Laptop won't connect to TV via HDMI

1. MasterRS

MasterRS Member Silver Member

Local time:
    20:35
    My System

Just got my toshiba laptop back from insurance and I ordered a new HDMI cable..before it went off it worked with a friends HDMI cable fine..tried it now and all I get is a 'no video avaible' message. I have a Alba TV and my laptop is toshiba satellite..tried pressing FN and F5 but it doesnt do anything..also tried windows mobility...still nothing..
  2. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    14:35
    My System

Welcome back, MasterRS :)

I've got zero experience connecting laptops to HDMI TVs, so I'll get your issue marked as OPEN to attract the attention of the experts that frequent PCHF.

It would be most helpful if you could complete your [​IMG] portion of the User Profile (instructions also available in the PINK link below). That would put your system's information in the small computer icon just right of your name. Be sure to note if this is a desktop or laptop system. The System Specs information will "travel with you" at PCHF so we don't have to ask for it again. Be sure to mark them to be visible. The default is NOT to show them.

Please know that our Community of Volunteers come from locations around the world so time zones play a big part in how quickly the person with the answer is available to address your question. Your patience is appreciated!
  3. abhi.ko

abhi.ko Active Member Tech Member Gold Member

Local time:
    My System

On which screen do you get the message that no video is available, TV or Laptop! What is the status of the other screen when that happens?

After posting your system specs, I would hook up the laptop to the TV again and press FN and F5 (is the that the key which you always used to switch displays?) till the laptop screen is showing. The right click on the desktop and go to screen resolution - display and see if it is showing both the displays, better if you can take a screen shot of the same and post that!
  4. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    21:35
    My System

MasterRS, does it still work with your friend's cable?

If I remember correctly, cable length is crucial, as signal loss due to attenuation can occur.

Read more here HDMI Cable Overview -- Blue Jeans Cable
  5. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

I havent tried my friends cable but will. I did google this matter and tried windows mobility centre adjustements, pressing F5 and FN did nothing,
    All I get is no response from the laptop when connected..and I only have 1 HDMI port in my TV which comes with a black screen saying 'No Video Available'..
  6. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

hi tried using my friends hdmi cable..had no response again same problem!
  7. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

Hi to update on this issue..I still have this problem. After numerous google searches..I tried re-installing the intel chips..updating drivers..nothing has worked.
    Since this thread was created an insurance company and PC repair company they use called 'Mercom' restored the laptop to windows 7 home premium..however the laptop has a hdmi port..but it doesnt even regester the hdmi is in when its in the pc..theres no way its a faulty hdmi lead either as works fine on my hp laptop..so if anyone can help me fix this be fantastic..or give me some clue to..my laptop is a toshiba satellite l650-12q running on windows 7 home premium 64 bit..i5 processor..intel hd graphics card..and i think my computer spec otherwise can be found on the forum in spec details
  8. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

It doesnt show another monitor/display when connected..and when i press fn and f5 it just says LCD..no other option..also going into display options and pressing windows logo..and p..it comes up with all options but none for hDMI..i also got toshiba hdmi manager..no luck..
  9. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

bump plz help!!
  10. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    My System

MasterRS,

I believe you need to complain again to the Insurance company. It's up to them to resolve this for you. They have not completely repaired your system.
  11. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

I did..they told me they won't cover it..:(
  12. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    My System

But if it was working and failed..... I'm sorry, but I don't undertand how they can selectively repair your system.

This is an insurance claim, so either the HDMI was working when they first received the system OR it failed as part of whatever happened that caused your claim. Either way, they should liable.
  13. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

Basically i've complained to the financial omnbudsmen who regulate them..so they shud be fixing it..but they won't right now
  14. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    My System

Perhaps if we knew more about why your laptop had to be repaired by insurance, we might get further in our troubleshooting.
  15. MasterRS

Local time:
    My System

Basically the laptop was dropped and the top left hand side of the laptop was coming loose and also the laptop was overheating. It had alot of work done in but never came back the same..now for some reason it's very particular when it'll connect to internet networks..and since returning also had this HDMI problem..apart from this cosmetically and physically it's fine and been repaired now..