How to disable CD/DVD burning??

1. rookie

rookie New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    02:51
    My System

Hello all

I was hoping someone could help? I need help in disabling the CD/DVD burning option on a number of PC's. The PC's still need to read information, just not be able to burn.
    If i go to the LOCAL POLICY (gpedit.msc) i can disable the burning facility for Windows Explorer, but this does not change any settings with Media Player. I've also tried inserting a logon script, but again it only works for Windows Explorer and not Media Player.
    Can anyone provide any info on how to disable the CD/DVD burn facility on Windows Media Player, or even how to delete this program altogether?

Cheers
  2. ladygreenwitch

ladygreenwitch New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    18:51
    My System

:) Hey Rookie,

My personal welcome to PCHF. We have a terrific team of techs here, as well as a very helpful and experienced community of users, and I feel certain that you will get the answer you are looking for.

I am marking this thread as Open in order to notify everyone that you are looking for help.

Just to clarify, you need for the users to be able to read a CD but not burn a CD, correct? It seems strange that your Operations people did not just purchase CD Roms to begin with, but no matter. Are all of the machines running XP? What make and model are the CD burners?

Looking forward to your reply,

TTFN

LGW
  3. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Click Start > Run > msconfig > Services

Untick IMAPI CD Burning COM Service

Not sure if that is just for burning from Explorer or if it works for all burning apps such as Nero...I'm sure you can test it though.

Once you tick it, click Apply > OK to make the changes and restart.

If Nero or other programs can still burn you may want to install them into a hidden, shared or Administrator folder then other users can't access it. Assuming other users are on Limited accounts.

To remove WMP go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components

And untick Windows Media Player

You will still need to disable the service because users can still burn files from Explorer (I think)
    ladygreenwitch likes this.
  4. rookie

rookie New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    My System

Thanks Amtech

Going into MSCONFIG seems to work fine. Once i unticked the IMAPI service i couldn't burn from either Windows Explorer or WMP.

Thanks once again.
  5. ladygreenwitch

ladygreenwitch New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    18:51
    My System

:) That's terrific Rookie,

Amtech is a fabulous, and really knowledgable member here. I am going to mark this one Answered. Please remember to recommend us to your friends and family. We look forward to seeing you in the forums, for fun and education, hopefully not problems. ;)

TTFN

LGW