Katallen New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    09:30
    My System

Specs:
    HP Pavillion Notebook
    Windows Vista 32 Bit
    NVIDIA Graphics
    Computer is around 2-3 years old and in great condition, never dropped, spilled on, etc.

For no apparent reason when I restarted my laptop today, it went through the normal welcome screen, before giving me an error: "Error loading NVCPL.DLL" (and on the next line) "Error Performing Inpage Operation" Then when I accept (or even if I dont) a complete gray screen shows up with nothing but my cursor visible. I can move the cursor, access the Ctrl+alt+delete menu, but other than that there are no desktop, bars, etc.

I've tried to load in safe mode and can access the computer, though my McAfee has problems and constantly tries and fails to work (complete with the error messages that accompany that.)

Through some searching I've seen that most blame the NVIDIA graphics drivers. However in safe mode, When I try to uninstall the drivers nothing seems to happen. When I downloaded and tried to install the new Nvidia drivers I got another error message saying "'The application failed to initiate properly" and wont install.

Any help on this situation would be very much appreciated!
  2. Tubes

Tubes New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    14:30
    My System

Grey Screen on Restart - Vista Forums

may help you, it may not. but there is a few things to try there.

i've done a bit of digging, and apperently the problem lies somewhere between Macafe and graphics cards, ATI have a fix for it, but im still looking for an NVIDIA one, so far people are saying boot into safe mode, remove Mcaffe then reinstall drivers from NVIDIA..

sadly i cant tell you if anyone was successful, because there is never a reply.
  3. Tubes

Local time:
    My System

this is a fix according to someone...not my words.

Solved
    After a few more reboots trying to see what processes popped up that may be causing this problem I noticed that the ATI software CCC.exe aka Catalyst Control Center is somehow causing the Grey screen to activate? No ideas as to why, but perhaps someone else knows.

I removed the startup for Catalyst Control Center, and with the result of no Grey screen.
  4. Tubes

Local time:
    My System

This was all down to the graphics card. Having logged in through Safe Mode, I disabled the "Display Adaptor", or graphics card.

I then loaded windows normally, and all was ok but the display was obviously affected. I renabled the graphics card but, after rebooting, the same problem appeared.

I then loaded Windows again through Safe, disabled the "Display Adaptor" again, reloaded windows in normal mode and DELETED the Display Adaptor. I then downloaded the latest driver for the graphics card. I was presented with an error message saying that the relevant hardware wasn't present. However, on rebooting, the graphics card was detected, installed and now all is A OK.

that is another solution i found, i will stop posting anymore on this subject. i dont wanna seem like im bumping my posts
  5. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    08:30
    My System

Hi Katallen,

Welcome to PCHF.

Reboot your computer in to safe mode with networking so that you're able to connect to the net. Download and install driver sweeper from its link in my sig. Next go to control panel and dbl click on system and then click device manager. In device manager expand the Display adapters section and you'll see your video card listed. Right click on it and click uninstall but when it asks to reboot click no.

Now run driver sweeper checking only the checkbox that says NVIDIA - Display click analyze and then clean. When it tells you to reboot click no again because unfortunately you're not done quite yet.

Go to My Computer and then click on your C: drive. Look to see if there is a folder called NVIDIA (it will be directly on the C: drive so if it's not there you don't need to search through any other folders to find it), if it's there delete it.

One more to go. Now go to C:\windows\system32\driverstore\file repository and look for any folder that starts with Nv_display.inf... (the name of the folder will be longer, but it's different for every computer) and delete it. Then go to C:\program files and look for the Nvidia Corporation folder in it and delete it.

You can now reboot and reinstall your drivers. Normal mode should work again because all Nvidia files should be gone.
  6. Katallen

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for all the responses!

Xeno I'm trying yours first (I'm very hesitant to uninstall McAfee unless I'm sure that's the problem, it took a LOT of trouble to get the darn thing installed int he first place.)

My hiccup with Xeno's instructions is that I can not open the device manager at all. Any time I try to open it I get the "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click OK to terminate the application" Error message :\ Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Also I tried to go ahead and run the driver sweeper and I was able to select the nvidia files, and tried to analyze, but once it was all analyzed I couldn't find anywhere that would allow me to clean them? So they were all just listed. . . I dont know if it's the huge resolution that the safe mode forces on my computer or some other reason why I simply can't find an option to clean the files (or do anything else but check and uncheck them)
  7. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

It sounds like you may be infected with a virus. You should follow the prework link in my sig and see if you can run the programs that it has listed.

Skip the device manager part, since you're in safe mode it should work just as well if you don't do that part.

In driver sweeper the clean button should be on the right hand side at the bottom opposite the analyze button. Even before you click the analyze button it should already be there.
  8. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Hmm, I was just looking and apparently you're not the only one having the missing clean button in driver sweeper. Try downloading it from here. - Phyxion.net | Home

If you need to go back to version 2.0.5 instead of using the newest one.
  9. Katallen

Local time:
    My System

Ok that gave me the clean option back :) I'm going to try this all and see what I can do. (And will post when I get through it)
  10. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Good luck.
  11. Katallen

Local time:
    My System

Alright I did everything I could, and it still doesn't seem to be working. Here's the prework I did, if it might help. I'm going to call it a night but I'll be back at it tomorrow :\ Thanks again for all the help, I just hope I can get this all sorted!

Attached Files:

12. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

OK, I'm going to move this to the [New] Hijackthis! Logssection so that our security staff can take a look at it.

By the way, were you able to uninstall and reinstall your nvidia drivers?
  13. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

You said earlier that you had a hard time installing McAfee. What exactly happened when you installed it? You have a ton of errors in your event log and they all started when you installed it.

One thing that could be the problem is that you still have some symantec or norton antivirus programs still running. Try downloading and running the symantec removal tool. - Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
  14. Pancake

Pancake Well-Known Member

Local time:
    23:30
    My System

Looking at your log,which is fine,and reading about your problem,it is not malware related.
  15. Xeno1

Local time:
    My System

Thanks Pancake. One of the errors that came up suggested possible malware so I thought I'd have her check. Moving it back.

So, since it's not malware, the thing I would suggest is to run the symantec removal tool first and see if that solves the problem. If not then uninstall McAfee.