HP Pavillion A000-Desktop

1. DCMerkle

DCMerkle Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    01:51
    My System

Hello,

It's me again. Now that my laptop is pretty much under control, I can get back to working on the desktop. I know it's an oldie, but it's still serviceable for what I use it for.

I'm getting the message that my disk space is low. I went in and did what was suggest to free up the space, but it seems not to be working. My son suggested that I just flatten the whole thing and re-install everything. I really don't care about what I will be losing, so it seems that may be my best bet. The only disk that I have is the Windows XP OS. Anything that I would need for the HP end of things I don't have, but I did find this on the HP website. HP Support & Drivers If you put in the product number, A000 it brings up a page that asks you what the OS is. Once that is done it brings up all the drivers and whatnot that I would need to reinstall.

Am I on the right track here? With what the HP download page lists, would that be what I would need to re-install all the HP info?

How will I know that my system is totally wiped of memory?

After I have flattened my system what should I re-install first? The OS or the HP info.

This is all a learning experience for me. I'll do whatever it takes to get this system just running at a basic purr. I'm not into breaking down hardware and if I don't fry myself, then I'd be satisfied.

DCMerkle

2. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    21:51
    My System

You are on exactly the right track, with only a nudge or two required to stay there.

Install XP. Here is a step-by-step with pictures. You will be provided an opportunity to "flatten" your hard drive during this process.

Afterward, install the HP stuff. You are well advised to have the HP network driver already prepared and available on CD, floppy or USB stick. XP may or may not already have a driver for that.

You could also have ALL of the HP stuff on the same CD or USB stick. But as long as you have the network driver, you can get it online AFTER installing XP.

You COULD prepare an XP Install CD that has all of the HP stuff incorporated, but that may be more work than you are comfortable with.

And be careful Before long, you will transform into a geek and start lurking around this forum looking for other people's problems to solve.

3. DCMerkle

DCMerkle Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    01:51
    My System

Antman,

Me? A geek? That's as funny as saying that I could be a surgeon because I know how to carve a roast...lol

My son is going to burn the CD for me, but if I can get the network driver online after I have installed XP, wouldn't I be able to just go to the HP link and download everything from that page? See, I'm not that much of a geek yet...lol

DCMerkle

4. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    21:51
    My System

There is a chance that XP will not load a network driver - preventing you from going online with that PC. XP may include it. May not.

Preparation is the key to a smooth job.

I would rather you were a geek than a surgeon. We can fix a PC.