flash drive has RAW file system, how to fix?

Solved
  1. kahafeez

kahafeez New Member

Local time:
    22:16
    My System

i've a usb thumb drive........suddenly its file system changed to RAW instead of FAT32 or NTFS......how to change it back???? please help..........i'm so much worried cz i borrowed it from someone........its not even mine..........be quick plz.....no format no nothing..........the pie diagram is full blue..........0bytes free and 0bytes used.........what to do :-O..........no format no nothing.............when i click format nothing happens.........no format window appears...........the right-click option menu disappears and nothing happens.....tell me way plz..........i dont want the data just need to make the pen drive work again..........the drive attaches and detaches normally...........thanks in advance..........

2. madmonkey

madmonkey Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Re: flash drive has RAW file system, how to fix????

Hello kahafeez, welcome to PCHF

The drive will show a RAW if that partition is corrupt. This can occur if the USB pen was removed whilst writing data to the drive at the time it was removed.

If you don't require the data, here is what you need to do:
    - Go to My Computer, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
    - Go to Storage > Disk Managment group on the left, and then right click on your USB drive on the right.
    - From here, you should be able to remove the RAW patition and then create a new one as FAT.

3. Zachary

Zachary New Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    16:16
    My System

I didn't know that....good tip, that's why I always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon though....just incase

4. madmonkey

madmonkey Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

No prob's. Marked as Answered. :)

5. breeze

breeze New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    15:16
    My System

Re: [Answered] flash drive has RAW file system, how to fix????

Hi kahafeez. just wondering if this fixed your usb stick. Reason I ask is I threw out 2- 1gb sticks that had the same problem. will have to make a note of this.

6. mhegz

mhegz New Member

Local time:
    My System

Re: [Answered] flash drive has RAW file syste

hi,

i got the same problem, as i bought a new 2gb flashdrive and save some data on it. when i try to open it, instead of fat32 file system it turns into RAW. and i try to go administrative tools, computer management and so on... trying to format my USB but still dont work. does anyone knows other steps on how to format and make my flashdrive usefull again? i'm using Service Pack 3 XP O.S...