but I'm starting to think my brief mouse issues in the past and the sudden issue with my keyboard are connected in some way.

This is a very difficult problem because both of these devices are working great right now so I can't really troubleshoot or mess around and see what fixes the problem. I would just like to put this problem of mine out there on the table for you guys cause I've heard very wonderful things about the people on this forum.

-Forester

P.S I didn't notice you had a hardware specific forum hehe. This thread might fit better in that section so if a mod could be so nice as to move it there I would be grateful. Or if it's fine here then, T'is all good :)
  2. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    01:45
    My System

Tracking this down will be fun. The source of the problem may have nothing to do with mouse, keyboard or even USB.

It could be a physical weakening of the USB port itself. These ports have a limited number of insertion/removal cycles that they can tolerate, normally counted in the tens of thousands - but you never know. Examine the port(s) with a device connected. Is there any looseness or excessive play?

Try this simple process which may or may not help. You can do it now even if the problem is not in effect. This process addresses the discharge of electrical energy held in capacitance.

• Turn off the PC
    • Disconnect the power cord from the back of the PC
    • Press the power button and release it
    • Wait at least 5 minutes
    • Press the power button and release it
    • Connect the power cord to the PC
    • Power on the PC

It is also possible that you are misinterpreting a different issue. If CPU usage spikes and holds at or near 100%, it can present the effect of a mouse or keyboard not responding.

It is also possible that you will find a clue in Event Viewer. You will need to be able to guesstimate the date/time that the condition presented and examine the reported events in that time frame. To make this easier, apply a filter (see images).

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. forester

Local time:
    My System

I did not know that. That might be something actually. You say it could make the mouse or keyboard appear to not respond, but when I've had this problem I've just been sitting at the desktop not doing anything so I don't think that's specifically the cause of my problem. Plus holding the CPU at 100% wouldn't make my USB port not work, right?

I will also try that process you wrote out in the beginning for discharging the energy held in capacitance. I'll try anything if I can prevent my mouse or keyboard from randomly not working when I need them.

I just took like 15min and looked through event finder... I didn't even know such a thing existed haha. I'm quite lost looking through all the errors and information listed in the Summary of Administrative Events section (that's where I should be looking right?). It's not like one of the errors is listed as "This was when your mouse didn't work." But now that I know how to get to the event finder I will pay close attention to the time and date when the problem will not doubtingly return.

Thank you for your help Antman. I've actually learned a few things from your response.
  4. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

You may have better luck with Event Viewer looking under System or Applications rather than Admin Events.

Because the mouse/keyboard failure may be coupled with a failure of all USB ports, one action that may resolve this is to uninstall all of the USB device hubs in Device Manager. Reboot. Windows will re-assign them.

Updating your chipset driver may help also, even if you already have the most current one installed. The chipset driver is a little different from other drivers.

Taking the family out to the park. Back soon.

An example of something benign causing 100% CPU peg - a large HOSTS file with the DNS Client service running. Offered for information only.
  5. forester

Local time:
    My System

Oh thanks Antman, I'll look in those sections specifically.

Okay I've found a few errors that might be something to look at. I'm not sure though if they are related to this problem.

This one below I just posted here cause it had USB in the path there so I thought that might be something, I'm not entirely sure though.

(The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe with process id 3016 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1271&PID_0204\00101001700000002099)

The next error below was interesting because it happened about 30min before another error in which an unexpected shutdown happened. I can't really remember but I recall shutting down my computer unexpectedly but I don't recall why. It might have been at the time when my mouse wasn't working... although I don't know what would make me shutdown my computer like that.

(A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.)

There was also one more error I was going to post, actually it was a group of errors. I found a group of errors that happened right after each other, which was unique in that sense so that might be worth looking at I don't know.

I hope someone can read this stuff cause I have no idea =).
  6. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

Windows Systernals Autoruns

This tool is rather handy and more useful that MSConfig. Using ONLY the Logon and WinLogon sections, you can disable Startup items selectively. You can use the other sections as well, but those are more advanced and should not be experimented with unless your goal is to become an experienced PC support technician. Experience is gained from breaking Windows, not from fixing them.

Most users do not need all of the items that Adobe loads. I disable all of those, like ARM.

Unless you are experiencing a particular problem with an unreachable network resource, don't worry about the Netman timeout. Timeouts happen. It is possible, for example, that you have the HomeGroup service enabled but are not part of a HomeGroup. That would create a condition where your PC is looking for a network resource but does not find it, so it stops looking after 30 seconds. This is a weak example but I think you can get your arms around it.

Now that you have seen the Event Viewer, let's clear the entries. This will make it easier to find an issue with the mouse/keyboard.

