Laptop Screen Goes Black For No Reason

Solved
  1. Devil Dance

Devil Dance New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    04:43
    My System

Hello,

So quite recently I had to get a new hard drive since my laptop had the dreaded BSOD and simply would no longer work due to some hard drive corruption.

I got a new hard drive (my old one was 500 GB, this one is only 300 GB) about a week ago and my dad helped me fix my laptop. (Basically just putting the new hard drive in and re-installing Windows 7) It worked fine for the first day or so and then it started to get this black screen randomly. Usually it would become very laggy and then just turn black and it wouldn't have any sounds or anything. The only thing I could do was unplug the power and take out the battery then restart my laptop.

I thought it was an issue with perhaps something I had installed (although I have been using my programs before the new hard drive and they are from trusted sources). So I tried uninstalling them/not using them and it still gets this black screen.

Since it's rather frustrating when I am doing work for it to randomly restart, I'd appreciate any help to remove this problem, especially since I don't want anything to happen to my laptop again.

Thanks!

Specs:

Running OS: Windows 7
    System Manufactor: Acer
    System Model: Acer Aspire 7535-5415
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor: AMD Turion X2 Ultra Technology ZM-84 (2.3 GHz)
    RAM: 4.00 GB (3.75 usable)
    Security System: Norton Internet Security
  2. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:43
    My System

Hi Devil Dance,

Welcome to PC Help Forum :) I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I have marked your thread as open to as so you can receive technical support from our Tech team and talented forum members,someone will be with you as soon as they can.

Regards,

Airman24.
  3. nameisuser

nameisuser Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

Despite the fact that you may think I'm crazy:

WIN + X key combo | in the Battery Status section, choose Power Saver | in the Brightness section, click on the Brightness icon | slide the Adjust plan brightness slider to the lowest value with which you are comfortable | Save changes button.

Next step:
    100 % uninstall NORTON.

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and the only Anti-virus I use and recommend. This AV does not interfere, does not slow a computer down.

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials

If when all is said and done and you have a working system, then you may reinstall Norton if you so desire. For the time-being, we need a system that does not cause complications.

================
    In the meantime---

Never set a laptop on your lap!

Let that laptop breathe!

Don't set the laptop on anything that will block any of the vents on bottom or sides.

You may not be guilty of any of these sins. If so, then ignore my good advice.

You can install and run CoreTemp to watch your cpu temps rise when you block the vents. I am presently using my laptop. I use CoreTemp to keep an eye on temps and to see the effects of various blockages and hardware intensive programs.

Alcpu - CoreTemp
  4. Devil Dance

Devil Dance New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    04:43
    My System

Hey,

(Sorry I'm so late to replying, I've been crazy busy this week.)
    Thank you so much for helping me out!

Since then my laptop is fine, it hasn't shut off to the random black screen in several days. I think it definitely has to do with the heat since several days ago it was nearly around 22 C (so about 75 F or so) and I guess my laptop couldn't take it.

Appreciate your laptop tips (which I will try to follow, I'm not sure if letting my laptop sit on a desk is considered blocking the vents, but now I have it slightly angled to allow the vents to be free in the air) and thank you nameisuser for the help!
    Airman24 and JMH like this.
  5. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:43
    My System

Hi Devil Dance,

I am delighted to see that your issue has been resolved,I will now mark your thread as solved and hope to see you next time..:)

Regards,

Airman24

This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.