Full E: Drive but it's not full.

1. JB80

JB80 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    13:26
    My System

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm sorry if it is in the wrong section or you have heard it a million times but I'm pretty much at a stand still right now and don't know what to do or what, if anything has gone wrong.
    I have been searching all day and can't seem to come up with a reasonable explanation plus there are a couple of other issues that I'm not sure about.
    Maybe I'm paranoid but I worry that the computer may be infected.

Firstly I'm using an HP PC and Windows 7 and the main issue is I keep getting a pop up telling me that my E drive is full but it doesn't actually appear to be full. Going into 'Computer' shows me a big red bar and says there is 2MB free out of 698GB and I know for sure that 6 months ago I had 698GB free, there was nothing in there taking up any space.
    So I run a virus check and de-frag but nothing comes up. Same with looking at the hidden folders but there is nothing abnormal there either. I also downloaded 'Disk analyser' to see if anything was taking up the space but I couldn't see anything as obvious as that. I just can't see where this nearly 700GBs is being taken up.

Looking around on the net I kept finding instructions that say you need to disable the notification but not much after that and it doesn't seemed to have done anything other than stop the pop up. I'm still being told the E drive is full so it hasn't really solved anything.

However there are some files that should not be in there at all, I think. For some reason I assume(hope) that windows is udating MRT.exe files to the E drive. I don't know why but there are nearly a dozen of them but only 3 have data, one at 37MB and two 39MB. The rest are all saying '0 bytes'.
    There are also 20 .tmp files that I can't access and all say '0KB', I have no idea what these are or where they came from.
    I think these may not be connected to the full E drive problem but I just don't know.

So I guess my questions are.....

Why is it saying my E drive is full when it's not?
    How can I fix this?
    Why are MRT.exe files being saved to the E drive?
    Is this of any concern and can I change it or delete them?
    Just what are these .tmp file and are they something to be worried about?

I don't know, I hope I haven't left anything out but probably have.
    Anyway thanks in advance for reading and if anyone can help that would be great.

2. GravitySphere

GravitySphere Member Elite Member

Local time:
    04:26
    My System

Try right clicking the drive, selecting "Disk Cleanup," going to more options and selecting cleanup under System Restore and Shadow Copies.

MRT.exe is related to the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool from what I've looked at online.

3. JB80

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the reply.

I just did the disk cleanup like you said and to a degree it worked a bit, I now have 134GB free of 696GB but I am still getting the notification but it has changed from 'Low disk space' to 'Check backup disk space' and can't tell what is using the rest of the space, if anything. But all of the files and folders that were in there are still there.

And yeah, I don't think the MRT.exe folders I need to worry about but I'm not sure, I could remove them but I think they will just come back with the next windows update.

4. nameisuser

nameisuser Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    06:26
    My System

jb,
    One thing that would help is your System Specs.
    View attachment SystemSpecs.zip

To really clean out temp files use:
    TempFileCleaner from OldTimer.
    TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer - Geeks to Go Forums

After running, and the subsequent reboot, of TFC then:
    install and use CCleaner for your daily cleanings.
    Link for CCleaner in my signature.

A good way of getting a handle on what's taking up so much space is:
    TreeSize Free:
    JAM Software - Windows Freeware

Keep a good eye on the amount of free space. If the free space continues to decrease, then it's time to turn you over to the malware removal chaps.

Is the E: drive your system drive, in other words, contains the \windows folder?

Incidentally, there should only be one mrt.exe on your drive and located in \windows\system32. This is another reason why I strongly suspect malware.

In fact, would you please click on the PreWork link in my signature so that you can submit the info that the malware experts need?

JB80 likes this.
  5. nameisuser

Local time:
    My System

jb,
    MRT.EXE is the name of the executable file for the Malicious Software Removal Tool from Microsoft.
    Here is a link to a MS article on MSRT.
    The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows XP

Here is another link which has an excellent explanation:
    Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software ~ Security Garden

MSRT is not a prevention tool but rather a removal tool.

6. JB80

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the links and info, I have updated a bit of my specs, I'll try and do the rest when the kids settle down and I can think a bit clearer.
    If there is anything more specific needed let me know and I'll try and dig it up.

So I should run those programs and it's not going to affect anything else?
    Just because I don't know what is going on I'm a bit cautious is all.

I have included a screen grab of what it's showing in my E drive if it helps at all. My E: Drive is really a nothing drive, there has never been anything in it with any data at all and I never put anything in it, I think it's for a system restore but I have a D: drive with a recovery folder in it. My C: has the /Windows folder.

I had seen at a couple of places people saying that the MRTs tend to install funny sometimes and it's nothing to worry about but then again others have said that malware can use it so I'm not too sure what's going on there. I do have an MRT application in System 32.

I will also fill that form out today too.