On the left hand side, highlight SYSTEM (like in the earlier image). On the menu bar, select Action, Clear Log. You will be prompted to save it. Your choice. I won't read it but someone else may want to. I would just Clear without a save.
  7. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

Now, since you have disabled some unused Startups and have a clear log, you can read the log later and look for errors. It is not the least bit uncommon to find errors and warnings. It takes A LOT of tweaking to get rid of everything Windows thinks you might want to do.

Every version of Windows - Vista/7 Home Premium, Ultimate, Windows 98, Windows ME, XP, Windows 3 - was distributed and configured out of the box for use in a networked business environment. Don't let the marketing labels fool you.

Windows defaults to a 'one size fits all' configuration. There are many services that load that you will never use. Windows is 'smart enough' to check if you are using a feature - if you are not, an error code is generated.

I had to say all of that so that you do not assign more importance to events reported in Event Viewer than is warranted.
  8. forester

Local time:
    My System

Alright, I've done everything you've said. Thanks for the rather speedy responses by the way. I don't usually expect that with help forums...

Oh and thank you for explaining the events in events viewer with a little more detail. I was thinking a little too much about all those errors and warnings I happened to see.
  9. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

We really haven't tested your reported problem though.

If you removed/re-installed the USB hubs in Device Manager, that may 'fix' the issue.

I suppose only time will tell.

Regarding the speedy responses - The boss is not online today, so we are working a bit more slowly than usual. Please, do not tell her.
    ;)
  10. forester

Local time:
    My System

If it might have a chance to prevent the mouse problem from happening again then I will remove/re-install the USB hubs. Couldn't hurt.

But doing this might only solve my mouse problem right? What about that odd keyboard problem?
  11. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

I did not re-read this thread.

If the keyboard is USB, the process will address both devices - mouse and keyboard. That is, if it addresses one, it will address both.

If the keyboard is PS/2 - DO NOT (repeat this, DO NOT) remove or attach it while the PC is powered on.

It is not uncommon for a PS/2 device to encounter a problem related to electrical ground. If the PS/2 port on the PC is not damaged, and the PS/2 connector on the keyboard (or mouse) is not damaged, a simple removal and re-attachment will reconnect the ground. There is a thin metal blade on the PS/2 port that grounds the connection. This connection is easily disrupted under some circumstances.
  12. forester

Local time:
    My System

I don't know what PS/2 is, but my keyboard just plugs into the back of the computer. Not in a USB.

Okay I might have unplugged the keyboard once when the power was on when the problem first happened a few days ago. It is working fine now. Hopefully I didn't damage anything :-\
  13. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

Your keyboard is PS/2. You did not damage anything - the damage is, often, a dead computer. Just be careful with that plug.

USB 2.0 and earlier is rather dependent on the CPU. The PS/2 keyboard, not so much. A spiked CPU can 'freeze' the mouse while the keyboard remains unaffected. Because the keyboard issue occurred only one time, it is reasonable to ignore it in this exercise.
  14. forester

Local time:
    My System

Okay I got some news. I haven't been on my computer in a few days and when I turned it on this morning... BAM, mouse no work.

I then shut down my computer and did that process you mentioned earlier in the thread about unplugging the power cord... waiting 5 min etc. Well I did that and came back 5min later and the mouse came back on.

Also I didn't uninstall all my USB Root Hubs before this. Now that my mouse came back though after doing the process mentioned above I did uninstall the first like 4 USB Root Hubs. I uninstalled that many then of course my mouse didn't work and I'm not great at navigating without a mouse so I stopped there and did not finish uninstalling the rest of the hubs. If you think I need too please say so. Anyways, everything is fine now so let me take a look at the event viewer.

I'm looking under Window logs<System and Window logs<Application and I've found only a few errors at the time my mouse stopped. Here they are.

The First two below were in the system category and I'm pretty sure I've seen them before, throughout my errors in the past.. rather common errors.

The third error was from the application category and I haven't seen it before but it looks like it has something to do with the event viewer maybe? That's odd... I did try to view the event viewer when my mouse turned off but like I said I'm not very good at navigating without a mouse so I might have made that mistake myself.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    RtlProt

Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

So I just wanted to give an update as the problem came back, but again as of now it is fine. Even though I might learn more about my keyboard problem if it comes back, I really don't my keyboard to stop working again. That was pretty bad.

Hope this information means something or is readable. Need anything more just say.
  15. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

Interesting.

Now i need to know if you have a wireless network card, either added on or built in. Often, built in wifi cards use an internal USB port.

PCHF Guide - Provide System Specs

I also need to see your Device Manager. Open it, don't change it in any way. Take a screenshot and post it here.

PCHF Guide - Posting a scrrenshot.

While you are doing that, I am reading about ...Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem...