Fuzzy grey image frozen on screen

1. starr92

starr92 New Member

Local time:
    16:39
    My System

I turned on my laptop (Hp Pavilion dv6 on Windows 7), the other day and noticed that the much of the top half of the screen has a big fuzzy grey rectangle across it with some little green and white dotty lines and boxes in the corners. No matter whether i am on my desktop or running a programme, on the internet or word processor it is still covering the top of my screen. At first i thought it must be a frozen image, but i have tried restarting my laptop and changing the background image to see if it goes away. I cannot move it or click on it as the cursor goes underneath this anomaly. I can still click on icons on my desktop underneath this rectangle but i cannot see anything through it which is very frustrating so i cannot properly use any programmes on my laptop without making the boxes very small. I tried print screening my screen, but the anomaly does not show up and the print screen pictures look as if my screen was perfectly normal.

At first i was worried that i had somehow broken the screen but that does not seem to be the case. I did not notice anythin out of the ordinary happening last time i used the computer which would result in this.
    I am not very experienced with pcs but i have tried lots of simple things to get rid of frozen images that did not work and i have scoured pc help forums but could not find anything to help get rid of this particularly odd fuzzy box on my screen. Any suggestions as to how i can fix this?
  2. suspended

suspended Active Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:39
    My System

Does the box also occur in safe mode? If not,this would suggest that something is loading in normal mode that is causing the problem.

Try a system restore to before the image started appearing.
    AMK likes this.
  3. AMK

AMK Rooted Android User Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    18:39
    My System

When you say, it's not the screen!
    Did you open it up and check it?
    Or is that just a theory!

I'd recommend you to open the screen and at the back of the screen.. pull out the LCD cable and plug it back in!

Let me know if you need extra help!

* Proceed with caution *
  4. starr92

starr92 New Member

Local time:
    My System

I have tried a system restore in normal mode, but it hasnt got rid of the fuzzy thing on the screen. I heard that i should try a system restore in safe mode, would that be a good idea?
    Also the fuzzy box is still present in safe mode, in fact i couldn't see some of the options in safe mode due to the fuzzy box.
    I do not know how to open the screen at the back in order to check the lcd cable.
    The only time i have noticed the box "disappear" is for a second when the screen goes completley black during the windows "splash" screen when i turn the laptop on.
  5. AMK

Local time:
    My System

Is it possible to get a Screenshot of this Fuzzy Box ?
    ( just to get a clearer idea for what we are dealing with here! )
  6. suspended

suspended Active Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    11:39
    My System

Could the rectangular box be the menu for adjusting the display characteristics? Try toggling the menu on and off with the controls on the panel. If you have an auto adjustment button, try pressing that. Reset the panel to factory defaults.

Sounds like a problem with the on-screen display circuitry of the panel itself.
  7. AMK

Local time:
    My System

Does the same Fuzzy Box appear when an External Display is connected?
  8. nameisuser

nameisuser Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    10:39
    My System

starr92,

Please give us a better chance by filling out your System Specs.

Here's the procedure:
    HOW TO FILL IN YOUR PCHELPFORUM SYSTEM SPECS

use Speccy or SIW (links in my sig) to gather FULL and COMPLETE info.

[FONT=&quot]Ø[/FONT]..Click on User CP (top left of PC Help Forum window) |
    [FONT=&quot]Ø[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]..Settings and Options (in column on left), Edit Options |
    [FONT=&quot]Ø[/FONT]..Thread Display Options section | System Specs option, Yes |
    [FONT=&quot]Ø[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]..fill in as much info as possible
    PLEASE PLEASE tell us if this is a LAPTOP, NETBOOK, DESKTOP, OR TABLET
    Be sure to tell us the manufacturer of your computer
    Be sure to tell us the model of your computer.|
    [FONT=&quot]Ø[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]..Scroll to bottom, SAVE CHANGES button

Your system specs travel with each of your posts.
    The person desiring to help you does not have to search your posts for your specs.

Do NOT ever post your Windows Product ID/Serial Number which is available under:
    Speccy | Operating System | Serial Number and under
    SIW | Software | Licenses | Windows Product Key
    Do NOT ever post your Windows Product ID/Serial Number.

===========================
    thanks
  9. jay2

jay2 Games developer/shop owner Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Sounds like your actual screen then if a screen print came back clean, maybe try plugging it into a TV or big monitor from an HDMI cable or the Blue VGA cable. Sounds like you need a new screen though, sorry. I know you said that the fuzzy box isn't there if you screen shot, can can you take a photo from a digital camera or camera phone and upload it please?
    AMK likes this.