HP 6715b fingerprint scanner - windows 7?

1. power-o6

power-o6 New Member

Local time:
    13:21
    My System

Hi,

i have recently purchased a second-hand HP compaq 6715b and everythings fine appart from i cant seem to get the fingerprint scanner working. The machines default OS is vista but as im sure youde agree.. its terrible. So i installed windows 7. Ive searched all over but, as the computer is a few years old, not many people have one with windows 7. it may be that the software for the FP scanner is only made for XP/Vista. But the majority of vista software works fine on it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciateted as it is really bugging me.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    My System

Hello Power-06! Welcome to PCHF!

We have a splendid team of techs here as well as a very knowledgeable member community and I am sure we will be able to help you :)

I will mark your thread as open and someone will be with you as soon as possible, thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Smokeycheech :D
  3. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    14:21
    My System

Hello power-06

As you can see for yourself in the Maintenance and Service Guide, the fingerprint reader is not sold on all models, and is integrated into the top cover (or K/B deck).

Check if it is connected to the system board, and if the cable is intact.
    (If the system was carelessly serviced, as the K/B deck was removed, it is possible that the fingerprint reader cable was damaged).

Is the fingerprint reader functional under Vista?
  4. power-o6

power-o6 New Member

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the quick reply! The computer definately has a fingerprint scanner, however i am only assuming that it is connected properly. Is there any way i can check it is connected to the system board efficiently without taking my laptop appart? If this helps, on the HP ProtectTools security manager, under credentials manager - Multifactor Authentication, it does say that fingerprint authentication is 'Not Registered'. password authentication and virtual token authentication are both registered but i dont no how to register it (if it is even possible). Unless this indicates that it is not actually connected. I dont have vista on a disk (i would try it with vista if i had it). I really hope you guys can crack this!

Many thanks!!
  5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    07:21
    My System

I have PMed Georgeks to let him know that you have returned, power-06. Thanks for your patience!
  6. georgeks

Local time:
    My System

Hello power-06 and my apologies for being absent from this thread..:notworthy

I would like to ask if it is possible to answer with more information Monday, as I have access to more technical resources at work.

A quick look at the HP site for your product, revealed that the software package installing the Fingerprint Reader is called HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite. (see the attachment about what it does)

As I did not know what Operating System flavor (..a technical term :p) and version (32/64-bit) you are using, here is the Download Drivers and Software site for the HP Compaq 6715b you can select/download it yourself.

In the mean time, can you please check if you have the latest BIOS version available?
    DCiAdmin likes this.
  7. georgeks

Local time:
    My System

Hello again

There are no fingerprint reader related issues on that model, and Windows 7 does not provide integraded support for that device.

For that device to function, users are directed to install the appropriate driver from HP ProtectTools software package available from HP site (use the link I have already provided).
  8. ShaunEX

ShaunEX New Member

Local time:
    16:21
    My System

9. power-o6

power-o6 New Member

Local time:
    My System

I have downloaded that driver and all required software and it still says it is 'Not Registered'. Still cannot register anywhere! When i select ProtectTools Security Manager Setup, there are six images surrounding the ProtectTools logo (all representing a different security method). There is one representing the fingerprint scanner but it is not in colour like the rest and is faded (also a little padlock sign is situated beside it). As i go through the setup, it allows me to setup other thing like a password, but doesnt mention FP scanner. Does anyone know exactly what 'not registered' means in this context?
    Thanks in Advance!!
  10. georgeks

Local time:
    My System