Attached Files:

7. nameisuser

Local time:
    My System

I'm extremely experienced. I'm not one of your overnight wonders. I've been doing this for decades.

Run those programs please.

8. JB80

Local time:
    My System

Sorry, I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

OK I have run both the TFC & CCleaner and rebooted and they removed a few MB from the system but nothing from the E: drive. It still shows the same as what is in the picture I posted earlier.

Using the TreeSize program what should I be looking out for? There doesn't seem to be anything using 600+GB.
    There seems to be a guest operating but I don't know if thats normal or not and it's only using 25mb, it leads me to some edbres00001.jrs files and stuff about Windows mail.

9. JB80

Local time:
    My System

I have ran into a minor issue with the OTL download in the prework page. The tool has downloaded in French presumeably because I'm in Belgium which would be useful if I could speak French, I can wait till my wife comes home tonight unless there is a way to change the language setting?

In the meantime here is the aswMBR scan.

Attached Files:

10. nameisuser

Local time:
    My System

Maybe someone else can explain the language aspect of OTL. I do not use the program myself.

When you say guest operating system, could you give more details?
    To help me better understand your system,
    HOW TO MAKE A SNAPSHOT OF DISK MANAGEMENT DISPLAY for PCHELPFORUM
    Run disk management:
    WIN | type DISKMGMT.MSC | ENTER
    WIN is the key with the wavy flag.

Maximize the output of Disk Management:
    ALT-Spacebar key combo (this pops up a menu) followed by X key (selects Maximize) |
    Drag the field separators (such as between Status and Capacity) to show entire field. This is very important, otherwise, needed info is not visible.

Make a snapshot:
    WIN | type SNIPPING | ENTER | New
    Drag the cursor around the area you want to snip.
    File | Save as | select save location and name | Save

Post the snapshot:
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Click on the Paperclip in that row of icons at the top of the message box.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]BROWSE button.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Navigate to the folder containing the snapshot.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Click on the snapshot.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]OPEN
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]UPLOAD button.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Close the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS window.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Position the cursor at the spot in the message where you want the
    snapshot to appear.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Click on the PaperClip .
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Click on the file which you want to insert
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Attach code will be inserted into your message.

====================================

11. JB80

Local time:
    My System

Like this?

To explain the guest user better I haved posted a screen grab from the tree size program from where I saw the guest user.

However while using the same program I have found where a lot of the GB are in the E:drive, I will also post an attatchment with that screen grab too. I don't know how much of that is normal backup or not.

Attached Files:

12. nameisuser

Local time:
    My System

The Guest is a user account. I recommend disabling this account.

Your big space user is your backups.

Personally, I do not let Windows perform automatic backups, but rather backup manually when I feel there is a need for such.

I also do not let Windows decide what is to be backed up but rather specify what is to be backed up.

If you desire to turn off the guest account, then:

Control Panel | top-right, choose View by: Small icons | User Accounts |
    Manage Another Account | Click on the Guest Account and choose to disable

Is your computer use for home or for business?

If for home, then perhaps I can suggest a backup strategy which will not eat away at your disk space.

13. JB80

Local time:
    My System

I will disable it as we never log on as a guest yet it says it's last access was today.

I find it odd though that 6months ago there was nothing saved in that drive at all, I don't know why it has suddenly started backing up there and why it tells me that there is 0 bytes in all the folders when they are full.

It's a home computer, I think it is a good idea to change how this is working.

edit:Incidently this may solve another unrelated issue I have with RAW & TIF picture files occassionally.

Can/should I delete this data?

14. nameisuser

Local time:
    My System

jb,
    Win 7 likes to assume that a home owner would be like a company and want to make frequent back ups of everything.

What I recommend is to periodically make a System Image Backup and not to make data backups.

Why you ask?

The system image backup actually makes a backup of the selected drives.
    The backup is stored as a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) file. The VHD file contains everything. You can always restore a file/folder from the VHD file.

I do believe in System Image Backups because if you ever end up with a disaster, then you can always recover back to the state prior to the disaster.

I make a system image backup to an external USB drive, but one can also make a System Image Backup to an internal HDD.

The one "gotcha" is that you can't back up to yourself, that is, in your case, you can not back up the E to the E.

I want you to go to a command prompt, that is,
    WIN | type CMD.EXE | ENTER

enter this command followed by the Enter key:
    wmic useraccount list brief /format:table > %userprofile%\Desktop\UserAccountsBrief.txt

then enter EXIT followed by hitting ENTER.

That command line put a file on your desktop with the name UserAccountsBrief.txt.

Either attach that file to your next post or just paste it in.

WIN is the key with the wavy microsoft flag on top.

15. JB80

Local time:
    My System

I like the sound of backing up manually, it makes more sense anyway to me especially if the way it is is filling my system up. And we do have an external HD somewhere that I could use.

Attached Files: