Java - Not working at all (2)

1. hrdubwd

hrdubwd New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    01:24
    My System

Somewhere along the line, Java stopped working (I noticed first for 6u28 or thereabouts) - Firefox and IE8. Control panel would not run. Updating successively, uninstalling, reinstalling had no effect. Cleaning the registry had no effect. Have now been very thorough: all files were removed, environment references deleted, registry stripped of all mention: cleaned, checked and rechecked. Clean install of 7u3 (error-free), still no joy - and no control panel entry either.

CMD: java -version returns the correct info.
    javaws -viewer does nothing (it starts to run but goes nowhere: it appears to hand-off to javaw.exe, then this to jqs.exe, but after this makes a call to zip.dll there is nothing further obvious).

So, run javacpl.cpl in system32 as Administrator:
    "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    Actually, Services only shows Java Quick Starter, and that is running. (There are no dependencies in either direction.)

1 How do I diagnose this? (Using ProcMon gives no clue)
    2 Are there any services or settings expected that I might have disabled (inadvertently)?
    3 Are there any folders, environmental variables, files that I should check are present and correct?

There is an assumption somewhere, something simple broken. How to find it?

Otherwise, all advice seems to centre on reinstallation or using the control panel! I have been at this for months, with numerous web searches producing nothing useful. To say this is frustrating is an understatement.

This is on XPpro sp3, fully up to date.

Thanks,

BWD

2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    20:24
    My System

Hello hrdubwd and welcome to the PCHF..

I am going to open your thread for more input from those who are versed with Java.

3. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

We don't seem to have made much progress here ... what to do?

BWD

4. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    20:24
    My System

Sorry,i have PM'd for more help..

5. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    21:24
    My System

I know you said you were pretty thorough but this is worth a chance.

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it.

• Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    • Accept any prompts.
    • Do NOT post JavaRa log.
    Get a fresh copy of java here.
    java.com: Java + You

vger likes this.
  6. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

Well, thank you. That is progress. It led me to 6u31, but

Verify Java Version

says OK, and

Java Tester - What Version of Java Are You Running?

now works and shows the version properly (neither of which did before).

Unfortunately:

How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?

fails to show anything, despite appearing to load (the loading "clock" runs), and the cpl does not open from Control Panel - it is at least present now, nor from the system tray icon (neither does the console, despite the menu now saying "Hide ... console" after trying to open it! Minimizing all other windows does not reveal it.).

All this in FF. I shall have to try IE, but later - it is too late now here.

Strangely, FF add-ons still shows 7u3, so maybe I have to try the clean up again?

So, progress, as I say, but there is clearly still something missing. I'll try it all again later, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BWD

7. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    My System

8. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

After a reboot, nothing Java-ish was working.
    I found that 7u3 had not been removed by JavaRa, but would not then uninstall - endless loop "do you want to ..." (6u31, installed as noted above, uninstalled properly). I had to resort to manual cleaning again, registry and files. However, FF still shows the Java Deployment Toolkit 6u31, even after another reboot! Registry is apparently clean and error-free.

Even so, Verify Java Version still says:

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!
    You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 31).

There is something hiding somewhere, although
    Java Tester - What Version of Java Are You Running?
    says "Java Disabled"!

This is just so messy. But JavaRa now runs clean - nothing at all to report.

It will be a few days before I can spend any more time on this (and the other suggestions), but the key question now seems to be how do I get it and all traces out of Firefox (other than uninstalling etc)? There has to be a way for that.

Thanks,

BWD

9. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    My System

Does java work with google chrome?
    https://www.google.com/chrome
    Other than uninstallng firefox and reinstalling,I am not sure of any other method.

10. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

Well, FF uninstalled, all remnants removed - files and registry, cleaned up Java yet again in all respects. Reinstalled FF, java 6u31. No joy.
    If FF: Java Tester - What Version of Java Are You Running? >> white box, no complaint.
    How do I test whether Java is working on my computer? >>> white box, although it appeared to load, but no complaint.
    In IE8: the first is fine - correct report, the second blank as in FF.

For comparison, Testing, please wait... complained about javascript not being enabled before 6u13 was installed, now it does not and reports all details in FF (OK in IE as well).

I now have three java icons in the system tray, none will open console or control panel.
    In Settings | Control Panel, there is the java icon, and while something starts to run when clicked (hourglass cursor, disk activity), no CP opens.

Now I will try the Services reset suggested earlier. Back soon ...

11. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

After reboot:
    In FF: the addons for console and qucikstarter were installed apparently successfully.
    Now, Java Tester works ONCE in FF: ^F5 gets a white box.
    The Java.com site again loads, but no confirmation or complaint - just a white space.
    Clearing the cache has no effect.

In IE: Java Tester is fine, even on reload, but Java.com loads to the white box as before.
    Clearing the cache has no effect.

Still no cpl or console from anywhere (although for console the switch between hide and show occurs).

What it seems to come down to is that there is something interfering with the *display* of java content. After some window and tab swicthes, the java.com test panel does not load at all - the space is just not there in FF. In IE, the window does not redraw, and the previous tab shows through (whatever it was - including this, the Alt-Tab icon panel, task manager ... just the previous screen's contents). So what affects this? I think this is a significant clue.

Perhaps I'll update the video drivers.

12. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

BTW: I do not have Google Chrome.

13. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

Video drivers updated: No effect (after reboot).

FF: Java Tester works, ONCE, on refresh it fails. Java.com fails always, white box.
    IE: Java tester works, even on refresh. Java.com fails, always.

But if I switch away from java.com in either browser and return, that portion of the screen does not redraw (just shows previous screen content) - important clue?

Killing the java.exe process and reloading any window gets the same results.

But, I have now found that if I kill all java.exe, Java tester works in both IE and FF without problems, refreshing properly multiple times, switching back and forth.

Console and CPL do not work under any of the above circs., and also CPL does not work even if all java.exe killed.

Ah! Within browsers, if java.com has failed, java tester fails. Killing all java.exe allows java tester to work properly. Thus, whatever java.com does, it interferes with all subsequent attempts to run java tester. This interference may have confused some observations, since I reload both each time, but I can get back to a clean start for testing by the killings.

Certainly, FF does not close down cleanly (window closes, but does not unload) when a java. com has failed. On closing IE, its java.exe from either webpage also closes.

No more ideas.

BWD

14. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System

15. hrdubwd

Local time:
    My System