IP Address Change to Speed up your connection...?

1. GrayHat

GrayHat New Member

Local time:
    10:23
    My System

Alright my friend is having trouble of keeping a fast connection on his wireless network. His mom was talking to someone at circuit city and they said something about reseting/changing the IP address. May help his connection.

Does this ring a bell to someone, sorta like, "OH, what he means is..."
  2. GaRHaR

GaRHaR Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    23:23
    My System

HI GrayHat, welcome to the PCHF.

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it won't work.

He's talking about renewing the IP address on the LAN - which won't effect much.

I'm not big on wireless LAN, but I do know networking inside and out...the IP address will not speed up/slow down a connection.
  3. BradD84

BradD84 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    08:23
    My System

I suggest keeping it wired until it is no longer an option. Although I know running a wire from the top of a house to the bottom might be a problem, it can be done where as keeping the signal strength (as far as I know) as high as possible cannot be changed. That is what I think may be the problem described, a lack in signal strength. Although I know nothing about the other variables in this senario. Many other things may effect the possible achieved bandwidth, the ISP (internet service providers) plays a large, if not the largest role in this part. At times some the number of users using there internet connection is much higher then others, and that may have an effect on your bandwidth. That is the reason why they do not guarantee bandwidth levels, such as 8 mbps downoad and 768 mbps upload. Another issue is that it is likely that the internet connection is being shared, and with that a portion of your bandwidth is being shared as well. It could also be that he or she may not have the perfect PC environment and that may also be effecting the connection. What I recommend doing is trying to bring the computer to the source of your internet connect, remove all other devices from the network and see if the problem still exists. If it does then that means that it is either your ISP, or your computer that is causing the problem, if the problem no longer exists then it is likely some how a problem caused by signal strength. Good luck!