moderate infection

1. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    05:14
    My System

I assume you did fix what MBAM found ?

========================================

WARNING these fixes are designed for this user only and may cause damage if run on any other machine.

Please copy this page to *Notepad* and save to your desktop for reference as you will not have any browsers open while you are carrying out portions of these instructions.
    It's IMPORTANT to carry out the instructions in the sequence listed below.
    1. Close any open browsers.
    2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    Open *notepad* and copy/paste the the text in the quotebox below into it:
    Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe which is on the Desktop.

[​IMG]
    Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt
    Please copy and paste the ComboFix.txt in your next reply please.

*Note:
    Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.Altering this script in any way could damage your computer*
  2. meemoe_uk

meemoe_uk Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    20:14
    My System

Ok, done. Here's the combofix report. And yes, I got MBAM to clean the infections it detected.
  3. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

Ok.All done.I see no more malware.Log looks good! All those detections are either in quarantine or system restore, both of which we'll be cleaning out in just a minute. Congratulations, well done.

Go to :
    Start > Run then copy and paste the following highlighted (blue) text below into the box and click OK.

ComboFix /uninstall

Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer. OTC is a small program that removes all the leftover tools and logs from cleanup of malware.

Please download OTC to your desktop.

Double-click OTC to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTC and select "Run as an Administrator")
    Click on the CleanUp! button and follow the prompts.
    You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process, choose Yes.
    After the reboot all the tools we used should be gone.
    Note: Some more recently created tools may not yet be removed by OTC. Feel free to manually delete any tools it leaves behind.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for malware infection in the future; I strongly suggest that you read them and take them to heart so that you don't have to endure the process of cleaning your computer again.
    Afterwork
    Malware Prevention
    How Did I Get Infected
    More Tips on Prevention

=============================
  4. meemoe_uk

Local time:
    My System

OK, I've completed the above instructions.
    When I was going thru the afterwork I found to my dismay my firewall was switched off, probably for months, this might be why I was so prone to infection - I've had 2 infestations in 2 months.

I'm pretty sure another thing that got me in a mess was a 'fake update', a little yellow shield in the bottom right. It's still there, asking to be installed. How do I tell if it's safe?

3rd, the problem I had with Adobe Reader has ceased, so good.
  5. Pancake

Local time:
    My System

The yellow shield is ok.Let it update and also do the same with Adobe if needed.
  6. meemoe_uk

Local time:
    My System

I upgraded to adobe reader 10. When I used the reader a message saying something like " trusted identities associated with adobe reader want to make changes to your computer, will you allow this ? " , and I flippantly clicked ok. In retrospect, it felt like an odd message. Now adobe is acting up again. When I tried to upgrade my adobe flash player it said it couldn't because adobe flash was in use. But it wasn't! This is what it was doing before while infected.

Don't know if you deal with minor niggles like this. I will look to see if adobe address this problem on their website.
  7. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    15:14
    My System

I don't think the two messages are related.

Did you perhaps have another tab open when updating? Do you continually get the in use error?
  8. JMH

JMH Guest

Local time:
    08:14
    My System

Re Adobe Reader & Flash Player...
    Suggest you uninstall both.
    Reboot.
    Install them both again.

FYI re Flash...
    Make sure you have no windows open as you uninstall the old version of Flash.
    Exit all applications:
    Check the task bar and the system tray to make sure no user applications are running.
    For example, if you see icons for browsers or instant messaging (IM) clients such as AOL Instant Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger, right-click the icon and select either Close or Exit.
  9. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    14:14
    My System

Hello Meemoo :)

Do you still desire/require assistance with your Adobe issue? An update would be appreciated!

Marked as PENDING until you return