Installed Intel drivers; computer now freezes randomly

1. Nantes

Nantes New Member

Local time:
    12:39
    My System

Hi folks,

About a month ago I had the geeenius idea of updating some drivers for my processor, via my motherboard manufacturer's page: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_DELUXE/#support_Download_30
    I download "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.3.0.1019 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)" under "Chipset" category and installed it. To save time on restarting, I subsequently installed my GTX 560's new drivers did a Windows Update, and uninstalled the old antivirus that was bugging me, so that I only had to restart once and not 4 times (veeeery smart, I now realize).
    Upon hitting Windows again I was confronted with two new error messages, in a free translation from Portuguese: "System error - nvxsync.exe: The program could not be started because OpenLDAP.dll is missing on your system. Try reinstalling it to solve this issue" and "WinLicense: cannot find 'curllib.dll', please reinstall this application", which a quick Google search revealed to be Nvidia errors. Since then my computer has been freezing randomly. The mouse cursor will either slow down to a crawl or freeze completely. If music is playing, it will generally start to loop the last couple seconds indefinitely. It seems to occur most often when I browse the internet, especially when scrolling webpages (in which case it is usually able to recover from the hang-up after a few seconds, but not always). Also, sometimes when I go out and leave the computer on and come back home, the LCD screen will be black with its 'on/off' light flashing, which normally happens when the monitor is receiving no input (such as when the computer is off). I then have to restart the computer to fix it.
    The motherboard's onboard LED display, which should display error codes to help diagnose issues, does not change it's code when the system freezes.
    There are days when the computer does not freeze and days when it freezes many times. The two error messages still appear every time I turn it on.

Things I have tried:
    - Downgrading to the 9.2 version of the drivers, rather than the 9.3 which is the latest on ASUS' website.
    - Updating the motherboard's BIOS, which would purpotedly "increase system stability". It didn't.
    - Undoing the previous overclock of 4500 MHz down to the processor's default of 3300 MHz, even using the "energy saver" option. It has been on default ever since.
    - Reinstalling the Nvidia drivers.
    - Pausing the Folding@Home software, which keeps the processor cores running at 100% all the time. It didn't seem to decrease the freeze chance.
    - Cleaning dust off the heatsink (I knew it wouldn't help because CoreTemp does not accuse overheating, but hey, I'm out of ideas).

I might have tried a couple more things, but that I don't remember right now.

I know the problem is processor-based because it's pretty much the same that happened when I was configuring my overclock last year and went above 4500 MHz, which seems to be the maximum stable config for my rig. Only now it happens without the overclock.

My system:
    - ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard
    - Intel Core i5 2500k processor
    - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink
    - Nvidia GTX 560 graphics card
    - Windows 7 64-bit OS
    - An excellent Corsair 500W PSU
    - Waterfox browser (64-bit variant of Firefox)

I'll give a virtual (triple chocolate) cookie to whoever can help.

Thank you.
  2. Nantes

Nantes New Member

Local time:
    My System

I forgot to mention I also did a System Restore to before I uninstalled the antivirus (since I did everything at once, I assume it also reverted the Nvidia driver, Intel driver and Windows Update). It was actually the first thing I tried. It did not work!
  3. Nantes

Nantes New Member

Local time:
    My System

C'mon guys, ideas? I'm starting to get really stressed with my computer randomly freezing multiple times a day.