Flash Drives are no longer recognized

Solved
  1. rcaastro

rcaastro New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    04:14
    My System

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for my problem, but I've been all over the internet and have found similar problems but no easy solutions. I'm running WIN 7 on my home pc and transferred some files via a Flash Drive to a laptop running XP Pro to go on a trip. Upon my return I update my home pc with the data from laptop/FD; I've done this with no problem many times. Upon my return this time my home pc will not recognize the FD. I've updated the driver, checked Disk Management, etc all to no avail. The FD isn't recognized and neither is a second FD I tried. They both work on the laptop. HELP...and thanks.

2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    09:14
    My System

Do any other USB devices work on the Windows 7 PC?

3. rcaastro

Local time:
    My System

No. I tried 3 different flash drives and an iPhone. Nothing was recognized.
    After installing several Microsoft and McAfee updates and about 3 reboots, I finally threw in the towel and went to bed, but first, "Let's do one more reboot." And then, Ta Da! the flash drives were recognized!
    Sounds like an intermittent, perhaps? Curiously, the home pc was shut off for 3 weeks while I was away. It worked fine before I left, and upon my return the adventure started. Any thoughts on the cause?
    Thanks for looking.

4. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

5. rcaastro

Local time:
    My System

Good morning Antman. I followed your suggestion and indeed I have 4 USB Hubs (2 Generic USB Hubs and 2 USB Root Hubs) and they all had the Power Management box checked. I unchecked them as the link suggested, and perhaps that may be a part of the solution. I can see how the FDs would become inoperative if they had been in an operating pc for a while. However, as I reported above, the FDs are recognized now, even with the boxes checked (after last night's nth rebooting). . Thanks for the help.

6. Antman

Antman Banned

Local time:
    My System

I understand. At this point, time is the only available test.

However, the possible causes of the reported problem are limited. It is reasonable to conclude that this was the cause.

There is an alternate fix. You could re-enable the feature. When/if the problem presents again, open Device Manager, select the PC item (top of tree).

Click Actions
    Select Scan for Hardware Changes

This will (attempt to) power on each USB resource.

Should we mark this problem as Solved?

7. rcaastro

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for the help. I'm going to keep the info for the next time this occurs, which hopefully is never. Meanwhile, yes, it's solved. Thanks again.

8. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    09:14
    My System

GJ Ant. Marked as Solved and closed.