I have to much VRAM

1. MortenHauge

MortenHauge Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    00:35
    My System

So i just got my new Dell XPS17, and its running quite good on games like A.V.A, and suches, but it SUCKS at for example Starcraft 2, the reason for this is that my Grapich card is a Nvidia GeForce GT555M 3GB, and its just too much...

When configuring graphic settings, i look at: Texture Quality and i'm seeing that the needed VRAM for "Low" is 256mb and for "Ultra" is 1024mb or something, still it doesnt detect my VRAM and suggests low, forcing me to not being able of running the game even at "Low" because currently the game thinks i have 0 VRAM...

Also i dont know how to clock up my processor (IntelCore i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0-2.9 Ghz) To the full speed of 2.9 GhZ, it sometimes stays at around 1.7 Ghz while gaming which is not taking it to the full potential that i need while gaming, how do i switch this.

NOTE: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    17:35
    My System

Hello MortenHauge and welcome to the PCHF..

Most laptops are not very good at gaming,maybe for the exception of some Alienware laptops..

3. MortenHauge

Local time:
    My System

Duuh. What a rusty argument, its a GOOD pc, with a neat processor fully capable of gaming games up to BF3. The only problem is i dont know how to configure turbo boost, and it shows the wrong number of VRAM i have so that games start lagging when they think i have 0 MEGABYTE of VRAM!

Dont post a reply if its for no good.

4. Kedar

Kedar Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    03:05
    My System

Gaming doesn't make use of the processor much, hence the low speeds. Believe me, it is not affecting your games.

And too much VRAM cannot be a problem. It is most likely a driver bug.

Download GPU-Z from my signature and upload a screenshot.

5. MortenHauge

Local time:
    My System

For newer games the processor matters a lot.

And yes too much VRAM is the problem here man, its because it doesnt manage to properly allocate my ram so it will end up giving me negative number thusly thinking i dont have any VRAM, making me lag.

6. Kedar

Local time:
    My System

And what do you have to support this? Any technical documentation? Or a hunch?

vger and DCiAdmin like this.
  7. qwan456

qwan456 New Member Tech Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    16:35
    My System

I'd randomly went on this site, saw this post, and decided to post. So, hi PCHF. I'm new here. xD

Well, if you are comparing it to a desktop, then you are correct. A gaming desktop will be superior to a gaming laptop at the same price point. However, if the specs allows it, they can be very capable in running games in a comfortable playing environment. The GT555m shouldn't have any trouble with SCII (unless he is planning on maxing it out on 1080p).

There are still some other viable gaming options for laptops other than AW. The Asus G-Series, MSI GT/GX, and Clevos (they use to be the ODM for Alienware sometime before Dell bought them (AW)). The only laptop AW has to offer that doesn't have a competition yet is the m18x with its CFX6990m; although, the Clevo P180HM could potentially have this option if it upgrade it's power supply.

Of course, this is entirely irrelevant issue for the TS - seeing how he already bought his Dell XPS 17.

Your Intel processor will dynamically overclocked itself when it is needed depending on the application you are running. For example, if you are running a single thread application, it will turbo boost between 2.0GHz~2.9GHz on that i7-2630QM you have. On application that utilized 3-4 cores, it will TB between 2.0GHz~2.6GHz.

Either way, that Sandybridge i7 is a very capable processor, and you should not worry about it bottlenecking your GPU.

Anyways, your issue seem quite odd, and I personally never encounter this issue, nor did the people I talked who had the same laptop that you have. My first assumption is a driver issue like Kedar originally said, which I would suggest attempting updating the drivers and see how that goes. Or else, post what Kedar asked for. My second assumption may be the configuration of the BIOS.

vger likes this.
  8. MortenHauge

Local time:
    My System

I've updated my Nvidia GeForce GT555M Driver, and the problem still occurs, what other drivers do i need to update?7

Before i bought the laptop i searched around on what VRAM was used for, and found an article about a guy that told me he had too much, but he had 4GB or something saying that his game went up showing negative VRAM values, making him lag, he had to run the game via steam using special launch options for the game to not encounter the error.

This is because SCII sometimes have problems allocating over 2GB of VRAM, i can't even play the game with medium settings now, and it is FULLY capable of doing so.

9. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

I did some looking and it seems that it's not the drivers, but the game. There were several games that I found that had patches for it, one I found where a player hacked the exe to fix it, and one that was fixed by going in to the settings.ini, but not anything for SC2 yet. I tried searching in SC2s forum about it, but there seems to be a problem with the forum right now.

10. Kedar

Local time:
    My System

I'm sure you can link to it so that all of us will get to know more about it.

11. MortenHauge

Local time:
    My System

I couldn't seem to find the original post, that was about DragonsAge i think, but heres another one, not too unlike.

My GTX 580 3GB has TOO much VRAM - NVIDIA Forums

12. Kedar

Local time:
    My System

Alright, now I understand the technical aspect. Poor coding from the game devs.

Have you tried patching the game? Or editing the files as suggested in that thread?

13. MortenHauge

Local time:
    My System

The game is patched to date, and all drivers are too.

But when it comes to editing files, i am totally green, i have no idea what to do.

14. Kedar

Local time:
    My System

You'll have to do some research on that. The threads that you may have gone through could have had solutions to the problem.

15. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Editing a settings.ini file isn't hard, if that's what you need to do. You just have to open it in notepad and find the setting you need to change. If you have to hack an exe though, that's a different story. I looked through about 20 pages worth of forum links at SC2's forum, but didn't see anything even remotely related to your problem. There's not a whole lot of video cards out there right now with more than 2GB of ram though so it may not have even come up with that game yet. You might try posting in their forum or contacting their support and seeing what they say.