Internet connection with multiple ip addresses

1. donnieb

donnieb New Member

Local time:
    00:17
    My System

Hi everyone,

I am setting up a company and need the following:

An internet connection of minimum 64k ish with its own ip address (doesn't matter if it's static). Simple right? I however need 10+ of these under one roof. What is the best way to go about it?

1) Is there a way to break up a broadband connection and have seperate ip addresses?
    If not, 2) will i need to install 10+ phone lines for every dial-ip modem/isdn connection?

3)Is there another route that I am missing out altogether?

4) In an internet cafe, what ip addresses do each of the systems have? Are they the same, are they in the same region, are they different? 5) Is there a way to show no ip address. Not a proxy or anything, rather if one was to use a router or something ip address of 0.0.0.0 would come up?

Any help will be much much much appreciated.

Thank you.

DB
  2. ladygreenwitch

ladygreenwitch New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    16:17
    My System

:D Hi DonnieB,

Welcome to PCHF. We have a terrific team of techs here, and one or two of us have a bit of Network experience as well. I think we can help you make the decision that will work best for you.

First of all, are you setting up 10 PCs or just 10+ connections?

Are you planning for your system to be wireless?

Do you want the PCs to communicate with each other, or are they simply accessing the internet independantly?

While you are coming up with the answers to my questions, I will send a note out to the Networking Gurus, and your answers will help them to help you.

Looking forward to your reply,

TTFN

LGW
  3. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

1) Is there a way to break up a broadband connection and have seperate ip addresses?

No, although if you can afford it and you find the right ISP, then you may be able to buy 10 static IP addresses...expensive tho'and probably pointless in your case...

If not, 2) will i need to install 10+ phone lines for every dial-ip modem/isdn connection?

I don't quite understand what you are hoping to achieve but you won't seperate out the connection outside the building/network, you need to seperate it out inside the building/network

4) In an internet cafe, what ip addresses do each of the systems have? Are they the same, are they in the same region, are they different?

Depends how you decide to set it up but yes, all of the PCs will have a seperate IP address within the LAN "range" allocated.

5) Is there a way to show no ip address. Not a proxy or anything, rather if one was to use a router or something ip address of 0.0.0.0 would come up?

Show the address where? To whom?
  4. Spaceman3750

Spaceman3750 New Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    17:17
    My System

5) The only way to hide the IP address of your network would be to route it through a proxy...
  5. donnieb

donnieb New Member

Local time:
    My System

Ladygreen

Thank you all for your help.

Ladygreen,

I would actually prefer if the ip addresses were dynamic.

1) I am setting up 10pcs and would like each pc to be assigned a unique ip address randomly on connection or a static ip address (does not include ip addresses that are different but within the same lan range). The only solution I have thought of is each pc has its own 56k/64k connection and upon connection they will be assigned a random ip address by the isp. I would very much prefer as it would work out cheaper if I was somehow able to assign a unique ip address to each PC using one broadband connection. I know this can be done but the problem is the ip addresses will be in the same range. I need them to be random.

2)I do not need the system to be wireless.

3) I would like the computers to communicate with each other (basically I would like to be able to control them with one PC, i.e a network) but would like them to access the net independantly. I would like them to communicate with each other or have a network setup only IF it is done anonymously. I do not want anyone outside my company to know our computers are networked e.g. when we visit a site, utilise an online application etc.

Thank you and I hope you can help.

DB

6. donnieb

donnieb New Member

Local time:
    My System

bump . . Is there anyone I can contact if I don't get an answer here??
  7. ladygreenwitch

ladygreenwitch New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    16:17
    My System

:) Hey Donnie,

Sorry about the delay, we have one guy inparticular who is a complete wiz with networks, unfortunately, he is ill, and we don't currently have a time frame for when he will be back.

Have you contacted your local broadband company? I know out here in California, Comcast is REALLY keen on helping set up systems, and are always looking to help small businesses. Perhaps they could give you the possible scenarios.

Also, it may be helpful in the troubleshooting arena, if you were to layout exactly what you are trying to accomplish, sometimes people get caught up in their original idea, and don't see the easier answer without a different perspective on the problem.

Looking forward to your reply,

TTFN

LGW