H P printer keeps reinstalling

1. keith66

keith66 Member Gold Member

Local time:
    22:42
    My System

I keep getting messages " Installing software device"
    Each time the process completes the Printer the printer information in the control panel changes and I get another printer number added as an option .
    e.g the Original name was HP Photosmart C5180 Series but it has added HP Photosmart C5180 ( copy 1) as a printer and then (copy 2 ) and the ( copy 3) etc
    Each time it tells me my device was installed OK and asks me to register but I registered right at the beginning when I bought it.
    My Printer is :-
    H P Photosmart C5180 ALL IN ONE.
    Purchased 25.8.07
    Printer Scanner Copier
    My Computer is an HP Pavilion Laptop dv9000 & O S is Windows Vista Home Premium
    The connection from the laptop is via a USB Cable
  2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Using different ports would result in a new installation. If you'd leave it on the same USB port it shouldn't start a "Detected New Hardware" installation!

Disconnect the printer from the USB port then download Nirsoft USB viewer run it, and check if it sees your printer as being installed.

Most USB printers need to have the printer driver installed before you connect the printer to the computer, did you install the printer this way?
  3. keith66

Local time:
    My System

Hi Hengis,
    Yes I always use the same USB port.
    Yes, the nirsoft detects the All in one.
    Purchased All in one in 2007.
    Purchased Vista Laptop in Feb 2008.
    Firm I bought Vista Laptop from installed printer on laptop and I watched him do it and feel sure he installed drivers first.
  4. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Keith

Click Start > Run and type in msconfig

Click OK.

Go to the startup tab and untick anything in the 'Command Row' that says Hewlett Packard in it. On this PC I have one item called hpbpsttp. You may have more.

This should fix the problem. Let me know if it doesnt.
  5. keith66

Local time:
    My System

Hi,

I get several HP items up on screen but am wary about deleting them in case they are important for other things.

The HP things I am getting are.
    1. HP Quick Play
    2. HP Quick Launch
    3. HP Quick Touch on Screen Display
    4. Hp Health Check Scheduler
    5. hpwuSchd application
    6. HP Wireless Assistant
    What do I do next??
  6. Amtech

Local time:
    My System

hpwuSchd application

Just untick the box for that. It doesn't delete the item, it just stops it from starting up automatically every time you logon.

If you do need it for some reason you can start it manually from Start > Programs > Hewlett Packard.
  7. keith66

Local time:
    My System

Thanks Amtech,:)
    I have unticked the hpwuSchd application - I could tell that the other items were not printer related but I didn't know what this one was.

I note what you say that unticking doesn't delete the item, it just stops it from starting up automatically every time I logon.

I will monitor the situation and will let you know how I get on.

It does look like a start up issue as when I logged on this morning it wanted to reinstall the printer again.
  8. Amtech

Local time:
    My System

If that doesn't fix it then you could either untick the HP items one by one or just untick them all to do the same thing faster.

I had the HP printer reinstall randomly when someone else tried to print...so now I have two copies of the same printer. HP printers are funny.

I would say that if it isn't the item I suggested above, it is either Quick Play or Quick Launch. If you untick those and keep your printer plugged into the same port, the problem should go away.
  9. keith66

Local time:
    My System

Thanks - I have restarted the laptop and didn't get "installing new device " message so perhaps unticking hpwuSchd application has fixed it - If not I will untick the others.
  10. Qiaozhi

Qiaozhi New Member

Local time:
    My System

Solution to problem

If your HP USB printer keeps trying to reinstall itself, then here's the solution:

I have a Windoze XP machine with an HP PhotoSmart C4280. Every time the printer is switched off and on again, Plug and Pray decides that this is a new USB device and wants to reinstall it. I have noted that many other people have the same problem with different HP printers and also with Vista. There does not appear to be a solution posted anywhere, and HP Support are clueless. So ... after some head scratching, I've managed to fix it, and here's what you need to do:

1. Go to Control Panel > Printers and Faxes and delete the printer.
    2. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager.
    3. Right-click on Universal Serial Controllers and uninstall DOT4USB (or similar).
    4. Switch off the printer and disconnect the USB cable. Then reboot.
    5. Insert the HP Printer CD.
    6. Select Uninstall Devices from the menu. Uninstall everything shown in the menu and reboot.
    7. With printer still switched off and disconnected, start the installation from the HP Printer CD. Note: there should be no option to Uninstall in the menu.
    8. Select Easy install, and wait ... and wait ... and wait .... for HP's bloatware to load.
    9. When complete, print a test document.
    10. Switch off the printer. You should see a message that the printer is disconnected.
    11. After a short period, switch the printer back on, and there will be a message that the printer is ready.

Hope this helps some of you with this annoying problem.

By the way, you can also use the HP PhotoSmart C4280 with Ubuntu Linux. either directly or over the network.