Hook-up of CD-RW/DVD-Rom Drive

1. donco1937

donco1937 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    21:16
    My System

I have a LITE-ON IT CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive model SOHC-5236K that I recently purchased off E-Bay. I installed it into my HP Compaq DX2200 w/operating sys XP Professional. I bussed the pins 'Slave' but it doesn't operate. When I bussed 'CS' The DVD played but when not using the computer and it went into sleeping mode the computer and DVD player light flashes and to restart the cmpter I have to shut the system dn by holding in the on/off sw. There is also a cable that came with it for Analog Audio. Do I hook this up? In the CS mode I disconnected the cable and got better sound. Can you suggest better or proper hook-up?

2. ladygreenwitch

ladygreenwitch New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

:) Hey Donco,

Welcome to PCHF. I am sorry that it has taken us so long to get back to you. We have a great team of techs on site, and I feel sure that we can have you set up properly very quickly.

First of all, I want to make sure that I understand everything that you listed.
    1. In the Slave setting, the DVD does not work at all,
    ? Is it recognized in the BIOS?

I want to make sure that I am understanding this part in-particular so I am adjusting the puctuation a bit, is this what you meant?

When I bussed CS, the DVD Played. But, when not using the computer, and it went into sleeping mode, the computer and DVD player lights flash, and to restart the computer, I have to shut the system down by holding in the on/off switch.

2. So with the pins bussed to CS, (please specify what you mean by that term so that there are no misunderstandings), you cannot get the PC to recover from hibernation, you have to actually turn it completely off from the switch, to get it to respond. Correct?

Regarding the cable would it be possible for you to post a shot of where you had it connected, and where you disconnected it from?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

TTFN

LGW

3. donco1937

Local time:
    My System

On the back of the CD/DVD Rom there are three sets of pins that require a buss to be added. They are Master, Slave & Cable Select. I bussed the 'Cable Select' and the DVD worked. The problem of locking up occurs when the cmptr goes into the hibernation mode. I do have to turn off the computer by holding the switch in for about 4 seconds and then turn it back on. The Audio CAble I found I didn't need it so removed it. I went into BIOS and found the following:

In BIOS

CMOS SETUP UTILITY
    • PATA Ch0 Master [AUTO]
    • Access Mode [AUTO]

STANDARD CMOS FEATURES
    • PATA Control [ENABLED]
    • PATA Ch0 Master [LITE-ON Combo SOHC-5236K]
    • PATA Ch0 Slave [WDC WD800AB-22CBA0] (This is 2nd HD)
    · SATA Controller [ENABLED]
    · SATA Ch 1 Master [NONE]
    · SATA Ch 2 Master [ST3808110AS] (This is 1st HD)

I don’t understand why the CD/DVD is labeled as MASTER. Is this causing my problems? Presently the computer locks up when the ‘Windows XP’ screen appears.

To night it was locked up again so I went back into BIOS and clicked on 'Reactivate defaults.' The computer took a little time but come up and running. This BIOS thing is dangerous to mess with. I'm a novice to say the least.

Any help getting this computer to work normally again would be greatly appreciated.

Don

4. ladygreenwitch

Local time:
    My System

:) Hi Don,

Thanks for that, very much appreciated :). One more question. When you use the hard restart, (pressing the on/off button), does the PC go through an entire reboot?

I am going to refer this to our Tech Team Leader, I want one of our Hardware Gurus to work with you on making sure all of the settings are correct. :mrgreen:

Keep an eye out for their post.

Looking forward to your reply,

TTFN

LGW

5. donco1937

Local time:
    My System

Hi Ladygreen. Yes, the computer goes through a complete boot up. Sometimes after the first screen which would allow for getting into the BIOS by pressing F10, the next screen will flash 'C: Start with CD' but it starts without inserting a bootup CD. I believe that the bootup sequence which lists the CD/DVD Rom as Master is mislabelled but I didn't know how to change it. I did go into the Bios and attempt to resequence the bootup sequence but it didn't seem to fix my problem.

I just found a paper sent to me sometime ago by HP that is a Computer Setup (F10) Utility Guide. I am going to study it to see if I can get anything out of it. I'll let you know.

Don

6. donco1937

Local time:
    My System

Hi Ladygreenwitch. I looked through the HP Computer (F10) Utility Guide but I am not qualified to determine what to setup. I did go into the 'standard CMOS feature' and conducted a HDD self text of each of the hard drives in Sata and Pata which texted ok. Other than having trouble with restarting once the computer goes into hibernation it seems to work ok.

Don

7. ladygreenwitch

Local time:
    My System

:) Hey Don,

I am going to refer this to our Tech Team Leader, to have him assign this to one of our Hardware Gurus.

I want to make sure that we have the exact bussing, and connection details.

Keep an eye out for their post.

TTFN

LGW